The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

"All is good now... " So this is the last guitar? Right Pete ?

Well, I do have a few Private Stock 594's on order. ;)

The one is spec'ed in March is expected by the end of the year, a Semi-Hollow with no F-Hole in Citrus Glow, I am pretty excited about that one! The other two will be next year, as the Private Stock lead time is a lot longer now. One with a Korina Neck, the other with the body in Singlecut thickness.

Given all that, I do hope to chill out on impulse buys on WL and Core 594's, that's for sure! :)

You can probably relate Les, my collection didn't feel quite complete without a "Hammer of the Gods" type of guitar! All is good now... ;)

I'd offer to be your buyer when you're ready to spec your own version, as I said in another thread, but my surgeries kind of disrupted my year. :(

Because I'd rock that thing and never let go.

Hey Pete. You should try a set of wizz pickups or ox4 pickups in these awesome 594's. I have some wizz sets and have heard great things about ox4 hot Duanes. If you want to try a set of wizz before you buy some I can send you my extra pair and you can send them back when you figure out if you like them. They are true pat style replicas and have an amazing feel and tone to them. I am living vicariously through your purchases but my jaw hit the floor with that new s.c. All I can saw is wow!

Hey Pete. You should try a set of wizz pickups or ox4 pickups in these awesome 594's. I have some wizz sets and have heard great things about ox4 hot Duanes. If you want to try a set of wizz before you buy some I can send you my extra pair and you can send them back when you figure out if you like them. They are true pat style replicas and have an amazing feel and tone to them. I am living vicariously through your purchases but my jaw hit the floor with that new s.c. All I can saw is wow!

Thanks for the tip, Rapdog! (And the offer!)

I will check these out online, reviews, YouTube, etc.

So, a great "Honeymoon Weekend" with the Singlecut 594!

It was quite the awesome N5D Friday, but having two days of weekend with no work to enjoy the new beauty was even better. And I had some visitors! Always awesome to see and hear someone else play your new gear, it is a whole different perspective in experiencing things, and to get their input.

First up was my friend and guitar instructor, Matt Engler. He is also a PRS Fanatic, owns several PRS and that is his primary gigging brand. He even snagged a SAS from me a few years back, that I got on a trade from Howard Leese.

IMG_0063_zpskevhquxc.jpg

With the light coming in behind him in this pic, we joked that the 594's looked like they were floating in mid air. So when he posted the pic to Facebook, he said "I've died and gone to PRS heaven!" ;)

Matt totally dug the Singlecut 594, and agreed with my assessment that it was perhaps my most awesome PRS yet. He has been working with me for 6 years or so now, so he has seen some pretty awesome guitars go through the collection!

Great guy, if anyone in the Chicago area wants a great instructor, I recommend him highly, he upped my game a lot to help me in my band, prepped me for a couple of tours, including two gigs at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! He even filled in for my other guitarist at a gig in 2013 when the guitarist's wife was sick and he couldn't make the gig. With no rehearsal whatsoever with the band, he did great, he's got mad skills! And I guess I prepped him well! ;) (Matt is on the right below, it was a cool outdoor gig in Downtown San Francisco.)

Dealmakers+GigaOM+112.jpg

Here is his info and how to track him down, for anyone interested:

https://www.reverbnation.com/mattengler

Anyway, he has been REALLY impressed with the 594's, and really dug the SC this weekend.

What was also great was that he played the Vintage Sunburst 594 with the ThroBak Peter Green PG-102 pickups in there, and he was completely blown away by those as well! If you guys recall, those pickups had promoted that guitar to my #1 of 6 594's, they just absolutely sound amazing. To have his reaction be similar was great, it validated to me that my feelings about it were on-target. It was one of those things for me like "wow, is it me, or did these pickups just turn this guitar into a complete tone machine?" - so having that independent validation was cool.

The second visitor was BrianC from the Forum here, earlier today.

IMG_0075_zps5cpnkhxh.jpg

Brian and I played a bunch of stuff during his visit, we compared some of the Doublecut 594's, the Green Metallic with the Lollar High Winds, the Vintage Sunburst with the ThroBaks, and the Private Stock with the Stock 5815 LT's in there. And of course, the Singlecut 594. He was doing some pickup swaps, so he while he did want to check out the 594's and the new SC, he also wanted to compare the various pickups in the 594's. We also ran through the Amps, the Bogner ATMA through a Marshall 4x12 with V30's, the Yamaha THR100HD (also through a Marshall 4x12 with V30's), and the Tone King Sky King with a Friedman BE-OD in front of it. The Amps were all great with these great guitars!

