Strap Buttons on my 2013 CU 24

Dunlop "type" over here.. They're noisy like Les said, but they have a somewhat traditional style that can still be used if you need to borrow somebody else's strap for a second.

But which strap button material provides better tone?

hahahaha Just kidding.

Really, strap locks do tend to clack and clank around and are noisy in a studio environment, and though the large buttons on PRS guitars are a hassle, if you can get the hang of it and/or modify your straps a bit, the buttons are the most secure I have used.

Ironically enough, my triple-digit glove-leather straps need the most TLC/modding in order to be happily secure, whereas the cheap, store-brand type slips on very easily (probably because that type have only one layer of leather).

Oh, and a +1 for leaving the strap on as much as possible.

I was going to change my original button for schaller strap locks. But found that schaller´s screws are smaller. I read in this post of people telling they used the original screw with the new schallers, but in my case they don´t fit....
So I would appreciate any suggestion of what to do, cause I don´t want to put smaller screws. FYI my guitar is a hollowbody I.
Thanks.

When a strap comes off a PRS strap button... it's time to throw the strap away and get a new one. They do stretch out over time. Consider this... a new strap once a year or even every 6 months is way cheaper than a headstock repair...

Another Schaller user here. They are rock solid. The prs buttons are quite large but may let the strap slip out

I've read about some concern with strap locks that the thickness of the strap lock approaches the thickness of the gap between the button and guitar body. Hence, a "too thick" strap lock tends to strip the button out of the hole in the body. Are Dunlop or other named brands "thin" enough for this not to be a problem? Which strap locks should I avoid because they are "too thick", if any? ...and I thought I was the only one that had trouble getting straps over the buttons on my PRS.

Altair-IV

+1 for the Loxx design. I was a Dunlop user for years, but man they would be noisy. They also would fail over time and get harder and harder to remove.

There is only one downside to the Loxx design. You absolutely need to remember to bring your strap with your guitar. Unlike the Schaller or Dunlop designs which still use a typical strap button, the Loxx is useless without the whole set. That aside, I like the design much better. It doesn't seem to make any noise, and the strap itself is very close to the body. Time will tell how they hold up, I've only be using them for a year or so and havent gigged out since.

First, the soft PRS leather bird straps I use go on and off very easily without any modification and stay put. They're really nice straps, too; I got mine the first year they came out, and use them every day without any issues. I'd guess that all the PRS store straps will be the right size for the stock buttons.

Before getting these straps, I lengthened the slit for the strap button on other straps a tiny bit with an Xacto knife, and never had a strap come off in 23 years of playing PRS, in the studio, on stage, etc. Granted, I don't jump around on stage and do tricks, but zero problems.

I'm not a fan of straplocks, they're clacky and noisy in the studio, and I've seen straps attached with straplocks come loose and fall off more often than without them. Some folks love them so I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of them, just explaining my own preference and experience.

Ding! Correct answer (at least for me). The only time I ever came close to an onstage catastrophe was WITH a straplock (Dunlop if you are wondering). I swore off them that night, removed them from my guitars and never looked back. That was 30-odd years ago and I have never had a single problem since. The PRS strap buttons are perfect, and the new Gibson ones are actually pretty great also.

Back