Strange markings on my guitar

lizardking

I just picked up a used 12 string - I'm not a huge PRS guy so I didn't even know they made 12 strings. I was at a guitar show looking for a 12 string Ric when I found this beauty. Metallic Red & Silver headstock & back, it blows any Ric out of the water. When I got it home I noticed a strange phenomenon. There is a symbol branded into the case that is a series of concentric circles with the number 5 in the center. If you look at the guitar body at just the right angle in just the right light the same sign is barely visible under the paint. Did I buy a special guitar or was this instrument taken up on an alien abduction and brought back down with a miniature crop circle left behind???

Could be an Artist Guitar that was repainted? Check inside the pup cavities. They often write notes in there…

Oh, and pics, dammit!

Sorry....I'm new here....to upload pictures...do I need a picture "hosting" service or can I upload pics directly. I don't subscribe to any hosting services...Thanks

C'mon, guys...one of us has to know what the 5 within circles means ...John 5...??...nah...concentric circles...did zack wylde need a 12 string...hmmmmm...anybody???

I got nuth'in............................... But I really want to see some pics :biggrin:
I'd love to....I've been looking for instructions on uploading pictures but haven't found anything. I don't have any hosting service so maybe I can't upload pics.

Not great pics, but is this the one?

http://www.gbase.com/gear/paul-reed-smith-custom-22-12-string-red#

p1_ux5oiydja_so.jpg

p2_u0xxzgjs5_so.jpg

wow....were you in Columbus Sunday? I was going to post a pic of the symbol burned into the case if I could figure out how....you can't see the logo on the guitar unless you look really, really close....I didn't see it until I got it home. Thanks. It's a beauty.

wow....were you in Columbus Sunday? I was going to post a pic of the symbol burned into the case if I could figure out how....you can't see the logo on the guitar unless you look really, really close....I didn't see it until I got it home. Thanks. It's a beauty.

Nope. I was highly intrigued by the description, so I worked up a little Google magic. :top:

That thing is way cool, man! As already suggested, check for writing in the pickup cavities. Maybe check with the dealer to see if they know about its history at all? You can also email the serial number to PRS and they may be able to give some details. For now we know it's a 2006, and it's not a Private Stock. Since the tag in the pic says special order, looks like someone with connections got it special ordered that way.

I think the top was re-fin'd on this guitar. Look at the area where the maple and mahogany would meet in the finger carve, the red paint goes into the mahogany area way too far.

After looking at it closer, I’m positive this guitar started life as a Platinum Metallic and the top was sprayed red after it left the factory.

refin.jpg

refin.jpg

Last edited:
I think the top was re-fin'd on this guitar. Look at the area where the maple and mahogany would meet in the finger carve, the red paint goes into the mahogany area way too far.

After looking at it closer, I’m positive this guitar started life as a Platinum Metallic and the top was sprayed red after it left the factory.

Nice catch Shawn.............. Yup, That is not factory!

then the crop circle below the bridge was probably much more prominent in the original paint. I like it better this way. Thanks....PS. I sent PRS an email to see if they knew what the crop circle was all about.

Last edited:
Could the crop circles also have been a sticker before the refin? Either still there or removed, but an impression made?

Could the crop circles also have been a sticker before the refin? Either still there or removed, but an impression made?

I might have though so but the same mark is burned into the case in a seemingly professional manner.

I did some research and this is the original pattern the imprint in the case was modeled after. It was done by an alien species that doesn't have breasts and upon visiting Earth, of course, they worshiped them once they saw them.

The 5 in the middle represents how many times the aliens have to under psychic reprogramming to get boobs far enough off their mind to get back to normal activities like flying spacecraft.

That's the truth. You can't prove I'm making it all up or that I'm obsessed with boobies.

crop-circle5.jpg

Back