My PRS progression.

I’ve had:
1989 CE-24
2004 Custom 24
2015 Custom 24
2012 DGT Standard
2012 DGT

Currently a 2016 594 DC.

They’ve all been great guitars and I’m glad I’ve had them all. I may get another DGT some day.

But for right now, the 594 is it. PRS really nailed it with this one!

NzUwkpZ.jpg

Looks killer. So what do you like better about the 594 over all those other great guitars?

It's got more low end and more low mids than the Cu24. That's a good thing for me. I like the feel of the neck on the 594 a little more than the DGT. The 594 neck pickup does cleans better on my rig vs the CU24.

These are small differences but it all adds up.

Right on man! Everything just seems "right" about the 594. It changed my guitar playing world. I've struck a balance between mine and a 2017 spec Custom 22. Similar enough to each other, but different enough to satisfy different moods. My favorite of the two varies day by day!

One more time @Trio ... that is a sweet looking 594!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't seen an ugly 594 on this forum... LoL!!! Whoop!

t's got more low end and more low mids than the Cu24. That's a good thing for me. I like the feel of the neck on the 594 a little more than the DGT. The 594 neck pickup does cleans better on my rig vs the CU24.

Is this because the 594 models don't have the treble bleed on the volume pot? (that's right, isn't it?). I found when I removed the cap from my volume pot it opened up some low end and low mids, even when the volume was up on 100%

Is this because the 594 models don't have the treble bleed on the volume pot? (that's right, isn't it?). I found when I removed the cap from my volume pot it opened up some low end and low mids, even when the volume was up on 100%

Correct. As far as I can see, no treble bleed.

Correct. As far as I can see, no treble bleed.

Cool, thanks for the picture, that's really interesting. Interesting to note the .033uf tone caps. I had I've of those in mine and I changed it to a 0.022uf which subtly brightened the tone and compensated for removing the treble bleed.

Oh, looking closer, you have one tone cap of each value. Is that .033uf on neck and .022uf on bridge? I would have thought they would be the other way around

Oh, looking closer, you have one tone cap of each value. Is that .033uf on neck and .022uf on bridge? I would have thought they would be the other way around

Good catch. I did buy the guitar used, but as far as I can tell it came from PRS this way. The official wiring diagram shows both caps as .022uf.

The only explanation that I can think of -- and it's only a speculation -- is that since the guitar was made in March / April 2016 the final spec was not fixed at that point. I believe that this was before the 594 was announced as a production model.

Last edited:
Good catch. I did buy the guitar used, but as far as I can tell it came from PRS this way. The official wiring diagram shows both resistors as .022uf.

Again an interesting fact. The caps are exactly the same type that was in my 2010 53/10 ltd so I'd say yes they have most likely been in there like that from new. But when I took the treble bleed cap out I thought the guitar was a tad dark sounding, then I saw the 0.033uf and my rusty memory from when I last looked at tone caps came up with, oh 0.022uf should be standard, and I had a stock of them, so I swapped. My thought process was that they went with the 0.033uf to take a bit of the treble off that you get from the treble bleed cap ever so slightly working even at 100% vol. Anyway, the change to 0.022uf worked, and a little treble presence was restored, as well as the lows and low mids that seemed to be missing before. It's good to know that the 594 wiring diagram agrees with my choice!

Back