The Real Lucille!

From Wikipedia:

During a performance, two men began to fight, knocking over the barrel and sending the burning fuel across the floor. The hall burst into flames and was evacuated.

Once outside however, King realized that he had left his guitar inside so he went back into the burning building to retrieve his beloved $30 Gibson guitar. King learned the next day that the two men who started the fire had been fighting over a woman who worked at the hall named Lucille. King did not know Lucille but named that guitar, and every guitar he subsequently owned, Lucille, as a reminder never again to do something as stupid as run into a burning building or fight over a woman.

I once named a guitar, a fantastic Stratocaster I owned a few years ago. It was the best strat I had ever played, holding notes like no other and feeling like a beast. I named it Mr. Beast. I thought I could make it even better by upgrading the hardware and pickups to higher quality parts. In the end, only the wood was stock, yet the guitar played poorly. It took me ages before I sold it, only because I had formed an emotional attachment due to giving it a name. It taught me two things: don't name your guitars, and don't modify them if they already sound and feel great.

On a serious note, I never fell much into naming my guitars with just a couple of exceptions. I bought the SE CE24 Satin I modded to be sort of a Frankenstein guitar, so I tend to refer to it as Francis and referred to the one in my profile as Cocoa, but I can't remember ever naming others.

As I have a roather large musical family and gig weekly I took to putting a lable on the cases ( painters tape as to not mar) with their names on them as so many cases look the same ( Alembic and Knaggs use the same cases) The Artists make it ease with the Paisley . I name them because they each have personalities , and while I'm always me ..each one brings out a slight variation on how I play because of the tonal and aesthetic differences.

I only have one guitar that I've given a name to.
I don't normally name my guitars, but in this case, it seemed appropriate.
See if you can figure out why I named this semi-solid Heritage guitar with EMG active mini-hums... "Darth Maul".

Heritage-2017-H155-01.jpg

Heritage-2017-H155-03.jpg

Yes, that's an Ebony fingerboard with no inlay, red side marker dots and red tone dials.
The quilted Maple cap covers the Mahogany body which is entirely hollowed out to form one huge "chamber" except for the part where the bridge and neck are joined to the body similar to how they build a Gibson 335. So it's like a solid body version of a semi-hollow body guitar. Extra woody tone from the body to go with the mini-humbucker tone.

Oh yeah... To invoke a Star Wars quote, "Now there are TWO of them..."
This is one of only two like it in existence.

Never named any of my guitars. I just refer to them as "this one" or "that one."

Back