The Forum Fitness Thread

209.4 again this morning.
Been in this holding pattern for awhile now.

Was almost 211 a few mornings ago, I guess I was a little plugged up :D
Would like to get under 200 by Christmas time.
Still powerwalking at work for close to an hour a day rockin' the Bluetooth Sony cans via my Droid.
Walking to music makes it so much easier.

I'm getting in on this.

Despite spending significant hours on the bicycle my weight is creeping up. Worse is the fact that my resistance training has virtually been eliminated from my life. So the extra weight is all fat and the upper body muscles are soft and undefined.

My starting weight as of October 1 is 171.2 lbs. My goal is to return to lifting regularly, firm up the upper body and re-set my normal weight to between 162-165 lbs. For perspective I was a 220 lbs. linebacker in college some 30 years ago with less body fat than I have now. My self imposed official weigh in day is every Sunday morning. Thanks for the communal inspiration.

Don't know if I posted it, but last doc visit was 240, so that's my starting point.

Look what I found on page 5! How's everyone doing?

I'm maintaining, which is my goal. I've had some great road bike rides lately. Georgia autumn weather is great!

I've been stuck @ 230 sine the Experience. I crept up a few, but I've been holing steady. Time to make another push...

I'm up 5 pounds from my low, but I feel better carrying a couple extra pounds. I worked hard to hit my goal and now I'll just be maintaining throughout the winter months.

This is my new favorite yoga video. The instructor is a very pretty girl and she'll kick your ass with some crazy yoga poses. Wait until the 18 minute mark when she gets to the "Warrior III" pose!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't fallen off the wagon a little bit, but not too much. I'll post a weight tomorrow.

This channel is in my subs.
They do everything from exercising, cooking, guitar lessons, you name it.

She makes getting a six pack look easy.
I may have to try it, as I have some weights at home, and might give it a go.

She has a most excellent shape on her, kind of like our guitars, great curves :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Those exercises alone won't get you a six pack. 70-80% is due to diet (reducing body fat) 20-30% is exercise.

I routinely say diet is 80% of the battle. Strength training and cardio round it out with 10% each.

I'm inclined to agree with Jesse and Shawn - I get a decent amount of exercise, and my weight has gone nowhere.

You can't out exorcise a bad diet.

"Exorcise..?" Maybe not quite the word you meant to use, but apropos nonetheless!

Spend a solid 3-1/2 days at Karate camp where you train 6 hours a day and have 3 square meals cooked for you each day. You will gain weight! Or at least I did every time I did it.

You have to really restrain yourself to not out-eat your caloric intake.

We're optimized for roots and berries and meat once in a while, not for pizza and beer and Cheetos... sadly.

I know what I need to do... I'm just crappy at doing it!

(I talked my wife into beer 'n' pizza tonight instead of letting her go to the gym. Bad bad bad bad bad...)

In the very short time I've been on this thread I have registered an epic fail. Last official weigh in was 169.8. I consider this to be nothing more than normal fluctuation weight loss. I have logged considerable miles on the bike due to a lengthy period of dry weather, but have yet to return to the weight room. My diet has been exemplary until about 8 PM, whereupon I go into self-destruct mode.

"Exorcise..?" Maybe not quite the word you meant to use, but apropos nonetheless!

Spend a solid 3-1/2 days at Karate camp where you train 6 hours a day and have 3 square meals cooked for you each day. You will gain weight! Or at least I did every time I did it.

You have to really restrain yourself to not out-eat your caloric intake.

We're optimized for roots and berries and meat once in a while, not for pizza and beer and Cheetos... sadly.

I know what I need to do... I'm just crappy at doing it!

(I talked my wife into beer 'n' pizza tonight instead of letting her go to the gym. Bad bad bad bad bad...)

Sometimes the metal takes over. I am in STL you know. Land of possession.

Cardio and a clean breakfast...check. Back at it later today with some weights.

My diet has been exemplary until about 8 PM, whereupon I go into self-destruct mode.

This is my problem too. I'm a late night snacker, if you call crushing a bag of Oreo's at 10 o'clock at night "snacking". I try to refocus by eating something like nuts or playing the guitar or even just doing some stretches. Will power is mofo!

Back