New Extended Version - Shadow and Light

László

Too Many Notes
I decided to lengthen Shadow and Light over the past few days. A week or two ago, I added an ending. This time, I created an intro that's at a slightly different pace, to add a little mystery up front.

Dunno if it works or not, but what the heck, I kinda like it. So I figured I'd post it.

I like it a lot, very ethereal feel to it! The transition from the intro to the rest of the piece (at about 1:25) made me feel like we were starting a new song. I really like the final transition into the heavier strings at about the 3 minute mark! Thanks for sharing!!

I like it a lot, very ethereal feel to it! The transition from the intro to the rest of the piece (at about 1:25) made me feel like we were starting a new song. I really like the final transition into the heavier strings at about the 3 minute mark! Thanks for sharing!!
Thank you my kind friend!

I spent a little time tweaking the mix today, and I think I improved it. But ya never know! Same link.

As always, the sounds you are using just really ring! Very cinematic in feel!
I'm glad you like it!

I try hard to get the most out of the sounds I have on hand and make the performances realistic. I'm planning, however, to have some orchestral players lay down parts in future work; maybe just to add to the orchestral sounds I have, or maybe to replace them.

I'm also pulling together a few additional mics for classical recording, one at a time to build up that part of the mic locker over the next few months.

At some point...:)

It is your piece, but I still feel closure when I hear that timpani at 1:26, and then the triangle (or whatever it is) at 1:30 makes me feel like it is the start of a new song. It's all good, and still very dreamy, and may be exactly what you want and/or what is need at a certain time and I am all for that! I know you want feedback other than "good job László" so that is what I got for ya! Other than that, it is a really good piece IMO!!

It is your piece, but I still feel closure when I hear that timpani at 1:26, and then the triangle (or whatever it is) at 1:30 makes me feel like it is the start of a new song. It's all good, and still very dreamy, and may be exactly what you want and/or what is need at a certain time and I am all for that! I know you want feedback other than "good job László" so that is what I got for ya! Other than that, it is a really good piece IMO!!
You're right, it does have a feeling of closure with the tympani; I was thinking about a visual cut or dissolve and a scene change. Maybe I'll change that, it's a good suggestion!

And I totally appreciate your candor. I want criticism/suggestions, not just undeserved 'attaboys'!

I want criticism/suggestions, not just undeserved 'attaboys'!
A deserved attaboy! ;)

But since you're asking... if it were my piece I'd make the instrument @ 0:15 & 0:41 (which to me sounds like a cross between a horn & a woodwind) into a specific woodwind like an oboe or a flute. Or develop with the strings alone longer.

A deserved attaboy! ;)

But since you're asking... if it were my piece I'd make the instrument @ 0:15 & 0:41 (which to me sounds like a cross between a horn & a woodwind) into a specific woodwind like an oboe or a flute. Or develop with the strings alone longer.
Good ear! It's a small woodwind and horn ensemble, actually. Probably sounds more clear on its own.

What confuses the picture is this: Way behind the strings there's a synth pad that comes in at the same time as the woods/horn ensemble, and that might be masking the elements of the ensemble. I dunno if that's good or bad.

I was kinda going for that more unearthly/dreamy/cloudy vibe I couldn't get with orchestral instruments alone. I use synths whenever/wherever if I'm in that atmospheric mood.

The tonality of the ensemble is what led me to creating the piece, and the string line at the beginning was an afterthought that I thought might add a little more vibe.

But I'll mess with it and try out your suggestion! Why not?

Last edited:
But I'll mess with it and try out your suggestion! Why not?
Why not? You're the pro and know the effect that you're going for and having heard that, it makes a lot of sense. Only use the suggestion if it makes it sound better to you. And I really do like the beginning string line.

I'm just a listener with an ear welded to the concept of not 'crossing the streams' between pop/rock and orchestral music, for instrumentation at least. And certain instruments evoke or strongly suggest specific emotions.

Why not? You're the pro and know the effect that you're going for and having heard that, it makes a lot of sense. Only use the suggestion if it makes it sound better to you. And I really do like the beginning string line.

I'm just a listener with an ear welded to the concept of not 'crossing the streams' between pop/rock and orchestral music, for instrumentation at least. And certain instruments evoke or strongly suggest specific emotions.
I'm more of a scoring guy than a pure orchestral composer. Hybrid scores are a big deal in the film/TV world, so I like experimenting with mixed sound sources, and will occasionally 'mix my metaphors' so to speak! ;)

But it all depends on what I'm hearing in my head before I start.

Also there are times the sounds themselves take me somewhere, both traditional and synthesized.

Back