That Age Thing...

László

Too Many Notes
I was communicating with an agency for film scores in London; they wanted to know my age on a form.

Well, I'm pretty old. I was very shy about answering, though I did. I understand that they need to know birth date for copyright purposes, etc (the copyright office wants that birth year). But for some reason, it made me feel like The World's Oldest Human,

I know I'm very good at what I do - scoring to picture. I have had many years of success in it.

But now I feel...I dunno...like people will think I'm past it. It kinda freaked me out. Am I alone in this?

Your work will speak for you much more than anything else will.

I’m 46. I occasionally feel as age is a selection factor, mostly unconsciously, in hiring. Mostly that’s just me not wanting to look at myself when I’m not selected for something.

There always has been and always will be age discrimination, even though illegal in many places/situations! Against both the young and the old!! Maybe next time, ask your son if you can do the stuff under his name (set up an agency), then get him to pay you 95% of the fees via an agency agreement!!! I realize your past work is a large selling point on what you may land, but if set up properly the "agency" that you and him could be a part of could be used as a way to show the work in a collective fashion and possibly circumvent some age discrimination against you!!!! That said, good luck on the gig, hope you get it!!!!!

Earlier on, there's time behind you but a alot more in front, and options seem plentiful. Kind of like starting a long drive to a destination, plenty of places to turn, then you arrive and it's a cul-de-sac, but this one you can't go around and head back where you entered. Feels like the walls are closing in and it accentuates the relatively shorter time ahead, then that leads to self-doubt. People like to prey on that to medicate their own short-falls, especially this extremely needy, lost, entitled generation. You're enriched by time, I know, I'm riding in that vehicle with ya....

ugh, i spend most of the day maintaining computer programs. people are used to white wigged composers, because of ‘amadeus’, but they are also used to seventeen year old hackers, because of ‘hackers’ and everything else since. you’ll do ok, they probably just want to insure the project.

Don't worry about it Les. Let your work speak. After I retired from my "real" job of many years, I applied for another job a few years later. I was the oldest person at the interviews. After they reviewed my resume and started asking questions, I knew what they were thinking, so I added, "Don't think of me as being over qualified - think of me as well qualified." After she hired me, the boss said that statement sealed the deal. They say that with age comes wisdom. I like to believe that's true. You, Les, are the consummate professional in music. Anyone who's interviewing you and cannot see that does not deserve to have you.

Wife and I are both 57 and I don't mind admitting that to others.

What I don't like is what age has done to me.

I have seriously abused my body over the years and now I'm paying the price with constant discomfort.

I find myself consciously deciding to NOT do certain tasks that would make me pay later. At times it's quite embarrassing.

It has reinforced my desire to retire a little early while I can still enjoy my hobbies and fun projects.

I was communicating with an agency for film scores in London; they wanted to know my age on a form.

Well, I'm pretty old. I was very shy about answering, though I did. I understand that they need to know birth date for copyright purposes, etc (the copyright office wants that birth year). But for some reason, it made me feel like The World's Oldest Human,

I know I'm very good at what I do - scoring to picture. I have had many years of success in it.

But now I feel...I dunno...like people will think I'm past it. It kinda freaked me out. Am I alone in this?
Les,

Q: What can you serve that you can't eat?

A: A tennis ball.

I have seriously abused my body over the years and now I'm paying the price with constant discomfort.

I find myself consciously deciding to NOT do certain tasks that would make me pay later. At times it's quite embarrassing.

It has reinforced my desire to retire a little early while I can still enjoy my hobbies and fun projects.
Life is no fun if you don't live it.
Power to ya buddy!

Bah, 57 is young!

Why, when I was your age, I was still working as a dinosaur cowboy.

Don't worry about it Les. Let your work speak. After I retired from my "real" job of many years, I applied for another job a few years later. I was the oldest person at the interviews. After they reviewed my resume and started asking questions, I knew what they were thinking, so I added, "Don't think of me as being over qualified - think of me as well qualified." After she hired me, the boss said that statement sealed the deal. They say that with age comes wisdom. I like to believe that's true. You, Les, are the consummate professional in music. Anyone who's interviewing you and cannot see that does not deserve to have you.
Good advice! I'm going to take it.

Who says you can't eat a tennis ball?
Not sure you'd want to. Might not be good for your teeth, but you do you.
Though I need to hand it to you, Les, you're as reliable as the sunset and sunrise. Of which I also count my time on this earth as precious.
I was hoping that someone would deliver my thank-you letters, but apparently, some people don't like it when one "writes" anymore.
They simply text or call and then the conversation is forgotten. God forbid if someone drops their phone or needs to recharge their dead phone battery. The chain of subsequent events would be catastrophic.

Last edited:
Back