The "Forum" Guitar

The headstock signature poll thread got me thinking. What if all the employees signed the body before clear coat?

Still think you need one that isn't at the $4k price point. take off the piezo, swap in a hog or maple neck, and take off the bling and it should hit the $2.2k mark. The Forum Lite version - tonally great and less filling to the credit card.

Still think you need one that isn't at the $4k price point. take off the piezo, swap in a hog or maple neck, and take off the bling and it should hit the $2.2k mark. The Forum Lite version - tonally great and less filling to the credit card.

Or, make those things all options. I really want in, but if it's pricey, it's got to be worth it for me. I would want the piezo, but am OK without the other bling.

Options will come with quantity.

It would be easier to discuss "what's possible" if we had a solid head-count.

A "solid" head-count would be easier to get if we had prices.

We can't talk prices until Shawn and I speak to Jack about really doing this. He'll want some idea of quantity. Which means we need a head-count.

We'll tell him we can't get a head-count without some idea of options and pricing.

And 'round it goes.

Bottom line: Let's keep pushing for a SINGLE set of specifications. If we have enough interest (pending details on pricing) then we can do a quick look of how many more people would buy in if we add specific options like bridge type, piezo, neck carve, and pickups. We've made a huge leap forward in recent days. Stay the course.

Right now we're working from this baseline:
Model: DC22
Scale: 24.5"
Bridge: Piezo Trem (potential option)
Neck Carve: Santana (potential option)
Pickups: Narrow 408 (like on Brent Mason & Paul's guitar)
Hardware: Nickel
Body: Mahogany
Top: Maple
Neck: Chaltecoco
Fretboard: Brazilian Rosewood
Headstock Image: Hand-signed by Paul
Finish: Ultra-thin Nitro
Case: Black Paisley
Dealer: Your choice

The headstock signature poll thread got me thinking. What if all the employees signed the body before clear coat?

If you mean the back of the body, under the finish, I'd be all over it.

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;66145 said:
Options will come with quantity.

It would be easier to discuss "what's possible" if we had a solid head-count.

A "solid" head-count would be easier to get if we had prices.

We can't talk prices until Shawn and I speak to Jack about really doing this. He'll want some idea of quantity. Which means we need a head-count.

We'll tell him we can't get a head-count without some idea of options and pricing.

And 'round it goes.

Bottom line: Let's keep pushing for a SINGLE set of specifications. If we have enough interest (pending details on pricing) then we can do a quick look of how many more people would buy in if we add specific options like bridge type, piezo, neck carve, and pickups. We've made a huge leap forward in recent days. Stay the course.

Just keep in mind, options=money. Gold hardware, bird inlays, fancy tops, piezo units, etc. all increase the price of the guitar. If I may suggest. Layout a few guitar models and options and determine how many folks would truly buy THAT particular guitar. You may be able to get away with a couple different variations of the Forum guitar, but "one of these" and "four of those" probably won't fly because anything with too many customizations becomes a Private Stock.

Just keep in mind, options=money. Gold hardware, bird inlays, fancy tops, piezo units, etc. all increase the price of the guitar. If I may suggest. Layout a few guitar models and options and determine how many folks would truly buy THAT particular guitar. You may be able to get away with a couple different variations of the Forum guitar, but "one of these" and "four of those" probably won't fly because anything with too many customizations becomes a Private Stock.
Good point. Let's establish 10 guitars minimum for each set of exact specs. And... we need to limit the kind of options we're really talking about, right?

Suggestions for options: Neck carve & bridge (piezo or non-piezo)

People should keep in mind, the DC22 will balance (around your neck) better with a tremolo.

I'm just catching up after being sick.

I have a question for Shawn:
Can PRS export BRW?

I thought that the answer to that question was "NO" but we should get it clarified.

This is an international forum with international members - it is conceivable that one or more international members might want a 'forum guitar' as much as the stateside members do. I have brought this up several times in these discussions, but it seems to keep getting ignored.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;66153 said:
Good point. Let's establish 10 guitars minimum for each set of exact specs. And... we need to limit the kind of options we're really talking about, right?

Suggestions for options: Neck carve & bridge (piezo or non-piezo)

People should keep in mind, the DC22 will balance (around your neck) better with a tremolo.

Neck carve and bridge are the only options we really need I think.

Okay....here's my contribution to this thread. Just listen, okay...read, and think about it. This isn't a real flashy idea, but the cost would probably be more approachable to more people:

Mira One or Mira Junior.

Think how cool a Mira with one snarling Deep Dish II in the bridge slot with an adjustable bridge.

Birds with a Pattern Thin or Regular shape.

Hybrid hardware and Phase IIIs.

Tortoise guard? With some one-off finishes that would be exclusive to our guitar!

Just a thought from a devoted tremolo user.

Mike

Okay....here's my contribution to this thread. Just listen, okay...read, and think about it. This isn't a real flashy idea, but the cost would probably be more approachable to more people:

Mira One or Mira Junior.

Think how cool a Mira with one snarling Deep Dish II in the bridge slot with an adjustable bridge.

Tortoise guard? With some one-off finishes that would be exclusive to our guitar!

Mike

How about bridge options? I really want a piezo trem!

Mike, I dig your idea. I was thinking something a bit more simple would be cool. I'd dig a 22-fret Mira w/ a regular neck in white with a tortoise guard. I think I'd rather have a 57/08 or 59/09 treble in there, though.

Mira One or Mira Junior.

Mike

Mira One or Mira Junior.

Mike

I like this! Think of this: a Mira uno in white/goldtop/black color choice with a mahogany neck and ebony board without inlays! It would look understated yet classy and ROCK!
Also, I think a model like this would be accessible to a larger number of forum members.

Last edited:
As soon as you brought up Mira, I lost complete interest. Not trying to be rude, just not interested in the slightest in a Mira.

That isn't being rude at all. Like I have said before....there are LOTS of dealbreakers for most people that buy guitars in the price range of an American made PRS. People want what they want/need.....nothing wrong with that. You can even see it in the way the tentatively designed DC22 model is going. "DC22....that needs a trem....with a piezo....with 408's....and brazillian and chaltecoco and.." See what I mean? Everything is being added in and then options to boot! For me personally, I think a DC22 like that would be hella cool; I bet it would sound, look and play fantastic. But going back to grad school and buying a home this past year means I wouldn't be able to buy a $4000+ forum guitar. Something more along the lines of what Mike is suggesting: traditional wood choice, simple layout etc will open a forum guitar to more members. Or so I think. Maybe not!

I'm wondering if designing two (2) forum guitars would actually bring in more than twice the number of people a single model would. I'm thinking that a "Tier 1 model" along the lines of the DC22 with all the options would be the more expensive of the two....maybe even more than a typical production model...kinda like a wood library special run, but with options like Brazilian neck, piezo, etc, etc.

Then, the "tier 2 model" is more along the lines of the stripped down Mira described above.

This way, you get those who can't afford a hi-end model AND those who can...hopefully buying into the "forum guitar concept".

Or maybe not.

Back