Studio VS 24-08

jacobmatthew

Hi everyone, I currently have a 24-08 with the 85/15 TCI pickups, and have been really happy with it so far, but the new release of the Studio has me interested for 3 reasons

1. Narrowfield Pickups (described as "punchy single coils" which I would describe the 24-08 pickups as chimey and clean but not exactly punchy)
2. The Pattern neck profile (my 24-08 has a pattern thin and I prefer a slightly thicker neck)
3. 22 frets (I've heard the number of frets has an effect on tone? But I assume that's just a result of scale length in which case these two guitars have the same scale length)

So does anyone have any experience with these two guitars? How do the Narrowfields compare to the 24-08 for single coil type sounds? And is there a noticeable difference in feel of a Pattern neck to a Pattern thin?

The main reason for different tone with 22 frets is that the pickups are slightly further apart (neck pickup is moved slightly closer to the nut).

It's not so much the pickup's distance from each other, per se, but the position below the vibrating string. I suppose it could be best described as a mellower, clearer tone. To get a subtle idea of the difference, pluck the string over your bridge pickup and compare that sound to plucking it over the neck pickup or even above the end of the fret board.

Even better...just compare how your neck pickup differs from the bridge pickup on your 24-08, on a 22 fret guitar that difference would be even more so....if that makes sense.

It's not so much the pickup's distance from each other, per se, but the position below the vibrating string. I suppose it could be best described as a mellower, clearer tone. To get a subtle idea of the difference, pluck the string over your bridge pickup and compare that sound to plucking it over the neck pickup or even above the end of the fret board.

Even better...just compare how your neck pickup differs from the bridge pickup on your 24-08, on a 22 fret guitar that difference would be even more so....if that makes sense.
That makes sense, thanks for that insight!

I have an SSH and a 24-08 and I wouldn’t trade one for the other. They both do different things very well and I’m super happy to have both.

Back