The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

My Goodness that flame and shade speaks to me! Mmm, my my my. LOVE it. Is that a Core 10-top? Stunning. Are the ThroBak Peter Green PG-102's low wind and as clear as the stock 58/15LT's? And are the ThroBak's Coil tapped?

Okay guys - so I have an N5D coming tomorrow. So before I get distracted with something new and shiny, I wanted to provide an update here on living with several 594's for a few months now, and having an opportunity to compare them, and having fun in swapping a decent amount of pickups through them as well.

(....Snipped other text)

But the one that has blown me away as to how much it has transformed the guitar is the ThroBak Peter Green PG-102's in the Vintage Burst. Since I threw those in there, that instantly became my number 1, and it has remained that way ever since. (We'll see if it remains that way tomorrow!)

(Again, the stock pickups are AWESOME, and I will probably always have those in one or two of my 594's, but having different pickups in a few more gives me my own justification on owning several - so far that is working for me!) :)

The way this one plays and sounds now, I just don't want to put it down, and the others don't get as much play.

IMG_1016_zpsieqk9bys.jpg

That is a very interesting thing about having 5 of the same model in the collection, seeing which ones you grab the most, and thinking about why (and why not). Not only do I connect the most with this one with regards to how it sounds and plays, when I look at it, it is every good DC 245 Ted I owned over the years, and every 59 Burst Les Paul my idols played, all wrapped up into one awesome guitar. It doesn't get any better than that!! ;)

I probably play on average 3 of the 5 every day (mostly at night), but this one has risen to become my favorite. It wasn't at first, that took some time, and a killer set of pickups!

Stay tuned here tomorrow...

My Goodness that flame and shade speaks to me! Mmm, my my my. LOVE it. Is that a Core 10-top? Stunning. Are the ThroBak Peter Green PG-102's low wind and as clear as the stock 58/15LT's? And are the ThroBak's Coil tapped?

Thanks!! This one is a 10-Top, a Wood Library 594 from the Willcutt's run. One of the things cool about this run was that the run was spec'ed on March 1st, when I was there at PRS with Eric of Willcutt's, playing Paul's Charcoal Burst prototype 594, spec'ing my first Private Stock 594 (which I should get by the end of the year, a Semi-Hollow with no F-Hole). I did not participate in the Wood selections for this run, as I have for previous Wood Library Runs with Eric, as I was too busy in the Private Stock Vault diving into my first experience with the 594 (my GOM arrived to me later that week, Eric had already played it and was gushing about it). So cool that I was there when the woods for this guitar were hand-picked!

The ThroBak PG-102's are not low wind PAF's, they are a bit on the hotter side for PAF's, 8.6K bridge and 8.2K neck, with long A5 magnets. To me they are a great balance of still being very vintage in tone, but having good mojo and girth that sometimes the lower output ones can lack in certain situations/tones.

This wouldn't be a NPS5D...would it?? :eek:

It is not my March 1st spec'ed Private Stock. ;)

N5D!

Most mind-blowing NGD ever. Not sure if I have ever claimed that before, but this is the grand-daddy of all NGD's. Ever.

My heart and racing 100 miles per hour, and I have tears in my eyes. I am speechless. Best guitar I have ever played, heard, came within 10 feet of.

We are now ushered into the next chapter of this magical 594 experience with Paul and team!

IMG_9209_zpsbyuxbrr4.jpg

HOLY SHNIKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's so killer! I've been looking at #1 on Reverb for a few weeks, but this is another level all together. Congrats Pete!

Brilliant, Pete!!! Can't wait to see the rest. That isn't Paul's Charcoal Burst prototype, is it?

Kevin

N5D!

Most mind-blowing NGD ever. Not sure if I have ever claimed that before, but this is the grand-daddy of all NGD's. Ever.

My heart and racing 100 miles per hour, and I have tears in my eyes. I am speechless. Best guitar I have ever played, heard, came within 10 feet of.

We are now ushered into the next chapter of this magical 594 experience with Paul and team!

IMG_9209_zpsbyuxbrr4.jpg

Brilliant, Pete!!! Can't wait to see the rest. That isn't Paul's Charcoal Burst prototype, is it?

Kevin

Not the Charcoal Burst.

