Strap Lock Question

jmcecil

Just getting started
Always wondered abou this. It looks like the strap buttons for PRS are built for a strap lock. But, I see no info on the size or possible strap clamp side. Are the buttons just a weird size? Or is there a part I can't find?

they are not locking strap locks. They are made bigger to prevent strap from coming off. If you find you do not like them I recommend Loxx strap locks.

PRS strap buttons are just big. I believe they are based on bass guitar string trees. Their sheer size is the safety factor. If you want a true strap lock, you would have to change them out.

Tom

thanks for the answer. The main thing that made me wonder is that #1: It is a total ***** to get a strap over the button. #2: The shaft is about double the thickness of a normal button, so straps don't sit right.

Agreed they are huge, but for a very valid reason.

Ultimately I too went with Loxx strap locks and couldn't be happier with their lower profile design vs other straplock options.

Get ready for a flood of opinion though!

Steve

I went with the Schallers mostly because that was one of the only ones that I knew for a fact had the same screw size as the factory PRS screw so I wouldn't be altering the hole at all. Not saying the Loxx don't, I don't know if they use the same size screw or not, maybe the others can comment on that. But just throwing that out there for consideration when making your selection. I've heard some of the types out there use a bigger screw forcing you to increase the size of the hole so you can't easily go back to the stock buttons.

Just food for thought.

I use a strap from "Whipping Post." Very thick and to install it I had to remove the PRS buttons, push them through and then screw them back on. On my other guitars, I use Dunlops. Schallers are cast pot metal and can fracture, Dunlops have stainless steel stamping which in this use is an advantage; parts would bend before breaking. Most of the people I know don't worry about changing screw hole sizes- to restore the original buttons and screws, just shave part of a toothpick, thin some PVA glue and stick it into the hole along one side; after it dries, turn in the original- it won't show and will be as reliable as when new.

I'm not thrilled about changing buttons on a private stock. I'll probably just live with it. But I appreciate the info so that if I end up with an s2 or something I know the options.

I had the same issue and feel PRS should consider a locking option for its large buttons. I really didn't want to replace the stock but felt I had no choice. With recommendations from the forum participants I selected Schallers and pleased with result. It was an easy trade-out and an added plus that the locking system now keeps the strap completely off the finish; which is a good thing since I use leather and told prolonged contact with the finish on my C24-30th can harm it.

As stated here many a time, I dig my Schaller Strap Locks.
Have them on 8 out of 9 guitars.

The little Fernandes guitar the stock screws were way to big I think to use with the Schallers.

I'm not thrilled about changing buttons on a private stock. I'll probably just live with it. But I appreciate the info so that if I end up with an s2 or something I know the options.

I stated this before, but I've ordered custom straps with a one inch slit from the German company Richter, and they work great even though they're thick. Richter will make them with a custom length slit, and they are extremely high quality leather with memory foam padding. This is what I use with my private stocks with the stock buttons. The first time putting them on they can be a little stiff, but after that it's a breeze. I like this design, but they make many others:

It's also a very simple matter to lengthen standard strap buttonholes the very small amount needed to easily get over the stock button, just use an X-acto or similar blade and lengthen it to one inch in length.

The older design leather signature PRS straps are very easy to use and are made to fit over the button. Some of the newer ones, inexplicably, aren't made with a one inch slit and need a tiny bit of lengthening. But as I said, it's really child's play to do it.

In any case, don't leave a leather strap on a Private Stock PRS with nitro finish permanently, as it might interact with the finish and cause issues (just wearing it while playing is 100% fine). I'll add that with the stock buttons and most straps, strap locks are completely unnecessary unless you do gymnastics onstage.

Last edited:
6.jpg

No issues, other than having to buy a new strap every time I get a new guitar.

Hope you good folks don't mind if I bump this thread rather than start a new one.

Is is there any reason I cannot add Dunlop strap locks to my new Hollowbody II?

Let me say this- I defy anyone without a gas chromatograph mass spectrometer to determine that a strap button hole has been "filled" as I described above. A bit of hyperbole but, really folks, think how stupid the alternative excuse will sound as your beloved axe lays on the floor, broken. As I noted, I trust the PRS stock buttons, but on my other electric guitars I use Dunlop.

Schallers here! Sizing is a one for one trade, no new screw hole action. Granted, the V12 finish isn't the nitro, but my first two DGTs' finish around the straps were (was?) destroyed by the PRS straps - the leather dissolved the finish. The Schallers, which have never failed for me, work perfectly AND keep the strap off the body.

Repost (Sorry, I erased my post by opator´s malfunction).

Just a few days after I received my new 513 end of NOV 11 played my PRS hanging on an original PRS strap at the stock buttons upright. Unexpected the strap slipped off the rear button. In the blink of an eye I grapped the 513´s neck to prevent the
guitar from a serious touch down on the flagstones.
It could have been worse only the angle plug made some dents around jack at the rid.

ALZK-ayqs6G4h_u5zuRHvND8X7Qswtnnc6bYaRsB9oQ=w546-h969-no

The possible image of the dents if the guitar touched down from more than three feet height without dragging would have been nightmare.

For playing upright my beloved PRS with a feel of confidence and security I purchased and installed Schaller Security Locks.

X8Jgmy4Fs04SwSjUQou22ppTmkpZoPY2idQ5KE3RUMU=w1292-h969-no

Back