Comments from Brian (and Brian, feel free to add additional thoughts) - he thought the SC was great, and agreed it was perhaps the best Singlecut guitar I have owned. He really liked the IRW SC Ted's I had (one resides with Bodia now, another with goof1073), but he did think this SC was at least slightly better. That being said, he really likes the 3 Doublecut 594's he played today, and felt those were within a few percent as great as the SC, that the difference between the great 594's and the SC 594 was a subtle nuance that was getting into the "cork sniffing" zone! ;)

I thought that was a really interesting comment. I agree the Doublecut's are absolutely amazing, and my favorite guitars on the planet until the SC arrived to claim the throne, but to me there is a nuance where I do like the SC more.

That begs the question - what is it? The tone? The feel? There is a feedback loop that occurs, in my opinion, when playing a guitar - you experience what you are hearing, feeling, seeing, and you react to that to be inspired for what you do with that as you continue. So with this SC, is it that I like the tone better, or is it that the sum of the parts of the whole experience is better? I think both, actually, because I heard the difference when Bryan was playing, very subtly, as he said.

And when you are playing it, it is also how it feels and how it makes you feel. It feels so substantial, and the way it resonates and kicks back on you, both into the left hand from the neck, and into your body from the body of the guitar, that just feels awesome, electrifying. Many of my greatest PRS guitars have been like that, the Faded Red Tiger PS 594 included, but this one does so in a different way, from a perspective of substance and girth that feels more so deserving of the greatness that is occurring at that moment. Psychological? Perhaps. But really freaking AWESOME wherever it comes from!

Sorry to be so intellectual about this, just trying to share my thoughts and reactions with the group here! ;)

He is a huge fan of the 594 scale length, relative to the 24.5" scale. (He is first and foremost a 25" scale kind of guy, with a Custom 24, Singlecut Trem and P24 being his primary guitars these days.) He found the 245 scale too short, he had a Santana in his collection over the years, and also had one of my DC 245 Private Stock's for a while, the one that is now Howard Leese's "Root Beer". He says he finds the 594 scale much more playable than the 24.5" high up on the neck, and a little cozier than the 25" scale (in a good way) down in the lower frets. I agree, that 24.594" scale length is perfect for me, no more 24.5's or 25's in the collection at all, nor will there be. (But I am crazy like that in a singularly focused sort of way. At least I am mixing it up now with and SC in with the Doublecuts!)

He agreed with my assessment (and Matt's) that the ThroBak Peter Green PG-102's sound totally awesome in the Vintage Sunburst.

Also Brian commented that the stock 5815 LT's sounded a lot hotter in the SC than in the Faded Red Tiger PS 594. 8 pounds 9 ounces of wood surrounding those babies in the SC, 7 pounds 5 ounces in the 594, interesting. That leads me to another though. While the SC rules the roost right now for favorite tone, if I were headed to a gig, it would get passed over for a McCarty 594, which is much lighter and thinner, more ergonomic to play. (Thinner anyway, with a neck closer to the body - maybe not lighter, the PS is light 7.5, but all of the Core/WL 594's are 8 pounds or heavier...)

Thanks, Matt and Brian, appreciate your friendship and support!

P.S. Brian also really dug my new guitar chairs from Soundseat, see above in the pic of him - they are indeed awesome!! :)

Last edited:
Subliminal messaging? It seems that the SC594 is the closest Paul has come to a pure LP design. The tape over the Blade Knots looks like the famed trapezoid inlays at a quick glance.

Ha! Funny you should say that Tiboy, I thought the exact same thing when I saw my DC 245 Private Stock in a similar state on the PSF thread in late 2014:

img_4997-jpg.2516

;)

Okay guys, sorry to totally hog this thread over the past few days with my Singlecut 594 N5D!