The "new" Blade Knots, wow those are cool! Killer grain on the Brazilian Board and Headstock.

IMG_0033%201_zpshhcq3zns.jpg

IMG_0034_zps2sntj5vb.jpg

Sorry to be a tease, guys!! ;)

I will post the rest and more details soon, tied up on some work calls for a bit here today.

This should be one of the best fridays ever. WAITING.

It is THE best Friday ever!! :)

Absolutely EPIC!

This guitar deserved its own NGD thread, but cross-posting it here below to capture it here on this ongoing thread of 594 goodness:

My very best and most epic NGD of my lifetime to-date! I told my wife today that October 7th, 2016 will be forever remembered as "The Day THE GUITAR came into my life"! ;)

Paul's Private Stock prototype for a Singlecut McCarty 594! I am not even sure it is called that, I don't have the spec sheet yet.

I am seriously blown away, my heart is racing, and there are tears in my eyes, this guitar sounds THAT amazing!! This is my 88th PRS, and my 11th 594, so I am not that easy to impress, but this one still delivers as the best NGD ever! My Doublecut 594's are absolutely awesome, but this guitars takes things yet again to a level of awesomeness that I did not even know was possible.

The "Blade Knot" inlays are amazing. Killer grain in the Brazilian Board. Love the top, perfect for this guitar! Love the finish, not sure what it is called. I love that that the back is Brown, and not Cherry. The finish is Nitro, but not a High Gloss Nitro, but a "Low Gloss" Nitro, a sort of Vintage Gloss Nitro that looks and feels amazing!! Feels like I am playing a 57 year old guitar...

Did I mention that I love this guitar?!?

The best thing about it, though, is the tone. For me with other previous awesome PRSi, it has been "wow, that is REALLY CLOSE to the tone in my head". This one is "Holy crap, that *IS* the tone in my head!!".

Weight is 8 pounds, 9 ounces and change, it just feels and sounds solid and perfect in that regard. The way this thing resonates is off the charts awesome!

IMG_0032_zpssjsrs2bt.jpg

IMG_0035_zpsusbgekph.jpg

IMG_0036_zpsogmbyyxq.jpg

IMG_0037_zpsj8srihjj.jpg

IMG_0033_zpshmxj2y3m.jpg

IMG_0040_zpsj2uvwo1r.jpg

IMG_0047_zpsw3jya6nj.jpg

IMG_0050_zpstq4icuyo.jpg

IMG_0049_zpsynwisg8u.jpg

This 594 scale feels so much like home to me, that I have no desire to own any guitar that does not have this scale length. I am very pleased today to find out that I feel the same way about the Singlecut version of it!

Those who know me well will chuckle on this one, but I hereby declare this one a Lifetime Keeper!! :)

A very sincere THANK YOU, Paul and Team!!

And thanks so much JD McDonald, for snagging this one, and making sure it got to me. JD made the comment to me that he knew this belonged with me, as soon as he became aware of it, which I very much appreciate, wow! JD and I became Birds and Moons friends before he became a dealer, back in 2010 or so when we were enjoying the Ted McCarty's together, so it really means a lot to me that he made sure this guitar got in my hands. Thank you, brother!!

Amazing score, Pete! A special guitar on many levels.

Even though I'm certain the double cut 594 is home for me, I'm looking forward to the tone comparisons.

Thanks, guys!

I searched on the PSF thread to see if I could catch a glimpse of my new Private Stock Singlecut 594. Found it!

My%20SC%20594_zps3yhlxzmv.jpg

Hiding in the back in this shot, trying to be stealthy with the Blade Knots covered up! ;)

Per the MODCAT sticker, it was completed on July 28th, last Wednesday, and it shipped from the factory on Monday. Interesting that it is labeled a Prototype, but it didn't sit around very long.

The picture above was posted on PSF on Friday, September 9th, and I was there on Wednesday, September 7th. I normally take a walk around the Private Stock area to check stuff out, but we didn't get a chance to this time around, we were pretty busy spec'ing out guitars. (Or was it that there was too much secret stuff going on?...) ;) Funny that it was sitting out there when I was there...

Subliminal messaging? It seems that the SC594 is the closest Paul has come to a pure LP design. The tape over the Blade Knots looks like the famed trapezoid inlays at a quick glance.

Back