That classic rock tone

So I have a SC58 , a Lester and others --
For me
The SC58 is a PRS version of a Lester ( like the 305 is a PRS Strat ) the SC58 is more comfortable for me than any Les Paul I have owned or played
The SCT - is a more modern sounding single cut but it can be most anything with a pickup change its easier to play for me that any Lester and even easier upper fret access than the SC58
If you want a non single cut guitar for comfort the McCarty , Modern Eagle have the thicker body matched with 57/08s or similar you will have no problem getting the tone your after (IMHO)
couple of videos of Lesters and SC58s below

Good hunting :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdKv3L5HS88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgswO2q_nYY

I think the "if you want a les paul tone, get a les paul"-phrase holds true. A PRS is its own thing. However, you might prefer the PRS tone.

In your situation, I think I'd get a Bernie Marsden and possibly switch out the pickups. Thats the cheaper solution, compared to getting a core 245.

Well, I've listened to the clips in this thread and, as with nearly all Youtube videos, it's nearly impossible for me to tell a lot of difference in tone. And in a band setting, most likely very few in the audience could either. But, I've tried duplicating the riff that Fogarty plays in "Born on the Bayou" with the guitars I have, and the one that comes closest with a little grit through my HT Club 50 (and no pedals) is the SE CU24 with 59/09's. Of course I don't have a singlecut, but neither do I feel the need for one.

Having said that, FWIW, I think the video that Rider1260 supplied with the LP vs the SC58, I would go with the SC58. It was not modded and the LP was, so they were close in tone but enough different so I could tell. But I'd pick that one for reasons of cost, quality, and reputation, plus no headstock fragility to worry about.

My $.02... oh well.

57-08 pickups can get you close to an LP sound - IMHO.

But as a few people here have already pointed out - if you really want LP sound - buy an LP

Try an SE 245, change the pickups, nut and put on locking tuners. I also put on an adjustable bridge. My LP tone search is over, And don`t forget RS 550 volume pots.

That Sc58 has the tone.
Now all i gotta do is try to find one.:dontknow:
then all i gotta do is try and afford one.:(
WELP. That will be my goal for 2016. Save my pennies and try to find an SC58.
Thanks for all the help.

I think the "if you want a les paul tone, get a les paul"-phrase holds true. A PRS is its own thing.
This. Exactly this.

The OP is in pursuit of a "holy grail", and should pursue it 100%. Sometimes just getting the sound isn't enough; ya gotta get the whole rig, the whole experience. So an old plexi Marshall full stack, a vintage LP with the P90s or whatever pickups, etc. It'll cost a pretty penny, but sometimes it's what ya gotta do.

This. Exactly this.

The OP is in pursuit of a "holy grail", and should pursue it 100%. Sometimes just getting the sound isn't enough; ya gotta get the whole rig, the whole experience. So an old plexi Marshall full stack, a vintage LP with the P90s or whatever pickups, etc. It'll cost a pretty penny, but sometimes it's what ya gotta do.

But sometimes after spending a godly amount of money you realize you always had great tone. And it's so hard to say what holy grail tone is... Are we talking zztop, acdc?
Or is it van halen? All had a plexi. But all played different. Mby it would help you to know who in your opinion has holy grail tone. Bcs what's holy to one guy is not so much for another. Just saying :)

But sometimes after spending a godly amount of money you realize you always had great tone. And it's so hard to say what holy grail tone is... Are we talking zztop, acdc?
Or is it van halen? All had a plexi. But all played different. Mby it would help you to know who in your opinion has holy grail tone. Bcs what's holy to one guy is not so much for another. Just saying :)

And virtually every 'plexi' had its own tone! I played many back in the day, and some just sounded awful while others sounded stellar. And everything in between. I got lucky with that Major.... anyway, mr.Trucker will have fun finding (or perhaps not finding) his dream.

My SC245 and a cranked Marshall will get that classic rock(LP) tone. The 57/08's are killer classic rock pickups Sounds good to me. YMMV. ENJOY!!!

I will not claim it to be my favorite guitar, but I picked up a used Bernie SE at a very good price, With a pair of Duncan P-rails installed, with 2 3 way mini-switches and a few other upgrades by the prior owner, it is very versatile. I would clearly take the PS take on a "Paul" (like Les' "Hammer of the Gods") but for a budge, this is a great guitar.

Hey I'd mby check out some modded as they tend to be more polished, Friedman makes some sick amps. I also played a bunch of different plexis and i'v always found the 50 watt jmp to be desired.

An accordion through a plexi might be better than a guitar through a plexi?

I guess it depends who's playing the accordion, and who's playing the guitar.

My old Ampeg Reverberocket II that I bought new in '66 had an accordion input jack and a guitar input jack. I did actually play the accordion pretty well at the time, but switched to a combo organ at the time I bought the amp. I still wasn't playing guitar in '66.

Oh don't mind me, I was just deliberately misinterpreting your correction. Like you were implying if you couldn't get the goods with a guitar through a plexi, maybe you might with an accordion through a plexi.

Oh don't mind me, I was just deliberately misinterpreting your correction. Like you were implying if you couldn't get the goods with a guitar through a plexi, maybe you might with an accordion through a plexi.

No, I get it. Actually, I was saying if you can't get the goods with a guitar through a plexi, give up the guitar and get an accordion. ;)

I just thought Id give a little update to this thread........................... in case some of you may be interested.
As some of you may know from other places, I recently had a chance to finally play for myself a LP through a Marshall. Now it wasnt a Plexi, but it was a DSL. So i figure as far as the amp was concerned, it isnt exact, but probably pretty darn close. But anyway, this combo had that .................. thing................ i dont know if youd call it a growl, but thats the closest I can come to an explanation.
I was also lucky enough to play a CU 22 that day also. And i compared the 22 to a SE tremonti Custom and the LP through an Amp exactly like the one I currently use. Sadly I didnt think to play the 3 through the Marshall. But while different, they were close to each other. So I ordered a Marshall DSL40c with a G12H-75 creamback in place of the 70/80 that is normal in these amps, today, and I will be figuring out the guitar in the coming months. i do have an SE and a Strat to keep myself busy with in the meantime. :cool:

Back