Let's resume to talk from everyone else on their great 594's, experiences and thoughts! :)

Ha! Funny you should say that Tiboy, I thought the exact same thing when I saw my DC 245 Private Stock in a similar state on the PSF thread in late 2014:

img_4997-jpg.2516

;)

Okay guys, sorry to totally hog this thread over the past few days with my Singlecut 594 N5D!

Let's resume to talk from everyone else on their great 594's, experiences and thoughts! :)

This man looks like Adam Sandler working on that PRS.

MA PETE, I love the statement by Brian :" ...and felt those were within a few percent as great as the SC, that the difference between the great 594's and the SC 594 was a subtle nuance that was getting into the "cork sniffing" zone! ;)
What a wonderful way to state differences in each type of guitar! Brilliant! I believe when as a group, those in the private stock group, talking about such subtle differences, are like drinkers of a specific alcoholic beverage, maybe, wine or scotch, discussing the subtlies between differing bouquets of each in it's representative group. ;)

Pete, your entire post was one of the most enjoyable posts I've read. I loved the comparisons, validations from other players, but I especially loved your encapsulation how there is a resonance and response that a player feels that is a huge part of the "X" factor that makes one guitar shine above others. Its not entirely a sonic thing. In my experience, a guitar gives the player a degree of feedback in the way it resonates and responds under your fingers. A great guitar, IMO, is one that inspires me to create, to use a variety of touch sensitive nuances that are translated to the listener.

That begs the question - what is it? The tone? The feel? There is a feedback loop that occurs, in my opinion, when playing a guitar - you experience what you are hearing, feeling, seeing, and you react to that to be inspired for what you do with that as you continue. So with this SC, is it that I like the tone better, or is it that the sum of the parts of the whole experience is better? I think both, actually, because I heard the difference when Bryan was playing, very subtly, as he said.

And when you are playing it, it is also how it feels and how it makes you feel. It feels so substantial, and the way it resonates and kicks back on you, both into the left hand from the neck, and into the body from the body of the guitar, that just feels awesome, electrifying. Many of my greatest PRS guitars have been like that, the Faded Reg Tiger PS 594 included, but this one does so in a different way, from a perspective of substance and girth that feels more so deserving of the greatness that is occurring at that moment. Psychological? Perhaps. But really freaking AWESOME wherever it comes from! Sorry to be so intellectual about this, just trying to share my thoughts and reactions with the group here! ;)

Last edited:
Wow, I am exhausted from Pete's post - in a GOOD WAY. He is so detailed and perceptive.

My 2 cents are:
  • ALL of the 594's are great. There is a much higher level of consistency in tone than before which was already pretty darn goo.
  • Mass seems not to matter. One of the best tones came from the lightest 594.
  • The scale length may be the best yet. As Pete said I have been locked in 25" land. So much so I have passed on about 60 of Pete's prior sales. I liked playing chords on the 24.5s but leads higher up got way too tight and cramped for me. My gripe with 25" has been it can be a bit of a stretch for some things on the lower frets. ie a shuffle in G. This scale seems to be a happy medium or balance.
  • The SC 594 is simply THE MOST AWESOME SC PRS HAS EVER MADE.!!! Example I love Marshalls and their tone it was always how good is it compared to a Marshall until I finally got one. (90% as good, 98% 99%...) With PRS and the LP it was always close but something was missing. At times I thought it was all in my head, but no THIS IS IT! The thicker body, the scale length and the sum of the all the parts. I have a perfect SCT and never thought I would want an additional SC but now....
  • I am confused by the whole LT thing. LTs in the past were great if you did not like much gain and wanted a great clean to classic tone. These LTs on the recent 594s were real nice at higher gain.
  • I like CU 24 for the upper fret access and I like the tone of a traditional SC. I also prefer a trem. Hopefulle we will see a 594 CU24 with the thicker body and all the other things incorporated in the 594s.
Other Misc stuff
  • I am still amazed by the Yamaha amps tones at 6 pounds and 100 watts. Perfect for lugging to practice.
  • The Bogner Atma is the best deluxe lunchbox amp with great tone and three channels (maybe a dibs here)
  • But the biggest thing in amps for me is not an amp its the Friedman BE Pedal. It is TOTALLY GAME CHANGING. It can take ANY clean amp and transform it into an amazing monster. Here is how I am using it. I have a Marshall JVM 210H with 4X12 (modded) ch1 sparkling clean ch2 hot rodded JCM and I use the BE with the clean channel to give me a ch3 that is Modern, Recto Alt etc. Well worth every penny for $200.00.
How lucky am I to be Pete's friend and live 10 minutes away?????

