The Re-Issued McCarty

Ok.... The dishes are done man... I chose Black Cherry with an ebony fretboard, 58/15's and an anodized stop tail piece. 2-3 months... *sigh*....

This thing thing is going to be magical... :)

You have chosen...wisely!

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to put into words exactly what is the difference between the 85/15 pickups and the 58/15s?

Yes. Paul R. Smith said in an interview in Guitarist magazine that the difference is that the 58/15s have covers, and the other ones don't. So they're a little less bright.

I don't know what a "Tardis" is, but in English, the preposition "on" is used with regards to vehicles in which one can stand, e.g. a boat or an airplane, which is why we ride *on* a boat or *on* a bus, but we ride *in* a car.

But to get back to the McCarty...
I understand that it is thicker than a Custom, but is it as thick as the SC 245?

Has there been any of these pop up yet? I haven't seen much talk about these since they were announced

I have one on order. I'll do a full report at some point whenever it comes.

But my docs tell me I'm still 4 or so weeks away from being able to play. So...hopefully someone else will chime in.

I have one on order. I'll do a full report at some point whenever it comes.

But my docs tell me I'm still 4 or so weeks away from being able to play. So...hopefully someone else will chime in.

Thanks, Les! If nobody else says anything, I'll be looking forward to your review. Good luck with your recovery!

Some have hit the UK already, but they were pre-sold so not available to try at dealers. Patience... :)

Alright, I'm confused -- what's the difference between a Custom 24 and the McCarty? Slightly different scale length...or rather, number of frets/same scale...and slightly different thickness? I'm asking here because I was just having this argument with a friend over the weekend -- I said that PRS does a lot of variations on a theme with the Custom 24 and I mentioned the McCarty, and he said it's a completely different guitar, and that he could tell the difference with his eyes closed.
"I came on Fight 42."
Did you mean, "...Flight 42..."?

And considering one of the most frequent phrases/sentences used in the show refers to its internal volume, I'd say 'in' is appropriate.

number of frets/same scale...and slightly different thickness?

That's mainly it. Different pickups historically, different tuners as well in the past (they used to use vintage tuners but the 2015 model has Phase IIIs). Also a different neck carve.

Finally, the McCarty is only meant to use eastern maple so you'll never see a quilt top on one. The CU24 is obviously available with a quilt option.

You mean like this:
296_cranberry-3.jpg

Alright, I'm confused -- what's the difference between a Custom 24 and the McCarty?

The scale length is the same, there are 22 frets like the Custom 22, the pickups are arranged like a CU22 though they're different pickups, and there is a thicker mahogany slab for the body.

The McCarty has been its own beast ever since its introduction in the mid 90s.

Older McCartys also had vintage style tuners, the new ones have Phase III.

Also: the McCarty has a different switching system, a standard 3-way, typically with a pull-up pot for single-coil operation, whereas the CU 24 has a 5-way switch in which only two positions are equivalent to settings on the McCarty. (the CU 22 may have either, right?)

And, typically, the McCarty has a stop (wrap) tailpiece whereas most CU 24s have a vibrato.

Back