Sweet 16 saved from Guitar Center

BenzoPete

Hello! I just bought a pristine Sweet 16 PRS. At the store it blew me away, I got it home and seems the more I play it the worse it sounds. Like it's losing it,s clean. Should I be thinking about replacing the tubes? I dought they have been serviced since new. I hate to take it to the shop for weeks if it's just tubes.
I can't find another one for sale. Understanding they only made them for a year or so what's the collectability of these anyone know? It's a 2009 model

It is probably a tube and GC has them. Take it back and tell them what is going on. They will likely be able to swap the tubes right there to check it.

Thanks for the replies so quick, I am going to replace all the tubes regardless. The cats at GC based the price of the SW16 on reverbs listings of similar, $900.00 but all the listings out there are 5+ years old. I can't put a finger on the exact or approximate value. Day one at home it sounded as clean and almost as loud as my Super Twin Reverb. slowly now over just a few weeks, it sounds terrible. At the store, there was a time when it had a bad crackling sound for a few minutes but that went away. I am not afraid of a screwdriver or popping in new tubes. Outside of that, I would take it to a pro shop.
It has a JJ 6v6s tube pair, should I stick with the JJ tubes? any benefit to Groove tubes or any other version? same question with the pre tube pairs JJ 12AT7 and 12 A X7 ?

Last edited:
Change the tubes. I put NOS Sylvania power tubes in mine. V1 affects your tone more than the others, which are reverb and PI. Fresh power tubes and finding a good 12ax7 for V1 will put you on the path.
And clean the sockets...

I went ahead and replaced all the tubes with JJs. and I am really happy with the results! I am going to call this fixed. I did locate and order NOS Phillips and Tung-Sol tubes also, so when they arrive I can judge first hand the difference if any. The factory-installed 1 preamp Tung-Sol 12Ax7 and one Phillips 12At, the other preamp mates were JJs and the power tubes are JJS also (6V6s). Odd that they felt this brand mixing was necessary. When they arrive I will swap them in and test drive it listening closely? The Sweet 16 is self-biased so no adjustments required that makes it easy.
I have been a huge fan of an automotive product "Dielectric compound" it's a silicon treatment that seals and preserves electrical connections really nice. I use it on my mixer xlr connections and recording jacks anything I want to keep a solid connection anti seized and not get moisturized! Let's see how it holds up on the tube s!

Back