So, a great "Honeymoon Weekend" with the Singlecut 594!

It was quite the awesome N5D Friday, but having two days of weekend with no work to enjoy the new beauty was even better. And I had some visitors! Always awesome to see and hear someone else play your new gear, it is a whole different perspective in experiencing things, and to get their input.

First up was my friend and guitar instructor, Matt Engler. He is also a PRS Fanatic, owns several PRS and that is his primary gigging brand. He even snagged a SAS from me a few years back, that I got on a trade from Howard Leese.

IMG_0063_zpskevhquxc.jpg

With the light coming in behind him in this pic, we joked that the 594's looked like they were floating in mid air. So when he posted the pic to Facebook, he said "I've died and gone to PRS heaven!" ;)

Matt totally dug the Singlecut 594, and agreed with my assessment that it was perhaps my most awesome PRS yet. He has been working with me for 6 years or so now, so he has seen some pretty awesome guitars go through the collection!

Great guy, if anyone in the Chicago area wants a great instructor, I recommend him highly, he upped my game a lot to help me in my band, prepped me for a couple of tours, including two gigs at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! He even filled in for my other guitarist at a gig in 2013 when the guitarist's wife was sick and he couldn't make the gig. With no rehearsal whatsoever with the band, he did great, he's got mad skills! And I guess I prepped him well! ;) (Matt is on the right below, it was a cool outdoor gig in Downtown San Francisco.)

Dealmakers+GigaOM+112.jpg

Here is his info and how to track him down, for anyone interested:

https://www.reverbnation.com/mattengler

Anyway, he has been REALLY impressed with the 594's, and really dug the SC this weekend.

What was also great was that he played the Vintage Sunburst 594 with the ThroBak Peter Green PG-102 pickups in there, and he was completely blown away by those as well! If you guys recall, those pickups had promoted that guitar to my #1 of 6 594's, they just absolutely sound amazing. To have his reaction be similar was great, it validated to me that my feelings about it were on-target. It was one of those things for me like "wow, is it me, or did these pickups just turn this guitar into a complete tone machine?" - so having that independent validation was cool.

The second visitor was BrianC from the Forum here, earlier today.

IMG_0075_zps5cpnkhxh.jpg

Brian and I played a bunch of stuff during his visit, we compared some of the Doublecut 594's, the Green Metallic with the Lollar High Winds, the Vintage Sunburst with the ThroBaks, and the Private Stock with the Stock 5815 LT's in there. And of course, the Singlecut 594. He was doing some pickup swaps, so he while he did want to check out the 594's and the new SC, he also wanted to compare the various pickups in the 594's. We also ran through the Amps, the Bogner ATMA through a Marshall 4x12 with V30's, the Yamaha THR100HD (also through a Marshall 4x12 with V30's), and the Tone King Sky King with a Friedman BE-OD in front of it. The Amps were all great with these great guitars!

Comments from Brian (and Brian, feel free to add additional thoughts) - he thought the SC was great, and agreed it was perhaps the best Singlecut guitar I have owned. He really liked the IRW SC Ted's I had (one resides with Bodia now, another with goof1073), but he did think this SC was at least slightly better. That being said, he really likes the 3 Doublecut 594's he played today, and felt those were within a few percent as great as the SC, that the difference between the great 594's and the SC 594 was a subtle nuance that was getting into the "cork sniffing" zone! ;)

I thought that was a really interesting comment. I agree the Doublecut's are absolutely amazing, and my favorite guitars on the planet until the SC arrived to claim the throne, but to me there is a nuance where I do like the SC more.

And when you are playing it, it is also how it feels and how it makes you feel. It feels so substantial, and the way it resonates and kicks back on you, both into the left hand from the neck, and into your body from the body of the guitar, that just feels awesome, electrifying. Many of my greatest PRS guitars have been like that, the Faded Red Tiger PS 594 included, but this one does so in a different way, from a perspective of substance and girth that feels more so deserving of the greatness that is occurring at that moment. Psychological? Perhaps. But really freaking AWESOME wherever it comes from!

