The One Pedal you MUST have. Home. Studio. Gigs

csquared

Besides the obvious tuner
What is one pedal that you have at all times. You simply can't imagine plugging in without.
I know this gets brought up now and again, but I feel like it's always good to re-discuss, especially as new tones and so many new models are hitting the market.
For me it's the Morley Bad Horsie.
I'm mostly a plug into the amp guy. I've had a lot of dirt pedals. Had a few chorus pedals. But gotta have a wah.

I don’t have a specific pedal but I absolutely must have a delay with at least four presets.

It seems I can do a lot with a delay.

One setting that I use and probably seems odd to most is a delay with a medium to long delay time but I have regen set pretty high and I use it for volume swells. The regen needs to be set high enough to produce ridiculous sustain and be controllable. Also, it must be spillover so when I switch away from it the effect remains.

My biggest issue has been settling on an amp. I played my PV 5150 for 20 plus years and was happy with it until I really got into recording.

Now i listen to professionals and get frustrated not being able to get a tone to die for.

It's almost been a curse. A few times I've gotten pi$$ed and thought about just selling all of my gear and giving up.

Gotta have my Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor.
My bitchin’ staccato mosh riffs never worked with Boss gates, they gradually close in like, a fade rather than clamping up real quick.

I don’t have a specific pedal but I absolutely must have a delay with at least four presets.

It seems I can do a lot with a delay.

One setting that I use and probably seems odd to most is a delay with a medium to long delay time but I have regen set pretty high and I use it for volume swells. The regen needs to be set high enough to produce ridiculous sustain and be controllable. Also, it must be spillover so when I switch away from it the effect remains.

My biggest issue has been settling on an amp. I played my PV 5150 for 20 plus years and was happy with it until I really got into recording.

Now i listen to professionals and get frustrated not being able to get a tone to die for.

It's almost been a curse. A few times I've gotten pi$$ed and thought about just selling all of my gear and giving up.
If I could have only one effect it’d be delay.

Gotta be a volume pedal With a PRS. The guitar does its part. All I want is more volume and dirt when I solo. And then there’s the ability to chnage dynamics with the band. And then there’s the Larry Carleton type swells….I better stop now, this could get tedious……..

For me it has to be an overdrive. It can be one of a few depending on the amp. For me, chorus and delay are icing on the cake. The OD is part of my foundational tone. I play clean to medium gain tones. Some of my amps have reverb in them. If I turn that on at all for live playing it is set very low because it multiplies by the time it comes out of the PA. With an OD pedal and my volume knob, I can get a range of tones to do what I need to do. I typically run fairly dry in a band context anyway. So not having those pedals wouldn't hold me back. My board has as many OD pedals as it does all of the others added up. It is literally half OD pedals.

For me it has to be an overdrive. It can be one of a few depending on the amp. For me, chorus and delay are icing on the cake. The OD is part of my foundational tone. I play clean to medium gain tones. Some of my amps have reverb in them. If I turn that on at all for live playing it is set very low because it multiplies by the time it comes out of the PA. With an OD pedal and my volume knob, I can get a range of tones to do what I need to do. I typically run fairly dry in a band context anyway. So not having those pedals wouldn't hold me back. My board has as many OD pedals as it does all of the others added up. It is literally half OD pedals.
I'm the same way. 1/2 of my board are OD pedals. The other 1/2 are my tuner, delay and reverb.

But I don't gig with that board. Especially not if I'm playing through a Deluxe Reverb.

I just bring an OD pedal and maybe a Compressor that I use as a boost.

That's a good point about guitar amp Reverb being multiplied by the time it comes out of the PA.

Last edited:
Back