The one you should have pulled the trigger on.

Rawbeartoe

Dude
I want to know what was the guitar you wish you would have bought when you had the chance! Whether you had the funds or not or something about the deal turned you off.

In the late 80s I passed on a 1953 Les Paul Goldtop with trapeze tailpiece and P-90s for $3500.

Because it looked like something that people now pay to have their guitars look like.

Yeah, maybe I should have pulled the trigger on it.

Late 90's, I was looking for a guitar from my birth year. I found a really clean '57 Goldtop Lester for $5500. I blinked and the price went up to $9500. Then, $15K... No idea what they're selling for now...

In high school, a local shop was selling a 1959 Flametop Les Paul for $10,000. May as well have been a million bucks. But I DEFINITELY should have grabbed it.

A limited edition Les Paul "stealth" it was black with purple binding and EMG active pick ups. but to afford it I would had to have sold my PRS to afford it, so I didn't get it. I still search eBay and used market places now to see if one comes up.

Many years ago now... Saw a PRS rosewood limited TREMOLO for sale out of Chicago on eBay for $7500. Should have!

Another deal I've mentioned here before. PRS employee guitar. McTrem with P90's and maple neck. Guitar was sold but buyer had gone silent. I told the seller I'd give them another day if they had both agreed to a deal. Buyer was ready to sell to me. Next day, buyer showed up. I lost.

For me it's a more recent deal. GC is/was doing a clearance and offered me a Wood Library Custom 24 Floyd in Obsidian for $3,500. Not being fond of Obsidian I didn't go for it, but in retrospect since they were giving me $1,200 off the guitar, I could have probably kept it a while and if I couldn't get used to the color, resold it at a profit.

A number of years ago I was laid off. During the "in between" time I learned of a yard sale that had a few guitars. One was a 50s Gibson J-45. I don't remember the price, but I thought it both a bargain but more than I could justify spending as I didn't know how long it would be before having a regular income again. I did think about buying it to flip, but knowing me I'd play it and wind up keeping it.

Besides that a number of years ago used/vintage shop had a 70s Fender Princeton Reverb for $500. At the time I thought the price was a little high, but not now. And I think about how many vintage Champs I could have bought for under $200 or so and didn't.

There was a 53/10 with the most amazing top Ive ever seen on it on eBay a few years ago. PS is out of my league so something this beautiful in a budget I could swing was very rare. I even took out a line of credit to buy it. I messaged the seller saying I wanted it and he told me he would NOT end the auction early or take a deposit to hold it and he was letting the auction run. Faiir enough. Well, with less than a day left, he pulled it and told me he sold it. I was heartbroken. Still am, actually.

I later came to find out our friend Ang owned it which makes it hurt even more that its not in the family! :(

I passed up a Steinberger GS around 1999 for $700. I was on tour and couldn't justify spending that kinda dough 2000 miles from home...you know, just in case. Man, did I blow it! You can't buy the neck for that guitar for that price now and know I'll always want one.

A few months ago when the West St. LTD prototype was on eBay for an incredible price I talked Hans out of selling me his, so he could buy it.... I don't really regret that decision though, I don't want to live my life feeling like a guitar poacher. Would have been bitchin' though, and his is waaaaaay cooler anyway.

Two - early 80s, local store was doing buy one get free on Washburns. Washburn had an Ace Frehley model I wanted to check out. Didn't have those. My buddy and I were checking out a Dean like one Elliott Easton used, and I saw a goldtop Les Paul. $400. I was making pretty much minimum wage, but I put it on layaway and bought it. What I didn't have the money for were the other TWO LPs, one $400, one $440. One of those was a three-pickup black LP Custom.

The other - 1987. My mother had broken her leg the year before, and several of us in the family had chipped in to give her money towards a Les Paul that she'd wanted. I took her shopping, and pointed out several other alternatives - one of which was an 86 or 87 PRS. But that full story will appear soon in the My PRS thread...

This Artist SC satin showed up used in a local GC for a ridiculous price. I should have pounced, but I hesitated because of the gold hardware and Klusons. Should have jumped!

This Artist SC satin showed up used in a local GC for a ridiculous price. I should have pounced, but I hesitated because of the gold hardware and Klusons. Should have jumped!

SILLY, SILLY, MAN. THAT JUST PLAIN "KILLS" !!!

There are 3 guitars that come to mind:

- An Artist 2, extremely faded indigo top...Jamie (a.k.a. Dr. Foot) bought it when it was on the open market...2nd from the left in his old PRS Artist Family shot:
attachment.php

- PS 253 - An HB1 P-90, one piece top, turquoise, 12th fret bird...had my chance at it a couple of times and just didn't pull the trigger.
253.jpg

- PS 379 - An SC Trem, HB Bridge and P-90 Neck in Platinum Metallic with birds flying off the fret-board (reverse direction).
379.jpg

Last edited:
Is it OK to lament about an amp? I'll do it anyway because this one still gets to me a bit.

On a visit to my local GC about ten years ago, my regular sales guy showed me a used Trainwreck amp (wood enclosed head and cab) that they just took in. It was just as they were starting to gain the cult status they now have, but they weren't there yet so it was priced ay $3500. Needless to say, I passed on that one. Yes, idiotic.

I want a Tonare Grand like nobody's business, disgusted I couldn't pull the trigger. Funds not available and this was dirt cheap, never seen on go this cheap. Think it sold for $2300. I'm honestly gutted. The only thing I might've wanted was the carbon fiber rod rather than a truss rod.

That would have been an amazing price for that guitar.

Is it OK to lament about an amp? I'll do it anyway because this one still gets to me a bit.

On a visit to my local GC about ten years ago, my regular sales guy showed me a used Trainwreck amp (wood enclosed head and cab) that they just took in. It was just as they were starting to gain the cult status they now have, but they weren't there yet so it was priced ay $3500. Needless to say, I passed on that one. Yes, idiotic.

I passed on a Dumble for around $11k some years back. At the time it was outrageously expensive but I actually could afford it. Just wasn't my thing. If I would have had a clue how much they would continue to go up in value, I'd have it.

Back