That new guitar case smell...and kettle corn caramel

shinksma

What? I get a title?
My brain works in weird ways...anyway...

You know how pretty well all (core) PRS guitar cases have that nice smell to them, and it seems to last forever? I never could quite characterize it: Vanilla? Touch of honey? The 2005 CU22-12 I just received has a case that still has that smell - amazing after 14 years. Which is what reminded me to post this:

Back in March, or maybe February, I was running sound at a festival event. Suddenly, I could smell that PRS case "fragrance"! What? Where is that coming from?

It was from the kettle corn vendor, and whatever caramel they use.

Now I'm pretty sure PRS doesn't use actual kettle-corn caramel when they make their cases (or whoever makes them for PRS), but dang, it was the exact scent!

Anyone else smell that scent out in the "real world"?

You know how pretty well all (core) PRS guitar cases have that nice smell to them, and it seems to last forever? I never could quite characterize it: Vanilla? Touch of honey? The 2005 CU22-12 I just received has a case that still has that smell - amazing after 14 years. Which is what reminded me to post this:

Back in March, or maybe February, I was running sound at a festival event. Suddenly, I could smell that PRS case "fragrance"! What? Where is that coming from?

Now I'm pretty sure PRS doesn't use actual kettle-corn caramel when they make their cases (or whoever makes them for PRS), but dang, it was the exact scent!

If they make scent cards for a newly washed car then certainly the possibility exists. There's a certain smell in Gibson cases from the 50's and 60's too. I sense a business opportunity here ..

You know those guitars I have hanging on my wall? I've used the cases as popcorn containers for years.

Mmm....popcorn! Lots of kettle corn out here, less so the other varieties.

Now that my fiddles are off the wall and I have to open the cases again, I did notice a similar smell. Figured it was from my cold or nose spray.

Last edited:
Finally getting back to this thread...been sticking to the Elec Guitars subforum last few days.

Not buying it...............(walks off to sniff case)............well, I'll be damned. That's a good call. I totally get that from a 2009 Paisley case.

Glad to see I have some concurrence!

Mine smell like cigarettes and one night stands.

Heh. I will say "no comment" to that, in a "pleading the fifth" kinda way...

Back