That Age Thing...

Sounds to me like you've got a pretty good thing going Les. Nothing to worry about as far as I can see. Sounds like you're well respected in your chosen field.

But yeah, getting older. I'll be 70 in March and it's like.....what? Me at 70? How is that possible? My dad used to say "time waits for no one" and that is very true. Somewhere I read that one sign of getting older is when all the years seem to blend into one. Lately I'm finding that to be true. It doesn't bother me being on the doorstep of 70 and I'm not at all afraid of admitting my age. But more and more I'm asking myself "where has the time gone?"

And more than ever I'm asking myself "what am I looking for?"
Uh oh, bad sign that I feel like that in my mid 40’s.

Les, you have a “resume” that few have. 30 seconds on your website and the work speaks for itself. You should have no worries and all the confidence in the world man. That’s the damn truth.

“It’s better to burn out than to fade away.”

That’s the Rock ‘n’ Roll mantra, right?

I don’t know. Neil Young is still working too and he ain’t young now. Is he still singing that tune?

I’m going to keep moving. The rest is noise.

Oh hey and Les, I forgot to add, a rolling stone gathers no moss.

Jeez, at 24, am I the youngest on the forum?

I will say, I'm massively jealous of all of you that have seen David Gilmour on stage. Of all the artists that you've seen that I never will, that's the one I'm most jealous of by far.

Also, some of you have guitars with Paul's signature on it. Many of those guitars cost as much as half my salary. It'll be a few years (maybe more than a few) before I have private stock levels of disposable income. I fear that Paul might not be signing them anymore by the time that happens.

I do have mild ambitions of buying the 50th Anniversary Dragon

Jeez, at 24, am I the youngest on the forum?

I will say, I'm massively jealous of all of you that have seen David Gilmour on stage. Of all the artists that you've seen that I never will, that's the one I'm most jealous of by far.

Also, some of you have guitars with Paul's signature on it. Many of those guitars cost as much as half my salary. It'll be a few years (maybe more than a few) before I have private stock levels of disposable income. I fear that Paul might not be signing them anymore by the time that happens.

I do have mild ambitions of buying the 50th Anniversary Dragon
“That’s” what I’m talking about, goals! If we didn’t have them , what fun would it be:cool:

I’ve never talked to anyone who said they regretted retiring early. Likewise, I’ve not heard anyone say they wished they had worked longer. I retired at 62. And this is the best job I’ve ever had!
Let me be the first. While regret is too strong a word, there have been many a day I missed the rough and tumble of the workplace. My wife and I retired at 50. No doubt there has been a big upside to the freedom of retirement. On the other hand I do feel like I’m aging faster than I would if I woke up every morning with a defined purpose. It’s been well over a decade since we pulled the plug. So now I’m comfortably settled into the retired lifestyle. I do wish that I had taken up a different career (job) after departing my main life’s gig. At the very beginning of my career I coined the phrase, “Doing nothing doesn’t mean anything unless you have something to do”. I found that to be true when my career came to an end. As the song says, “I have nothing to do and all day to do it”. On the other hand, we usually take 4 extensive vacations a year from doing nothing.

Uh oh, bad sign that I feel like that in my mid 40’s.

Les, you have a “resume” that few have. 30 seconds on your website and the work speaks for itself. You should have no worries and all the confidence in the world man. That’s the damn truth.
The agent said something similar. Maybe he told me what I wanted to hear?

Dunno. I'm doing my research!!

Let me be the first. While regret is too strong a word, there have been many a day I missed the rough and tumble of the workplace. My wife and I retired at 50. No doubt there has been a big upside to the freedom of retirement. On the other hand I do feel like I’m aging faster than I would if I woke up every morning with a defined purpose. It’s been well over a decade since we pulled the plug. So now I’m comfortably settled into the retired lifestyle. I do wish that I had taken up a different career (job) after departing my main life’s gig. At the very beginning of my career I coined the phrase, “Doing nothing doesn’t mean anything unless you have something to do”. I found that to be true when my career came to an end. As the song says, “I have nothing to do and all day to do it”. On the other hand, we usually take 4 extensive vacations a year from doing nothing.
Join my composer club, gosh darn it! You'll have way too much to do! :)

Evidently I’m too young for that. :cool:
Ya know, 'too young' is relative.

The agent told me that age is irrelevant, it's all about the resume.

Not saying the agent was right, because I don't know for sure, but it was certainly nice to hear that! :)

I was told that I am a 'soft, easy sell' based on my resume. I don't know if that's true, but I guess I'll find out. I like the folks I'm working with.

Back