The Definition of Practice

GuitarAddict

I like definitions. Be it in law or otherwise, something that you can't argue with, it either is or it isn't.
Being unable to play for at least a day due to the dreaded tendonitis again, I was watching a film with my wife and the definition of practice came up;

Practice till you get it right, and then carry on until you can't get it wrong.

Having been struggling with the phrasing on a new song I was learning, having spent all morning yesterday playing the same 8 bar phrase intro, getting it wrong all the time, then getting it right 1 out of 10, then 2 etc, this really rung true. Very frustrating as normally I only need to hear something once to get it. Must be getting old........

Edit, I do actually spend time with my wife even when I am still physically capable of playing guitar. ha ha

I like definitions. Be it in law or otherwise, something that you can't argue with, it either is or it isn't.
Being unable to play for at least a day due to the dreaded tendonitis again, I was watching a film with my wife and the definition of practice came up;

Practice till you get it right, and then carry on until you can't get it wrong.

Having been struggling with the phrasing on a new song I was learning, having spent all morning yesterday playing the same 8 bar phrase intro, getting it wrong all the time, then getting it right 1 out of 10, then 2 etc, this really rung true. Very frustrating as normally I only need to hear something once to get it. Must be getting old........

Edit, I do actually spend time with my wife even when I am still physically capable of playing guitar. ha ha

Right freakin' on!

I've heard this referred to several various ways...though I'll include storytelling within music as a requirement for practice....

Practicing a song can be broken down into simpler sentence parts, much like dissecting the English language can be broken down into nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, etc...

Pygmalion was a broadway show that suggested you could teach a commoner proper English by repeating phrases with the correct inflection, pronunciation, punctuation, and speech patterns.

Practicing music can be accomplished in a similar manner. Know the "language" by studying how chords are built, the same way we conjugate a verb. Then, build sentences from phrases that you've practiced. In time, the small phrases begin to make longer sentences, and you can play, or "speak" with other musicians in a musically conversational manner.

Eventually, you tell a story from beginning to end; there's an intro, some building, some plot twists, some tension (read: intrigue), some resolution (read: relief), a climax, a denouement, and a conclusion.

Not only does guitar practice fall into these categories, but practicing songwriting helps you improve as a musician, and speaks well when you gig and engage the audience in some banter that improves the storyline for your musical journey.

Back