Strap button question.

Falcon1

Now that I have my custom 22, I want to put schaller strap locks on it so I won't drop it. I didn't have this trouble on the tremonti but when I tried to install the buttons on the guitar the screws from the prs buttons would not sink down inside. The heads of the screws are too wide and the screws that came with the schallers seem to be too small to sink in stripping some wood or pop out. Is there anything I can do to install these puppies? I appreciate any advice.

Fill the hole with toothpicks, then use the screws that came with the Shcallers.

Awesome....I knew this was the forum for me...you all rock... Thanks for the quick replies. I was just gettin ready to log out haha. I never heard of this being done really. Would I need to add any type of glue along with the toothpicks?

If you pack the hole densely, you probably don't need any glue. That said, I've used wood glue when I've done this.

I took the screw and stuck it in my cordless drill thread side in, and spun the head up against a file. Took some width off the head and it slid right into the button. Had to do this on my LP with schallers too. Figure it's easy enough to buy new screw down the road for resale, not that I'd ever sell them!

Toothpicks work, and they supposedly last forever but I didn't want to run the risk of having to do it again or having to drill out the toothpicks if they ever stripped out too.

This is weird, on my 408 the stock screws worked fine with my Schaller Strap Locks.
I will not use a strap on any guitar with out them.

Last edited:
I took the screw and stuck it in my cordless drill thread side in, and spun the head up against a file. Took some width off the head and it slid right into the button. Had to do this on my LP with schallers too. Figure it's easy enough to buy new screw down the road for resale, not that I'd ever sell them!

Toothpicks work, and they supposedly last forever but I didn't want to run the risk of having to do it again or having to drill out the toothpicks if they ever stripped out too.

That's a very cool (and pro) technique!

I don't use strap locks but that's the way to go.

I installed schaller's on my SE CU24 and the SE screws worked perfect. I didn't use the schaller screws. I guess maybe the PRS USA screws are different size.

I remember reading at one time there was a change to the Schallers and the PRS screws wouldn't work with them anymore, but so far, they've worked for me. StewMac also sells the guitar-side buttons for Schallers - the US PRS screws work just fine with those.

Thanks for the tips everybody. I'm debating which idea i like the best now or do i go with a different type of strap lock system. :confused:

Back