That classic rock tone

Blues Trucker

Ive come to the conclusion that the tone I chase and the tone I like best is that classic Marshall Plexi tone. Strat or Les Paul it doesnt matter, I like both through one, but its got to be a Plexi. So Ive decided that will be the amp I will eventually have.
So my question is, do any of the singlecuts or 245s get that Les Paul tone?
I like my SE and I like my Strat. Ill be getting more PRSs and probably get at least 1 more Strat in the future. But I havnt ever found a Les Paul that I bonded with or that I was comfortable playing. Maybe I just havnt played long enough or Im just not a good enough player, I dont know, but I havnt found one I liked. So I was wondering about a singlecut or 245.
I understand some of you will probably think Im foolish and dont know what Im talking about, and I wouldnt disagree, but any constructive input would be interesting and appreciated.
Thanx

What was it about the LP you struggled with?

If we're in SE price range then the Bernie Marsden is one to check out (And quick as they'll be selling out soon!).

The stock pups are very good but some classic PAF style pups I'll get you into LP territory without breaking the bank and the guitar will be very high quality.

But, if large(ish) necks and chunky neck heels are what you find uncomfortable then the Marsden isn't for you.

Classic rock tone is or was very loud(to make that amp sing).Usually strat,tele or les Paul with light strings.Since introduction in 72,dimarzio super distortion was used by many players to make that amp distort on lower volumes.One thing not mentioned too much is that less distorted tones has more chance to be heard an make an impression together with wild drums and heavy bass

Is this why AC/DC plays loud and on the clean channel?
The rhythm and lead guitars sure cut through the mix and are always loud.

I too have a warm spot for the classic Plexi tone. My Stripped 58 got me 90% of the LP tone. I loved the stripper and could have been happy playing it for years. But, when I got my LP R9, the 10% difference became manifest. If you can't get comfortable with an LP, the decision is moot IMO. There are enough fights to be had just living every day. Fighting your guitar should not be one of them. Having said that, I picked up an SG 10 minutes after I sold the Stripper because I always wanted one. I did battle with the SG on a daily basis for a month. Now the SG feels perfectly comfortable and playable in my hands.

But I havnt ever found a Les Paul that I bonded with or that I was comfortable playing.

Nor have I BT...I have had a few SE 245s and a ZM, but I'm just not a singlecut guy...I think its too many knobs and the placement of the pickup selector. I have plenty of PRSes, a few Knaggs, EBMMs, Fenders, a Hamer...but not jonesing in the least for an LP.

The closest I've come to something I would say had that classic LPish classic rock sound was a PRS Stripped 58 with the 57/08s and two-piece bridge / tailpiece. It was on clearance @ GC a few years ago. That was a great guitar, couldn't swing it at the time but kinda wish I had.

I don't think a used Stripper would be a.bad place to start...

Look at SC58 great playing single cut
others
Single cut trem :)
McCarty - thicker body thicker sound
for more $$$ Modern Eagle II
and just to be different pairing a Marshall with a CU24 will give you tone to die for

Not sure I "struggled" ( I "struggle" with every guitar, Im not that good) with it, I just didnt feel comfortable with it. I dont know what it was, it just ,well, didnt do it for me. Or something.
So a Bernie or a stripper? What about others with PUP changes?
This wont be happening for awhile, Im just trying to figure out what direction to start working on.

I've got a 2000 SC that comes pretty close, but there's still that low end growl that an LP has that most SC's don't. I bought a Heritage H150 which IMO is closer to that classic LP than you are going to get from the standard G offering these days.

And there are PRS Amps that will get you the Plexi thing.

It doesn't necessarily have to be 'plexi' to have the tone you seek. My first Marshall was (still is) a '71 200w Major thru a pair of 4x12s, and it doesn't get more 'plexi' than that. I had to retire that amp though, as its old and the requisite rebuild would cost nearly a grand. So a couple months ago I got a DSL 40w combo with the 'Creamback' speaker upgrade, and I run it thru a deep vertical 2x12 extension cab.... it sounds phenomenal.

IMO the speaker cabinet is a huge component of the tone. The combo on its own sounds good, but add the 2x12 and it sounds nearly as great as my old full stack. It's got that "power rumble" thing going on, where even high notes can hit you in the gut. Not quite as powerful as those four KT88s thru two 4x12s of course, but still awesome.

