Talk me out of getting a 65 Deluxe Reverb

My kinda guy! Unfortunately all of mine are currently in storage but that needs to change.
.. ahem.. *girl*.... I am also far away from my amps and guitars. All my gear is in the US but I'm currently stuck in the UK for a few months and just have one guitar here and a tiny Yahama THR 10iiw amp, I know your pain. :D

To the OP.. did u get that Dexluxe Reverb as yet? You know you have to!

.. ahem.. *girl*.... I am also far away from my amps and guitars. All my gear is in the US but I'm currently stuck in the UK for a few months and just have one guitar here and a tiny Yahama THR 10iiw amp, I know your pain. :D

Sorry if the presumption offended but you are the first lady I've "met" who likes to collect amps.

Nope, not yet. My local shop tends to put a few of their rental Deluxe Reverbs into their "used" department every few months and a substantial discount (and have enough spare coin to do a speaker swap, if needed and some new tubes)...I plan to snag one of those. I keep going back to that tone in my head.

I don't know anything about the reissues, but one of my best guitar pals has a pristine original '65 Deluxe, and the thing just sounds fantastic. In my high school years, the Strat player in one of my bands was a Deluxe guy as well - his was probably a '66. Also a great amp, but have to go from memory on that one!

Sounds sweet!
Got the amp yesterday, didn't spend a lot of time with it last night. Played it with the McCarty and SE Hollowbody...DAMN that Cannabis Rex speaker is stiff !!! Going to give it some break-in this weekend with some bass heavy music and see if it opens up some, cause right now I'm thinking "meh" on this amp.

Got the amp yesterday, didn't spend a lot of time with it last night. Played it with the McCarty and SE Hollowbody...DAMN that Cannabis Rex speaker is stiff !!! Going to give it some break-in this weekend with some bass heavy music and see if it opens up some, cause right now I'm thinking "meh" on this amp.
Uh oh.....open things turn around.

The originals were great, but they were hand wired amps with different stuff in 'em, pine cabinets with plywood baffles (the cabinet wood really does affect the tone), and of course different speakers.

The '65 reissues are circuit board amps, with birch ply cabinets, and different speakers. I'd be surprised if they truly sounded like the originals. That doesn't mean they're bad, or worse than the originals, but they're certainly different.

It's my understanding that Fender does, or did, make a handwired '64 Deluxe, with a pine cabinet and a reissue of the original speaker. I've heard it. Sounds great, but isn't inexpensive.

My guess is they called it a '64 to distinguish it from their '65 reissue.

Last edited:
I opted to order the Sweetwater FSR tweed Princeton Reverb with a 12” Cannabis Rex speaker, looking forward to this little guy.

Does the Princeton Reverb now come with a 12" speaker? I have a very minty original '64 Princeton Reverb and it came with a 10" speaker I think. I was quite disappointed with the sound in comparison to my '65 Deluxe Reverb. It seemed a lot smaller but I put that down to the 10" speaker. I wonder what it would sound like with the 12"... hmmmmm thinking.... :)

GC has a special run Princeton with a G1265 that I tried - something about that little amp and enclosure made it overbearingly punchy and reactive. I like the idea of the C Rex in yours, hopefully it’ll relax the response of the amp once it breaks in.

Does the Princeton Reverb now come with a 12" speaker? I have a very minty original '64 Princeton Reverb and it came with a 10" speaker I think. I was quite disappointed with the sound in comparison to my '65 Deluxe Reverb. It seemed a lot smaller but I put that down to the 10" speaker. I wonder what it would sound like with the 12"... hmmmmm thinking.... :)

Yeah, definitely the speaker.

Try it with one of your 12" cabs. What've you got to lose?

GC has a special run Princeton with a G1265 that I tried - something about that little amp and enclosure made it overbearingly punchy and reactive. I like the idea of the C Rex in yours, hopefully it’ll relax the response of the amp once it breaks in.
It’s already packed and ready to return to Sweetwater. I’m going to stick with my Mesa. The Princeton and C-Rex was too thick and stout, no give. It was very good if you want a jazz amp, sounded great with my SE Hollowbody.

2x12” even.

Reactions: Jo-
DLX Rev is THE CLEAN. No more to say. It's some sort of 60's surf rock time machine. The reverb is ferocious. Be aware of that. I love Bassman but I took one some years ago and it was made like **** so I sent it back. It was the heaviest thing I've ever carried. The DLX is heavy but the Bassman wins the prize. I love my DLX and I would like to build a Bassman the insane way I do.

Back