Sorry to be so intellectual about this, just trying to share my thoughts and reactions with the group here! ;)

He is a huge fan of the 594 scale length, relative to the 24.5" scale. (He is first and foremost a 25" scale kind of guy, with a Custom 24, Singlecut Trem and P24 being his primary guitars these days.) He found the 245 scale too short, he had a Santana in his collection over the years, and also had one of my DC 245 Private Stock's for a while, the one that is now Howard Leese's "Root Beer". He says he finds the 594 scale much more playable than the 24.5" high up on the neck, and a little cozier than the 25" scale (in a good way) down in the lower frets. I agree, that 24.594" scale length is perfect for me, no more 24.5's or 25's in the collection at all, nor will there be. (But I am crazy like that in a singularly focused sort of way. At least I am mixing it up now with and SC in with the Doublecuts!)

He agreed with my assessment (and Matt's) that the ThroBak Peter Green PG-102's sound totally awesome in the Vintage Sunburst.

Also Brian commented that the stock 5815 LT's sounded a lot hotter in the SC than in the Faded Red Tiger PS 594. 8 pounds 9 ounces of wood surrounding those babies in the SC, 7 pounds 5 ounces in the 594, interesting. That leads me to another though. While the SC rules the roost right now for favorite tone, if I were headed to a gig, it would get passed over for a McCarty 594, which is much lighter and thinner, more ergonomic to play. (Thinner anyway, with a neck closer to the body - maybe not lighter, the PS is light 7.5, but all of the Core/WL 594's are 8 pounds or heavier...)

Thanks, Matt and Brian, appreciate your friendship and support!

P.S. Brian also really dug my new guitar chairs from Soundseat, see above in the pic of him - they are indeed awesome!! :)

Great write up! And, to boot, I'm getting ready to look at a new guitar chair, and some lessons!

Wow, I am exhausted from Pete's post - in a GOOD WAY. He is so detailed and perceptive.

My 2 cents are:
  • ALL of the 594's are great. There is a much higher level of consistency in tone than before which was already pretty darn goo.
  • The scale length may be the best yet. As Pete said I have been locked in 25" land. So much so I have passed on about 60 of Pete's prior sales. I liked playing chords on the 24.5s but leads higher up got way too tight and cramped for me. My gripe with 25" has been it can be a bit of a stretch for some things on the lower frets. ie a shuffle in G. This scale seems to be a happy medium or balance.
  • The SC 594 is simply THE MOST AWESOME SC PRS HAS EVER MADE.!!! Example I love Marshalls and their tone it was always how good is it compared to a Marshall until I finally got one. (90% as good, 98% 99%...) With PRS and the LP it was always close but something was missing. At times I thought it was all in my head, but no THIS IS IT! The thicker body, the scale length and the sum of the all the parts. I have a perfect SCT and never thought I would want an additional SC but now....
  • I am confused by the whole LT thing. LTs in the past were great if you did not like much gain and wanted a great clean to classic tone. These LTs on the recent 594s were real nice at higher gain.
  • I like CU 24 for the upper fret access and I like the tone of a traditional SC. I also prefer a trem. Hopefulle we will see a 594 CU24 with the thicker body and all the other things incorporated in the 594s.
Other Misc stuff
  • I am still amazed by the Yamaha amps tones at 6 pounds and 100 watts. Perfect for lugging to practice.
  • The Bogner Atma is the best deluxe lunchbox amp with great tone and three channels (maybe a dibs here)
  • But the biggest thing in amps for me is not an amp its the Friedman BE Pedal. It is TOTALLY GAME CHANGING. It can take ANY clean amp and transform it into an amazing monster. Here is how I am using it. I have a Marshall JVM 210H with 4X12 (modded) ch1 sparkling clean ch2 hot rodded JCM and I use the BE with the clean channel to give me a ch3 that is Modern, Recto Alt etc. Well worth every penny for $200.00.

