The Amp you use

Here's some stuff I have used over the years that led me to greatly enjoying the Helix. Greatly enjoying the Helix helped me realize I like Vox style amps, but not Vox amps, which led me to Bad Cat, which aside from Helix is the tube amp I use these days. But anyway, here are the rigs I experienced over the years....(in no particular order):

1973-1974 Silverface Twin Reverb

1958 Fender Bassman

1965 Fender Bassman

Marshall Artist 30/1936, Egnater Tweaker 40, 1963 Fender Tremolux, Rivera M60/Rivera cabs

1964 Fender Vibro Champ head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Roland GP-8

MIDI controlled Rack-of-Doom centered around an Egnater Tweaker 40/1936 cab

Wall of Riveras, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Tremolux

Bad Cat HC30R/1x12 cab/Cub IVR combo

What are your thoughts on that BF Bassman?

What are your thoughts on that BF Bassman?

Absolutely LOVE them. I couldn't do it often, but when cranked full-on it was the BEST Marshall tone I had ever heard. It is just a killer amp for everything. It takes every guitar well, and - with "better" speakers - does an AWESOME bass tone, as long as you going for that old school 60s thing. In truth, looking at the pics, I'd love to have been able to keep ALL of these. That BF Bassman rig was pretty close to showroom, NOS clean as you could get - it even had the "death cap" and two-prong plug!! It was painful selling it, but it went to a collector that paid me enough to buy several new Core guitars....

I would not hesitate to get another. I prefer matched sets, but the amp kills with Marshall cabs too. It prefers low wattage (20-25 watt) alnico speakers to really give the goods.

I can say the MT-15 is plenty loud enough for pretty much any band setting I have ever been through, thru the 2X12 .
The head should be fine...I would try it through the 1 X 12 and see what you think...but I know the head can handle it.

The MT-15 (which I believe is what is being used here, correct me if I’m wrong) seems to be getting some pretty cool fusion tones here!

There are a couple more videos on their channel using the MT (I think) that are pretty smooth.

Last edited:
Absolutely LOVE them. I couldn't do it often, but when cranked full-on it was the BEST Marshall tone I had ever heard. It is just a killer amp for everything. It takes every guitar well, and - with "better" speakers - does an AWESOME bass tone, as long as you going for that old school 60s thing. In truth, looking at the pics, I'd love to have been able to keep ALL of these. That BF Bassman rig was pretty close to showroom, NOS clean as you could get - it even had the "death cap" and two-prong plug!! It was painful selling it, but it went to a collector that paid me enough to buy several new Core guitars....

I would not hesitate to get another. I prefer matched sets, but the amp kills with Marshall cabs too. It prefers low wattage (20-25 watt) alnico speakers to really give the goods.
It’s cool how the silver face models of the very early 70s differ. HUGE difference. Even my 100 does beautiful things into a big cab (the stock 4x12, for example). When I was a kid, it never occurred to me to try the older generation. /me smacks forehead.

Fender Twin Reverb, Marshall DSL, Blackstar Artisan 15...but as regretting parting ways with my Two Rock Custom Reverb some years ago...

...i'm waiting for my new Two Rock Bloomfield Drive by the end of October...can't wait!!!

Fender Twin Reverb, Marshall DSL, Blackstar Artisan 15...but as regretting parting ways with my Two Rock Custom Reverb some years ago...

...i'm waiting for my new Two Rock Bloomfield Drive by the end of October...can't wait!!!

I played through a Bloomfield at a forum brothers house last summer. Glorious amp! So want one.

I played through a Bloomfield at a forum brothers house last summer. Glorious amp! So want one.

Yeah, it's really a great amp. The Classic Clean would have been similar to my Custom Reverb, but the OD channel of the Bloomfield made me close the deal. You have the amazing Two Rock clean platform, maybe a little more modern of the other models, and i can go in classic rock/blues territory even without OD pedals.

When i've tested the amp, i could not try it with my Silver Sky...i can't wait to plug it in and go to heaven!

The amp is also great with humbuckers. With the Custom Reverb it was more difficult to dial in the "right" tone.

