Straplocks

Dunlop strap locks with the stock PRS screw. The screw head on the PRS screw does not recess into the Dunlop button. I do some slight sanding of the edges and it falls right into position. I figure it is better to slightly modify the screw rather than the hole.

anyhow...what brought me to this thread...my Brent Mason has the largest strap buttons I have ever seen. Much larger in diameter than the SE buttons. I can't even get a strap over the button. Came here to see if everyone was ok with that but it seems like a 50/50 split on the use of locking buttons.

I've used Schallers but switched recently to Loxx and so far I like them. I've nearly dropped a guitar sever times which is why I started using them but I have never needed to modify the guitar to make the Schallers or the Loxx fit.

Meh. Stock strap buttons, particularly those supplied on PRSs, work just fine. The only time in my life I ever had a guitar almost take a catastrophic header was at a gig in about 1981, while straplocks were IN USE. I swore off them that very night, removed the stupid things the next day, and have never had another problem in 33 more years. I really think the key is to replace the strap when the hole starts to wear.

DiMarzio Clip Lock on all my guitars. Was just using a standard strap but dropped a guitar once and vowed it'd never happen again.

I had a strap pop off the buttons during a gig (the bassist bumped the head stock and popped it off). The guitar fell and split the head stock. Never again will I have a guitar without them. I have used schaller and Dunlop... Like them both and will use either

Dunlops on all my electrics EXCEPT PRSi. For them I just enlarge the hole in the strap slightly if it won't fit over the strap button.

I had a strap pop off the buttons during a gig (the bassist bumped the head stock and popped it off). The guitar fell and split the head stock. Never again will I have a guitar without them. I have used schaller and Dunlop... Like them both and will use either

Crikey!
I don't have any on my 2 USE Cu24..... should I!?
I'd rather keep all the original PRS hardware on! :)

I always use strap locks, but I do something to most of my guitars that will surely garner a fair share of "What the hell are you thinking?!?" BUT, they are my guitars and it's what I like!

I install the Dunlop's into the body flush up to the point where the button flares back out...

image11-e1441999133483.jpg

(This is my Tele...I already had this picture uploaded somewhere else so excuse it not being a PRS!)

It puts the strap much closer to the body which I like, plus I personally think it looks good and when the strap isn't attached I think the guitars look badass.

I put a couple of #7 rubber grommets around the button before inserting it into the hole - and when tightening the screw down they kind of expand & budge out into the space & I believe it cuts down on any "strap lock noise" that you might otherwise get. I also use the existing PRS screws because I like how long they are...you just have to sand the screw head down a little to get them to fit into the Dunlop buttons.

I have have gotten rid of a couple of guitars I have done this to in the past, and I simply put a PRS strap button over top of the Dunlop button and put the screw back in through both of them allowing the new owner to use a regular strap if he wanted, or he could take off the PRS button and use the in-body Dunlops!

Like I said, a lot of you will probably think I'm crazy for doing this but it's what I prefer!

I also put a few extra buttons on my guitar racks (I use the ones that hold 5 guitars rack-style) so I can attach my straps when I'm not using them...

image12.jpg

Maybe im just nuts.

Last edited:
I always use strap locks, but I do something to most of my guitars that will surely garner a fair share of "What the hell are you thinking?!?" BUT, they are my guitars and it's what I like!

I install the Dunlop's into the body flush up to the point where the button flares back out...

(This is my Tele...I already had this picture uploaded somewhere else so excuse it not being a PRS!)

It puts the strap much closer to the body which I like, plus I personally think it looks good and when the strap isn't attached I think the guitars look badass.

I put a couple of #7 rubber grommets around the button before inserting it into the hole - and when tightening the screw down they kind of expand & budge out into the space & I believe it cuts down on any "strap lock noise" that you might otherwise get. I also use the existing PRS screws because I like how long they are...you just have to sand the screw head down a little to get them to fit into the Dunlop buttons.

I have have gotten rid of a couple of guitars I have done this to in the past, and I simply put a PRS strap button over top of the Dunlop button and put the screw back in through both of them allowing the new owner to use a regular strap if he wanted, or he could take off the PRS button and use the in-body Dunlops!

Like I said, a lot of you will probably think I'm crazy for doing this but it's what I prefer!

I also put a few extra buttons on my guitar racks (I use the ones that hold 5 guitars rack-style) so I can attach my straps when I'm not using them...

Maybe im just nuts.

I like everything your doing there. Very much so.

image12.jpg

Maybe im just nuts.

That is a slick idea! Very cool!

I like the stock buttons, but I like what you did there, Mapleleaf! Looks very customized.

I use Loxx on all my guitars. They are tiny. Actually they look like they wouldn't work well because of the size, but they are great.

image11-e1441999133483.jpg

image12.jpg

Maybe im just nuts.
Not nuts... but perhaps unaware that Dunlop makes a flush mount straplok?

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/flush-mount

I installed a set in an Epi Sheraton I had a while back. Otherwise the straploks stuck out from the neck heel way too far.

DiMarzio Clip Lock on all my guitars. Was just using a standard strap but dropped a guitar once and vowed it'd never happen again.

Me too.
Dimarzio Clip Lock straps are the first thing that goes on whenever I get a guitar. Been using them since the 80's and never, ever had an issue with them. I have had Dunlops and Schallers fail.

Me too.
Dimarzio Clip Lock straps are the first thing that goes on whenever I get a guitar. Been using them since the 80's and never, ever had an issue with them. I have had Dunlops and Schallers fail.

Me 3, only thing I'll ever use is Clip Lock's and again the 1st thing that I put on my guitars.

Back