Love the "outsiders" perspective too! Thanks for adding this!

and by "outsider" I mean someone not blinded by all things 594 :D

Here's the website. Still on the fence. Prices aren't bad. I'm using something similar right now. If I ordered one of these, it would mostly be for the foot rest.

http://www.soundseat.com/models.php

Thanks. That's not too bad. But I too have been using a hydraulic drummers throne with a seat back for years. All that I am missing is wheels but its prety easy to move around my small mancave/music studio office (Aka - converted bedroom) LOL

Pete, your entire post was one of the most enjoyable posts I've read. I loved the comparisons, validations from other players, but I especially loved your encapsulation how there is a resonance and response that a player feels that is a huge part of the "X" factor that makes one guitar shine above others. Its not entirely a sonic thing. In my experience, a guitar gives the player a degree of feedback in the way it resonates and responds under your fingers. A great guitar, IMO, is one that inspires me to create, to use a variety of touch sensitive nuances that are translated to the listener.

Thanks for the kind words! I am glad you enjoyed and connected with the post, it was a pretty "deep" post for me, I had to dig deep to put it into words. I think I have always sort of known those things, but I have never before experienced a guitar that put that so much in my face.

I was playing it yesterday after Brian left, and some strange things happened. I was so much enjoying what I was hearing and feeling from the guitar, I was thinking about how much the guitar tone sounded like my favorite guitar players, as I was noodling around and processing that, and very subtly licks and phrasing popped in play that were things I don't normally play, that reminded me of certain things that I love to listen to, early Clapton, Peter Green, Page, etc. Normally to come up with anything remotely new, I have to painstakingly break specific pieces down and learn note for note, and practice them diligently until I ingrain them into my muscle memory and repertoire. But in just playing this magical instrument, new things were coming out of nowhere, small subtle things, a lick, some phrasing, a different note emphasized, etc. It freaked me out in a good way, in a good way.

Maybe I am growing as a guitar player, and this special guitar is dragging me there more quickly, showing me the way! :)

My 2 cents are:
Other Misc stuff

Thanks Brian! Appreciate your additional comments.

I am lucky as well to have you 10 minutes away, I always appreciate your inputs, very complementary to my thoughts. Sometimes we agree 100%, which is great validation, and sometimes you bring some additional insights to the table that are also greatly appreciated!

It was really great to have both you and Matt validate how great this SC 594 was, I feel more sane now. I was so smitten with it on Friday that I thought I was losing my mind, seriously.

Yesterday you also made me really appreciate that Faded Red Tiger PS 594, when you were playing that, it sounded incredible. Not too rough on the eyes either! It is always cool to see other people play your favorite guitars and hear how great they sound, and how awesome they look.

And yes, that Yamaha head is great! I played it a bunch later, got rid of that minor hiss, had to go from 16 Ohms to 4 Ohms on the head and switch to the other Mono input on the 4x12, that fixed that, and then I switched it from 25W to 100W and cranked it up, holy cow it sounded great!

I did end up snagging that Original Sewell on Reverb right after you left. Sewell #3 for me, I just keep coming back to the amp! ;) These 594 Tone Monsters are going to sound awesome through that beast...

Great write up! And, to boot, I'm getting ready to look at a new guitar chair, and some lessons!

Glad I could help on both counts! I recommend Matt very highly as an instructor. Fun guy as well, is a PRS nut and loves the history of rock as much as I do!

Love the "outsiders" perspective too! Thanks for adding this!

and by "outsider" I mean someone not blinded by all things 594 :D

Admittedly biased, guilty as charged! See my new signature. ;)

You guys will likely notice that I am splitting the Singlecut 594 discussion off into a different thread. I have a sneaking suspicion that may develop into a meaty discussion in and of itself in the coming months... :)

Thanks. That's not too bad. But I too have been using a hydraulic drummers throne with a seat back for years. All that I am missing is wheels but its prety easy to move around my small mancave/music studio office (Aka - converted bedroom) LOL

Ditto!

Alright. I've helped drag this thread off topic enough! Back to the show. I wanted a more classic and typical 594 to go with my more wild PS594 I posted previously. I was able to snag one of Willcutt's WL brazilian board run, and I could not be happier. VERY vintage looking and sounding. These 594s are special, but in a different way than the McCarty SC PS run. I love both, and I'm NOT considering getting rid of my McCarty SCs. I am still enamored with the 24.5 scale.

Kevin

20161010_174036.jpg
20161010_173955.jpg
20161010_174127.jpg

Back