The Amp you use

PRS Custom 50
PRS "H"
PRS SE 50
Mesa Lone Star Classic 100
Mesa Single Rec

How Close do you find the tones of the C50 and H? I sold my H to get my Custom50. When I finally moved the Custom 50 I found out the bias was way off, and while I liked the features better, I never liked the tone quite as well as the H. Needless to say, finding out the bias was off (badly) made me regret trading it, even though I love the amp I traded it for. Just wondered, since you have them both, how you compare the tones.

How Close do you find the tones of the C50 and H? I sold my H to get my Custom50. When I finally moved the Custom 50 I found out the bias was way off, and while I liked the features better, I never liked the tone quite as well as the H. Needless to say, finding out the bias was off (badly) made me regret trading it, even though I love the amp I traded it for. Just wondered, since you have them both, how you compare the tones.
I find that they sound about the same. The C50 has more noise than the "H". I haven't found the source yet. The "H" is dead quiet and consequently I use it more. Interestingly, I use the SE50 more than the C50 too. I have it running a 4x12 cab from the 80's and the EL34's bring a Marshall like thing that is right at home with the 4x12 monster.

I use the "H" and the SE50 in my studio (also known as the living room), and the Lone Star in my private practice space (also known as the bedroom). They all get played multiple times a week. The Custom 50 is downstairs in the family room and sees some PT less often. I think it's time to send it to the PTC and have them search for the noise source.

If you can find an SE50 or an "H" used, I'd grab either or both. They are worth more than they sell for.

I'm using mine through a PRS Archon/MESA cab, regarding tube amps. Apart from that, I also like to use the Kemper and Axe-FX.

If you can find an SE50 or an "H" used, I'd grab either or both. They are worth more than they sell for.
I have an SE50. Great amp. I use my Fender more because the Fender is crisper on the clean channel. The SE isn't bad at all, but if I A/B them, I prefer the Fender. That being said, the drive on the SE is MUCH better than the drive on MOST Fenders I have used. I use my board to get my drive tones more often than not though. That is why it is my number one over the SE50. I need that clean platform.

I have an SE50. Great amp. I use my Fender more because the Fender is crisper on the clean channel. The SE isn't bad at all, but if I A/B them, I prefer the Fender. That being said, the drive on the SE is MUCH better than the drive on MOST Fenders I have used. I use my board to get my drive tones more often than not though. That is why it is my number one over the SE50. I need that clean platform.
I agree that the Fender is "cleaner". I have an HRD and the clean is great but the drive circuits suck. I think the clean on the SE50 is very usable, just not as pristine as the Fender. There are times when I don't want my cleans to be spotless. I want a little color and both the "H" and the SE are good in that space.

I agree that the Fender is "cleaner". I have an HRD and the clean is great but the drive circuits suck. I think the clean on the SE50 is very usable, just not as pristine as the Fender. There are times when I don't want my cleans to be spotless. I want a little color and both the "H" and the SE are good in that space.
If I could put that Fender clean, with the drive channel of the SE50, it could be one of those amps that I could gig with without having any pedals other than the one the controls the channel and reverb. Not that I wouldn't want more options....but I could survive on that alone.

Matchless Lightning 15 - I cannot say enough about how amazing this amp is!
Bogner Shiva 20th anniv - In denial of how little I really use this amp. Its fantastic but compared to the Matchless well it just doesn't do it for me. I really should let it go and replace it with something different but just haven't found that something yet

Matchless Lightning 15 - I cannot say enough about how amazing this amp is!
Bogner Shiva 20th anniv - In denial of how little I really use this amp. Its fantastic but compared to the Matchless well it just doesn't do it for me. I really should let it go and replace it with something different but just haven't found that something yet

If you’re a Matchless kinda guy (and I compliment you on your taste though I don’t have one at present), it’s awfully hard to beat a C-30.

I had a Bad Cat Sampson era amp, so, very similar, and it’s still one of my all time favorites. If I had a Shiva that wasn’t being played, I’d be at the dealer’s already.

Though I will say this: when my son was working with famed producer Flood on a record, Flood chose the Shiva over every other amp put in front of him, and there were quite a number of legendary amps! Flood produced Rolling Stones, U2, Bob Dylan, The Cure, etc. No slouch, obviously, and knows his stuff!

So maybe it’s a good amp?

If you’re a Matchless kinda guy (and I compliment you on your taste though I don’t have one at present), it’s awfully hard to beat a C-30.

I had a Bad Cat Sampson era amp, so, very similar, and it’s still one of my all time favorites. If I had a Shiva that wasn’t being played, I’d be at the dealer’s already.

Though I will say this: when my son was working with famed producer Flood on a record, Flood chose the Shiva over every other amp put in front of him, and there were quite a number of legendary amps! Flood produced Rolling Stones, U2, Bob Dylan, The Cure, etc. No slouch, obviously, and knows his stuff!

It is most definitely a good amp no question. I think part of my issue is that the Matchless is just a better amp for what I am playing right now. To be fair they are 2 completely different amps. I have thought about actually trading it in for a Matchless Chieftain and about the only thing that has kept that from happening is 1) I keep thinking what if I need that level of gain again? and 2) Due to life being busy I have not had the chance to really go out and explore what is worthwhile in the higher gain amp world.

Long ago (well not that long ago more like 2008) I had a Sampson Era Chieftain that was just the hands down most amazing amp but alas Hurricane Ike destroyed it

It is most definitely a good amp no question. I think part of my issue is that the Matchless is just a better amp for what I am playing right now. To be fair they are 2 completely different amps. I have thought about actually trading it in for a Matchless Chieftain and about the only thing that has kept that from happening is 1) I keep thinking what if I need that level of gain again? and 2) Due to life being busy I have not had the chance to really go out and explore what is worthwhile in the higher gain amp world.

Long ago (well not that long ago more like 2008) I had a Sampson Era Chieftain that was just the hands down most amazing amp but alas Hurricane Ike destroyed it

It never hurts to have a few amps of different styles, said Les, who mainlines amps...

So far, I’ve gotten very little use out of my Mesa Fillmore. Why? It needs a speaker cab. I thought about just getting head switcher instead, but truth be told, I kind of want a 212 with Celestion Cream 90s for it. I’ve heard the combination is killer. And maybe I want one in hardwood. Maybe.

So there it sits, since V30s and C90s in my other cabs aren’t my ideal combination with that amp.

I probably need to deal with this soon, but to be honest, I want a cab switching system. ALSO - I like both the Kahayan and the Ampete systems. So there’s another set of choices.

Chicken, or egg?

Beats me. I have a call in to my pal Tim Pierce to get his opinion, but he hasn’t returned it yet.

“Maybe that’s because he doesn’t know who the *&$# you are, Les, since in the greater scheme of guitar things you are NOTHING.”

“Come on, man. Humor me a little.”

A 30w Matchless is an ear-searing beast! Especially thru an old 1960a cab. This photo was really in focus, but the sound waves that close to the amp nearly broke the camera.

matchless.jpg

Back