Talk me out of getting a 65 Deluxe Reverb

DogPhishHead

My Mesa Express is EL84s with a Vintage 30. It’s a very punchy, in your face tone. My McCarty, SE Paul’s and Hollowbody really hit the front end hard and the tone with those EL84s seems linear, not a 3D depth. After watching this video I’m hearing the tones I would love to generate.

Anyone play a 65 Dlx with their PRS collection?

If you like that tone, thats the way to get it. You ought to play one first, or buy from a place with a good return policy in case it doesn’t float your boat. They sound great within their volume range and are great pedal platforms. Its not the first amp I reach for, but it always sounds like I expect it to when I do.

I can’t talk you out of it!

Before you buy the 65 DRRI, try a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb.
I've owned two black face DR's for over twenty years.
After I'd sold the vintage ones, I looked at the 65 RI. I tried the 65 and the 68 live/in person
and ended up coming home with the 68 Custom.
Some *are* a little noisy (hiss) due to design (negative feedback differences), but mine is dead quiet.
It sounds like what I wished my previous DR's sounded like. You have reverb/tremolo on both channels,
and the channels are in phase, which allows you to jumper both channels (like on a 4 hole Marshall or 5E3 Deluxe or Fender Bassman RI)
and blend the two channels. THIS is where the amp really shines.
With my PRS Custom 24 (57/08 and 59/09 pickups), it sounds amazing.

One of my COVID purchases was a new 65 DR. I haven’t tried my PRS (buckers) through it yet. EJ Strat (Virginia) straight in. Really stellar sounding. Beautiful cleans. Pedals equally worked fine. Also, it took a total of 15 minutes after unpacking to have me grinning, and wondering why I hadn’t done it long time ago. No ”it takes awhile to dial in“ with this puppy. Guess I’m not gonna be the one to talk you down from the ledge!

414420629.jpg

HUGELY versatile (with a handful of pedals) and wonderful-sounding amp in its own right. Though, the two key mods that take an off-the-shelf model from "okay" to "awesome" are: new speaker (tailor to your particular voicing/needs) and remove the bright cap (very important to play well with pedals).

I would not talk you out of getting one.

I have a FSR with a creamback and it’s excellent! Highly recommended. It’s a loud amp for sure. If you’re playing at quiet home levels with lots of pedals then either only use input 1 (no bright cap there) with your own reverb, or clip the bright cap on input 2. If you’re playing rockstar loud (as one should ;)) then don’t worry about the bright cap, it disappears from the circuit at around 5 on the volume knob.

A 68 custom is more versatile and will get some nice grind at lower levels. There’s also no bright cap on 68’s at all. Definitely worth considering but I recommend trying both to see which you prefer. It just didn’t quite work for me between the hiss and tube rattle I couldn’t get rid of. YMMV

Thanks guys, I've decided against a Fender. Tried the 65...too bright, too much boom with that speaker (and I'm not swapping speakers on a new amp). I had a '68 Custom for 3 days and returned it...that HISS was ridiculous and it had issued with reverb dropping out (on a new in box amp) - that's when I opted for the Mesa. I'll stick with my Mesa for now.

Thanks guys, I've decided against a Fender. Tried the 65...too bright, too much boom with that speaker (and I'm not swapping speakers on a new amp). I had a '68 Custom for 3 days and returned it...that HISS was ridiculous and it had issued with reverb dropping out (on a new in box amp) - that's when I opted for the Mesa. I'll stick with my Mesa for now.
Funny you picked Mesa, I’m using a California Tweed for all those sort of tones now! I’m going to try one of the Jensen Blackbird 12s in my DR, it is such a better speaker than the cheapies that Fender uses.

Funny you picked Mesa, I’m using a California Tweed for all those sort of tones now! I’m going to try one of the Jensen Blackbird 12s in my DR, it is such a better speaker than the cheapies that Fender uses.
I absolutely LOVE the demos of the Cali Tweed...I just can't afford that much of an amp now.

My Mesa Express is EL84s with a Vintage 30. It’s a very punchy, in your face tone. My McCarty, SE Paul’s and Hollowbody really hit the front end hard and the tone with those EL84s seems linear, not a 3D depth. After watching this video I’m hearing the tones I would love to generate.

Anyone play a 65 Dlx with their PRS collection?

I have a 69 Silverface Deluxe Reverb that sounds great no matter what I plug into it. And it takes pedals really well. My understanding, which may be wrong, is that the Deluxe silverface versus blackface differences aren't as huge as the other amps.

Just last week I ordered one of these because I had GAS and didn't want another guitar at the moment (did I just type that). More Vibrolux than Deluxe but I wanted the tremolo and his "Deluxe" doesn't have it. I guess I'm entering into my amp hoarding stage?

http://www.allenamps.com/encore.html

The plan is to use this new amp in place of my Boogie Express Plus 5:50 for gigging. I still love the Boogie, just wanted something more Fenderish and I don't want to haul my actual DR into stinky bars.

I have been playing my McCarty Gold Top Double with Soap Bars into a 1980 DR. With or without the Zen Drive, it sings. Before I pulled the ZD out, the DR had to go to 8. I also have a PRS H head I use. Both are excellent amps.

On eBay, you can look for dtownguitars. They usually have Alessandro rewired deluxe reverbs for sale. They’re not cheap, but they are magic if you want a DR. I’m in the PRS 2 channel camp unless there are stairs. Then I use my trusty Tech 21 Trademark 60’s, either 1-12 or 4-10’s.

Back