The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

This pic makes me think of the title of one of my favorite songs of all time - "Fire and Water"!

IMG_0455_zpsugsw5fom.jpg

Quilty!! :)

NICE!

I can hear Paul Rodgers singing...

I was so focused on the front I overlooked how KILLER the back is. I really like the darker color with the microburst. They did a great job with the electronics covers as they blend in so well. Don't get me started on the heel....

I was so focused on the front I overlooked how KILLER the back is. I really like the darker color with the microburst. They did a great job with the electronics covers as they blend in so well. Don't get me started on the heel....

Thanks, Brian!

I agree, I think I like the back almost as much as the front. I really like the Microburst. It gives it a richer, darker vibe, while still really highlighting the gorgeous wood grain on the back.

And yeah, that heel cap - LOVE IT!!

IMG_0470_zps7vg4fy4m.jpg

So I finally got some time on a 594 ( at my house on my gear Thanks Bodia ) Brian C also stopped by :) , Bodia also brought a couple of other killer guitars !!! Great Time.

Review from a long scale guy :)
The 594 I tried was a Wood Library with a 59/09 bridge and was a stunning guitar ( I was too busy playing to take a pic ) As others have said these are super guitars, Tons of sustain , nice balance between the between the bridge and neck, started out on my H both clean and with gain. I did try the splits BUT the Humbucker tones are so good the splits pale in comparison.
I really enjoyed the middle position and rolling the volumes up and down :)
The neck is very nice, full but still quick , The scale length is no problem for me I really had a tough time feeling the difference between it and some 25" scale guitars. TO ME the neck feels closest to my 513 as far as neck carves go, and similar to my bigger WF necks. So verdict for me , its a great PRS
Then I plugged it into my trusty old MKII Mesa and I started to understand the fuss a bit more. It just had something cool going on a special thump to the bottom and a clean high end and full mid.
It seems to take me longer these days to fall in love with new guitars but I can see the need for one of these, like my MEII there is a projection that comes from a thick body and big necked well made guitar.
I hope to get my mits on some more of these in some of the other wood types and an SC ( as I am really lite on SC guitars ) soon

Just spent a few feverish hours reading about the 594. So happy you all are liking it. I appreciate all the details and large percentage of positivity!
I am now going to get one. I was wondering a couple things.
I had a 2014 CU22 that had the black back finish and it was slightly sticky. Sold it because of that one issue.
I see that these also have a percentage of black finishes. Are the clear V12 finish less sticky than the black? I also like satin finish on my Goodall acoustic. I see a few satin 594's out there too.
Anyway I love this fat neck / thick body and pickups. I am also looking forward to a maple neck trem design down the road because I play the split tones on my Quatro as much as the hums. I play with a Fender flavored Tone King (big cab, 5 knob reverb, and monster trem) Meteor II 20. I like more cleans than driven songs. SO I am looking for a 594 with warm split tones as well as all the hum capability.

Should I stick with both 85/15LT's, or will a 59 bridge PU give me even greater split tone (tele and middle position trumpet tone)?
Also I am 61 and I see the weights go from low 7's to mid 8 lbs. I am pretty sure I want a mahogany body and neck with the fixed bridge.
Can I get away with a light one? Or play it safe with a 8 plus ?

Keep up all your detailed reviews. Hope to have a NGD soon.

Tip, I've had several with black backs, and none were sticky; in fact, except for the nitro finished Private Stocks, PRSes are all clear-coated with the same stuff front and back regardless of whether they're stained or opaque, if memory serves. So maybe you just got a strange one?

The relationship between weight and tone mystifies me. I've had killer sounding light ones, and killer sounding heavier ones, and have finally come to the realization that no two wooden instruments are going to sound identical, so the thing is to just play 'em and see which one I like, or these days, have my dealer send me an iPhone clip of the guitar through a good amp (my dealer is 800 miles from me!).

Anyway, at 61 you're a whippersnapper compared to me! ;)

So I finally got some time on a 594 ( at my house on my gear Thanks Bodia ) Brian C also stopped by :) , Bodia also brought a couple of other killer guitars !!! Great Time.

Had a blast! Nice to meet Brian C too. Looking forward to doing it again! Glad I could help fuel your GAS!

Just spent a few feverish hours reading about the 594. So happy you all are liking it. I appreciate all the details and large percentage of positivity!
I had a 2014 CU22 that had the black back finish and it was slightly sticky. Sold it because of that one issue.
I see that these also have a percentage of black finishes. Are the clear V12 finish less sticky than the black? I also like satin finish on my Goodall acoustic. I see a few satin 594's out there too.
Anyway I love this fat neck / thick body and pickups. I am also looking forward to a maple neck trem design down the road because I play the split tones on my Quatro as much as the hums. I play with a Fender flavored Tone King (big cab, 5 knob reverb, and monster trem) Meteor II 20. I like more cleans than driven songs. SO I am looking for a 594 with warm split tones as well as all the hum capability.

Should I stick with both 85/15LT's, or will a 59 bridge PU give me even greater split tone (tele and middle position trumpet tone)?
Also I am 61 and I see the weights go from low 7's to mid 8 lbs. I am pretty sure I want a mahogany body and neck with the fixed bridge.

The LT pickups are fantastic. I know folks are getting good results with a different bridge pickup, but I think part of the 594 tonal magic is the identical bridge and neck pickups.

The great majority of 594s I've seen have been right at 8 lbs or a little above. Anything below about 7 lbs 10 oz seems rare. It's a PRS, so they'll all sound good. ;) Go with whatever floats your boat. Wilcutt has a 7.5 lb in satin Black Gold Burst. I'd love you to buy that one so I can live vicariously through you.

Tip:

Great that you are interested in the 594! Those Quatro's were great, I had a couple and dug those 5310's, I would love to find a set somewhere and try them again in a 594.

See my below comment from tonight over on the SC 594 thread, related to DC 594 weight:

For the many DC 594's I have owned, I have found the ones that weighed between about 8 pounds 3 ounces to 8 pounds 6 ounces to feel and sound the best, or at least feel the best. That was freaked me out a bit how consistently that was the case. The lighter ones all felt GREAT on a strap ergonomically of course, but the feel of the resonance of the guitar just felt "right" in that 8.5 pounds give or take range. And I have learned that that "feel" is just as important to me as the tone, and has a big impact of which ones end up being keepers and which ones do not.

YMMV of course, and my "context" is very different, I play most in full-humbucker mode, with EL 34 Marshally amps, and less so clean and more so with a crunchy gain tone for blues and rock - a different world than you describe above, with a Maple Necked 594 (which I am dying to try!), split tones and a Fendery Amp (Tone Kings are GREAT!).

Look forward to your review when you snag one!

-Pete

Pete, I agree with your quote about feel. I largely let weight be my guide when picking a guitar, rather than getting caught up in the intangible differences we hear when we play. Even if something sounds and plays great, if it's too heavy, it won't balance right for me and will fatigue my shoulder and take me out of my comfort zone.

Generally, I find that 7 pounds is my sweet spot, but I played a couple 594s that were about 8 and they didn't feel bad at all. Mine at 7 lbs, 11 oz felt great over the course of a four set gig. I think it's partly due to the great balance and ergonomics of that shorter neck on the PRS double cut body.

Wow! Pete, I just caught up on this thread, and your newest PS may be my #1 favorite electric guitar that I've ever seen. Now I just need to figure out how I can afford to spec a clone of it!

Back