Structures - Something New (And Already Revised!!)

Hey Les, speaking of John Williams I have a question.

Now, I do not know the first thing about ochestral composing. But when we hear a movie score.....when it says "music by John Williams" did he actually write the music for each and every single instrument in the orchestra?
Seems like it would be hard enough and time consuming enough to write a theme for all the scenes in a movie, let alone having the time to write for an entire orchestra? Or is this where a musical arranger (someone other than the composer) steps in and fills in the gaps so to say?
As far as I can tell from my friends out in LA, everyone does things differently.

Hey Les, speaking of John Williams I have a question.

Now, I do not know the first thing about ochestral composing. But when we hear a movie score.....when it says "music by John Williams" did he actually write the music for each and every single instrument in the orchestra?
Seems like it would be hard enough and time consuming enough to write a theme for all the scenes in a movie, let alone having the time to write for an entire orchestra? Or is this where a musical arranger (someone other than the composer) steps in and fills in the gaps so to say?
Here's an interesting interview about the process with Alan Silvestri, one of the absolute premier film composers in Hollywood. I thought you might like it.

Back