Stinky Hollowbody Cases

I live in a very dry place. Hans knows it, he lived here for a little bit and couldn't run away fast enough, I think.

I just popped open a 20 year-old PRS case and it smells... fine. No stink, no funk, no must. I've never noticed bad smells from my PRS or other cases, including my 17 and 11 year old Hollowbody cases.

I think the OP's problem is very likely the high humidity and mold.

Most of my PRS cases are 5 years old or more. The case for my acoustic is made by the same company as the HB cases, I believe, and it smells nice, no stench at all in the guitar or the case.

I agree that it's likely humidity, mold growth, etc.

As an aside, in the early '90s I turned down a 1953 Les Paul gold top for $3500, because the case was stinky. The stinkiest thing about it was that I missed out on a great opportunity to make a crapload of money down the road.

Oh well.

Most of my PRS cases are 5 years old or more. The case for my acoustic is made by the same company as the HB cases, I believe, and it smells nice, no stench at all in the guitar or the case.

I agree that it's likely humidity, mold growth, etc.

As an aside, in the early '90s I turned down a 1953 Les Paul gold top for $3500, because the case was stinky. The stinkiest thing about it was that I missed out on a great opportunity to make a crapload of money down the road.

Oh well.

Care to hear something else?

First song up on my playlist rotation tonight was "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You." I still consider this one of the best single artist pop songs ever culled outside of a band. Have a great evening folks.

My PRS hollow body case smells like old books but I attribute that to it being in a used bookstore for months before I bought it.

The one case I have that really hits you has a 50's Sherwood Deluxe archtop in it. Supposedly the original pickguard disintegrated and gassed off enough to stain the case and guitar and it still smells.

My PRS hollow body case smells like old books but I attribute that to it being in a used bookstore for months before I bought it.

The one case I have that really hits you has a 50's Sherwood Deluxe archtop in it. Supposedly the original pickguard disintegrated and gassed off enough to stain the case and guitar and it still smells.

I understand that. My Dad's old study/den used to have piles of papers stacked throughout the room along with books and the occasional morning breakfast dish. No presence of flies to speak of, but the carpet, loveseat and room had this ubiquitous old musty smell that was indeed recognizable as my Dad's. Might have been partly his Old Spice cologne, or shaving brush soap. The memory is still fresh like it was 35 years ago.

They say that your strongest memories are built on old familiar smells. My next strongest memory was Sunday dinner at my maternal Gram's house. The dinner plus her signature Chanel #5 perfume will be part of my life forever.

Back