And for March i've ordered this Wide Sky P125 that Gary Clark is now playing on tour...i think that the Two Rock can rival the Vibro King ;)

For a real taste of P90 on the Bloomfiled:

When i've tested the amp, i could not try it with my Silver Sky...i can't wait to plug it in and go to heaven!

Man, you're gonna love your SS through the Bloomfield. Mine sounded amazing!

Supro Comet w Jensen P10Q upgrade.
1965 Fender BF Champ w P10R mod.
1964 Fender Deluxe non reverb.
Supro Thunderbolt +.
Peavey C30 w Jensen P12Q.
Yamaha THR-10.
(Yes, I like Jensens.)

It depends on the venue and which guitar(s) I'm taking.
I always mic the amplifier with an off center off axis
E 609 unless it's a tiny job like a house concert.

Yeah, it's really a great amp. The Classic Clean would have been similar to my Custom Reverb, but the OD channel of the Bloomfield made me close the deal. You have the amazing Two Rock clean platform, maybe a little more modern of the other models, and i can go in classic rock/blues territory even without OD pedals.

The amp is also great with humbuckers. With the Custom Reverb it was more difficult to dial in the "right" tone.

And for March i've ordered this Wide Sky P125 that Gary Clark is now playing on tour...i think that the Two Rock can rival the Vibro King ;)

TRs are such great amps!

My first one was an Onyx, and then I had three iterations of their Onyx Signature; these amps had two sets of tone controls on the two channels, as opposed to adding a gain stage to a single channel as on the more Dumble-themed models. I really bonded with them. Later, I had Custom Reverb Sigs, again, as they developed the model.

I honestly felt that the TR’s clean was tailored for single coils. I could be wrong, but I liked my PRS soapbar models with them more than my humbucker models that I liked too, but not as well as the single coils. Once gain was added, the pickups were a tossup for me.

In any event, you should really love the SS with your TR.

TRs are such great amps!

I honestly felt that the TR’s clean was tailored for single coils. I could be wrong, but I liked my PRS soapbar models with them more than my humbucker models that I liked too, but not as well as the single coils. Once gain was added, the pickups were a tossup for me.

In any event, you should really love the SS with your TR.

I had the same feelings with my Custom Reverb Sig. Great with my single coils, very difficult to sound really really good with humbuckers. Probably one of the reason i sold my Tremonti. The guitar was too hot for my style of music, but also i could not make it sound great with the TR.

The Bloomfield seems to take humbuckers much better. This and the OD channel are the main reasons i choose the Bloomfield over the Classic Reverb and SSS.

I'm sure the SS will sound amazing (it sounds amazing in every amp i plug it in!) .
In march i'm going to test it with the P90 of the Wide Sky...and then i will have to wait some more to test it with 58/15LT, as a SC594 is the first in my wishlist :p

I had the same feelings with my Custom Reverb Sig. Great with my single coils, very difficult to sound really really good with humbuckers. Probably one of the reason i sold my Tremonti. The guitar was too hot for my style of music, but also i could not make it sound great with the TR.

The Bloomfield seems to take humbuckers much better. This and the OD channel are the main reasons i choose the Bloomfield over the Classic Reverb and SSS.

I'm sure the SS will sound amazing (it sounds amazing in every amp i plug it in!) .
In march i'm going to test it with the P90 of the Wide Sky...and then i will have to wait some more to test it with 58/15LT, as a SC594 is the first in my wishlist :p

If I were to get a TR now, it’d be the Bloomfield, too.

Classic rock for the band through Archon 100 and 25. Warm, clean buckers and grit through Dallas. Super jangly single-coil cleans through the Louis Columbia Reverb. For recording and amusement variety i'll use a PRS C, PRS HxDa, PRS MT-15, and a Marshall JCM 2000.

Amps? Uhhhh, two custom built ones collecting dust.

Axe FX III
Helix
and now I've added a Kemper Profiler Stage since I swore if they ever made it in a pedal, I'd get one again.

Primarily Axe FX 3, but rotate the other two in a good bit, and for small venues.

Helix primarily on church gigs, but used to gig it regularly in the rock band.

Last edited:
Back