Strap Buttons on my 2013 CU 24

cwgatti

I am having a problem getting my leather strap over the ginormous strap buttons on my PRS CU 24. I feel like I should put some strap locks on, but I was gonna reach out and see if there were some tips you guys could give me regarding this problem. The big buttons have reamed the holes on the strap and now I am leery of wearing the guitar out of fear of dropping it.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

(tongue in cheek) My biggest problems with my strap buttons was the fact there were no felt pads....

:laugh:

I have always had a preference of strap locks. I think the large buttons on PRS guitars are probably the best out there in terms of securing the strap well, but with as much as I remove and replace the strap, I always fear the holes on the strap itself will become worn and end up falling off the guitar further down the road. I use the Dunlop strap locks and they work great.

I actually put the start on and never remove it. Never had a problem aside from the initial pain in the butt of getting them on. I am ok with that however as it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling that it will NOT come off by accident.

But yeah... No felt pads... Bad times. :p

So you used standard Dunlop strap locks? Are the screws the same size or did you just use the existing PRS screws? Not into tinkering with the hardware...at all.

I just unscrew the original button (the big fat one) and put the strap onto the button and then screw the button back on the guitar. It is as secure as a strap lock and works great.

As for felt pads...if the button was going to move around I could see wanting to protect the joint. Since it remains perfectly still, I don't see how they help. I've got a 26 year old PRS and the paint under the original strap button looks like it did when it left the factory.

First, the soft PRS leather bird straps I use go on and off very easily without any modification and stay put. They're really nice straps, too; I got mine the first year they came out, and use them every day without any issues. I'd guess that all the PRS store straps will be the right size for the stock buttons.

Before getting these straps, I lengthened the slit for the strap button on other straps a tiny bit with an Xacto knife, and never had a strap come off in 23 years of playing PRS, in the studio, on stage, etc. Granted, I don't jump around on stage and do tricks, but zero problems.

I'm not a fan of straplocks, they're clacky and noisy in the studio, and I've seen straps attached with straplocks come loose and fall off more often than without them. Some folks love them so I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of them, just explaining my own preference and experience.

So you used standard Dunlop strap locks? Are the screws the same size or did you just use the existing PRS screws? Not into tinkering with the hardware...at all.

Strangely enough, I can't find the Dunlop strap locks I use anywhere....I don't know if they have been discontinued and replaced with a new design, or what, but I have the same model of strap lock on all three of my guitars. Also somewhat strange, the screws that came with the third set of strap locks (newest set, went on a 2012 Custom 24) didn't fit through the button, so I used the original screws. All the other sets worked great with no fitting issues.

I very quickly became frustrated with the PRS strap buttons. They were a PITA even with my PRS straps. I switched to Schallers and used the PRS screws. Now more security and easy on/ off.

I had a strap lock come off my steinberger this weekend and barely avoided an epic disaster. I've also experienced problems with strap locks on my Gibson Explorer. I believe they can lull you into a false sense of security. I mainly use the soft leather birds strap that Les mentioned. I love it! I also have the very thick padded Paul Reed Smith leather strap and it is a bugger to get on and off, but I think my Artist V is worth the effort. I may break out my exacto tonight and perform a little cosmetic surgery on it to ease the process slightly.

That said, I love the PRS strap buttons and I appreciate their size.

I use strap locks and have had issues with them all, until I put on a pair of loxx. these things are awesome. They are on all my geetars now. I will admit, I wanted to try the PRS ones but felt it a pain to work strap on and off.

I had a strap lock come off my steinberger this weekend and barely avoided an epic disaster. I've also experienced problems with strap locks on my Gibson Explorer. I believe they can lull you into a false sense of security. I mainly use the soft leather birds strap that Les mentioned. I love it! I also have the very thick padded Paul Reed Smith leather strap and it is a bugger to get on and off, but I think my Artist V is worth the effort. I may break out my exacto tonight and perform a little cosmetic surgery on it to ease the process slightly.

That said, I love the PRS strap buttons and I appreciate their size.

Not to hijack the thread, but I rock an Artist V, too! :cheers:

I very quickly became frustrated with the PRS strap buttons. They were a PITA even with my PRS straps. I switched to Schallers and used the PRS screws. Now more security and easy on/ off.

Same here. I was cutting the slits on new straps, and then they were too big for my other guitars. I bought a few sets of Schaller strap locks, (enough for the straps I have) and a buttload of extra buttons (StewMac sells them). I used the existing PRS screws.

Oh, they also sell the felt washers… ;)

323777225.jpg

I use the Schaller strap locks as well. For a little extra security, I use some blue loctite on the nut before I wrench it down on the lock. I almost had a disaster with a LP I used to own because the nut backed itself out. The loctite resolved that issue. However, it does make it difficult to remove the lock from the strap, but I have never needed to, and always find myself with more locks than the pins they connect to.

I have been using LockitStraps now for a couple of years. I like the leather models. They are not fancy but the fit just fine with a little effort on oversized strap buttons. Very safe and secure and no messing with guitar mods.

Protect your investment, try strap locks. Or get a new strap, unscrew the strap button and reinstall with the strap so it won't come off. Strap locks are probably cheaper than a new strap. Can't go wrong with Schallers or Dunlops.

I use strap locks and have had issues with them all, until I put on a pair of loxx. these things are awesome. They are on all my geetars now. I will admit, I wanted to try the PRS ones but felt it a pain to work strap on and off.

I did the same, the Loxx brand are pretty cool.
I've had Schaller, and did not care for the design. I've had Dunlop, I actually really like Dunlop, but prefer the flush mount version and could not get myself to drill a sizable hole in my PRS.
Tried the Loxx, and they are really secure, quiet, and close to the body; a pretty slick design. I'll keep the Dunlop's I have but for now, all future Strap Lock purchases will be the Loxx design.

When I got my Brent Mason model, I found that I couldn't get any of my straps to work. (I use Levy's leather ones.) I got a PRS strap and had the same problem--the head of the button is too large for the slit--a sharp knife fixed that, but then the strap was too thick to fit between the guitar body and the head of the button. I tried unscrewing the buttons, forcing them through the holes in the strap, and trying to reinstall the buttons, but the bottom one wouldn't go back on! So I got a set of Dunlop buttons (not the locking ones) that are a bit taller than the PRS ones, and they work fine. I did have to use the PRS screws as the Dunlop screws were a little short, but everything's good and solid now. I've found out that the PRS buttons are the same as Fender Jazz Bass string trees! Who'da thought? Now al I've got to do is find a lighter-weight case to carry the thing in--the standard PRS hardshell weighs a ton!

I like the wide PRS button on the front. At first I was tempted to cut the slit wider to more easilly accomodate the strap but I guess I've figured out the tecnique for getting the strap on there because I can take straps off and on quite quickly. Now it's the read strap button that I have to watch carefully. I had the read of the strap let go yesterday while I was playing. Maybe I'll get a large button for the rear too.

(tongue in cheek) My biggest problems with my strap buttons was the fact there were no felt pads....

:laugh:

hahahahaha!!! I get it. ;)

+1 on the Jamie method - have numerous straps w/the Schaller ends, and unless I buy a new strap, I just buy the buttons from StewMac and use the stock PRS screws.

I prefer to buy the new, unfelt washers, though... :vroam:

Back