Oh, and just to let everyone know, in a polite way, when it comes to the amp, I know exactly what I want, and I know exactly how Im gonna do it, and when I can afford it I will. Till then I have a workaround figured out. So the amp isnt the question.
Its the Les Paul. What PRS gets me to that Les Paul sound? Do I go with a 245 or singlecut and change the pups to some Holy Grails? Find a used core simglecut type? Will that get me the tone without any changes? Or will the Custum 24 with some pup changes get it?
Or do I need to figure out how to get comfortable with a Les Paul?
Im finding SE singlecut styles on Craigs all the time. If that would get me there I wouldnt be shy about picking one up and changing out some pickups.

...What PRS gets me to that Les Paul sound? ...QUOTE]

Honestly, none. The closest I've gotten is the 2000 SC (the original). It's pretty darn close, but still isn't the same. It actually sounds better, but doesn't quite have the balls. If you have to go SE, get the Bernie. It was modeled after his 59 Les Paul.

Dude I have three plexis and that's where the tones at! As far as guitar, I think prs has an awesome selection of guitars. Single cut will be great and anything with 57/08 pickups.
That sound is not very hard to get. Goodluck!

Honestly, none. The closest I've gotten is the 2000 SC (the original). It's pretty darn close, but still isn't the same. It actually sounds better, but doesn't quite have the balls. If you have to go SE, get the Bernie. It was modeled after his 59 Les Paul.
So I take it your not gonna be my santa:santa: :D?
I do kinda like the idea of the Bernie, if I can find one when the time comes, which I doubt. But i will try.
But you dont think changing out pups would get there? Ill have to try and figure out a LP otherwise. I really do want one. I really want to like one. I just havnt got there . Maybe I will eventually.

Funny you should ask.

On another thread about the McCarty Singlecut, I just posted these clips (have also posted them before) of my McCarty Singlecut through the PRS HXDA (Plexi tone) and the PRS DG30 (Grissom amp).

These might, or might not, be your idea of a classic rock tone, granted they're blues clips because that was the mood I was in that day. But you'll get the idea...

Bridge Pickup, McCarty Singlecut, PRS HXDA amp, straight in, no pedals:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/blues-ii-hotg

Neck Pickup, PRS David Grissom DG30 amp, boost pedal just to even out the grit on the amp:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/hammer-dg-30-custom-v2

I always include this caveat: I'm a keyboard player who doubles on guitar. Don't expect musical genius here. Clapton or Hendrix I ain't.

Notes:

The HXDA was built after PRS took apart the actual Plexi Superbass that Duane Allman played on "Live at the Fillmore." Hence, the DA in the name. The HX setting was based on PRS' discovery that there were only a few differences between that amp and the Plexi Superlead they borrowed from Eric Johnson. So the amp switches not only to either setting, but you can also get in-between settings, which is what I've done in the first clip.

No jumper is needed between the channels, they're internally bridged, which is very nice. The cut was made last year with the original preamp tubes, but I've since added a NOS Mullard in the V1 slot, and gold pin JJs tested for low noise and microphonics. So the amp sounds even better now.

Despite my playing, take my word for it that the HXDA is the finest and most authentic Plexi I've played through since, well, the original ones back in the day (yes, I was around in bands back then)...

So if you want to know if a PRS can do classic rock of a certain tone type, the answer (to me) is obviously yes -- yes it can.

Last edited:
Funny you should answer, cause I just read your post in the MSC lovefest thread :D
Im checking out your links right now.

[edit] i dont know if that is the tone im looking for or not, but that is a really good sounding guitar. :adore:

Last edited:
...What PRS gets me to that Les Paul sound? ...

Honestly, none.
Yep. These are elusive, esoteric qualities, but they are real. If you want Les Paul sound, buy a Les Paul. But finding the right one may take a while. Took me 35+ years to appreciate what I've had since '79 and modded heavily along the way. But it's nowhere as classy, nor as effortless and enjoyable to play, as my PRSi.

Last edited:
Best rock tone I've ever heard was a tweed Fender Deluxe turned up to 12 (the Tonebender he was hitting it with didn't hurt either). I'm a high gain guy, but that sound haunts me to this day.

If you can't play loud enough to get the goods out of a Plexi it might be worth checking out a tweed.

Back