Stinky Hollowbody Cases

antcarrier

Hi!

I have a bunch of PRS guitars which I love, and 4 of these are hollowbodies.
While the guitars are excellent, these cases have a habit of becoming quite stinky after a few years (I have had these guitars for between 5-10 years). There is a horrible, musty smell coming from the cases, and unfortunately it doesn't take long for the smell to marinate into the guitars themselves. One of the guitars (from the stinkiest of the cases) still retains a slightly musty smell coming from the F holes, after being out of its case and sitting on a stand for over a year.

I have attempted to remove the smell with sprays and lots of direct sunlight, but no luck. Still super stinky.

Has anyone else experienced this with the PRS hollowbody cases? I have a bunch of standard PRS cases for solid body guitars, and cases of other brands, and these haven't had this issue at all.

If anybody knows how to remove the stink from hollowbody cases, please let me know. I don't want my favourite guitars all becoming (?)permanently stinky :(

Alternatively, does anybody know of any third party cases that fit a PRS Hollowbody? I'm considering replacing all of them because the smell is becoming so bad.

Thanks!

Between 5-10 years? When did the first one start to smell?
Are you keeping humidifier materials/devices in the cases?
How often are you opening the cases (using the guitars)?

Sounds odd, but worrying all the same.

I have attempted to remove the smell with sprays and lots of direct sunlight, but no luck.

That surprises me. UV and fresh air (more than just a few minutes) always does the trick for me. I don't add any chemicals to the case via sprays or wipes.

I would say that all of my cases start to smell like an old library after some time. While I have no proof, I believe it is due to the decomposition of the glue.

Alternatively, does anybody know of any third party cases that fit a PRS Hollowbody?

Calton.

Between 5-10 years? When did the first one start to smell?
Are you keeping humidifier materials/devices in the cases?
How often are you opening the cases (using the guitars)?

Sounds odd, but worrying all the same.

I'm not sure when it started, a couple of years ago. I don't have a humidifier in the cases. I live in a pretty humid climate, if anything that might be part of the problem. I actually didn't encounter this problem until I moved to Queensland, Australia, which is quite humid for about half the year.
They get played regularly, lack of use certainly isn't the problem.

That surprises me. UV and fresh air (more than just a few minutes) always does the trick for me. I don't add any chemicals to the case via sprays or wipes.

I would say that all of my cases start to smell like an old library after some time. While I have no proof, I believe it is due to the decomposition of the glue.

Calton.

I've tried leaving one out in the sun all afternoon multiple times, but it didn't help a bit. So, I tried some sprays - no luck there either.

Woah those Calton cases are expensive! I'm sure they are great, but that's another level!
Does anyone know of any others?

JZLw7rw.jpg

Seriously, though, I got nothing for you. I’ve got cases older than some people here, but no unbearable musty smells. Maybe a can of Damp-rid in there for a bit. It works for closets and such.

Sounds like a humidity/moisture issue. Too much humidity causes mold/mildew. If perhaps you have domestic animals in the house, these also like to gravitate towards sleeping in the cases. Saliva and pet dander can be rather fragrant if not mitigated with some chlorophyll spray or organic air freshener.

I prefer the chlorophyll, because it's natural and tends to remove mold/mildew odors. The obvious caveat is that, NO, you don't need another "one," so get that notion out of your mind. You'll learn quickly if you adhere to this mindset, and save yourself a lot of worry...

Your smell is likely from a mold. Dave is right, Ozone will kill the mold but you will need to blow it into the case. If you can't rent an ozone generator, take your moldy cases (without the guitars) and put them in a confined space like a closet and put a de-humidifier in there and turn it as dry as you can get it. Run it for a few days and see if it improves due to drying out the mold.

Hi!

I have a bunch of PRS guitars which I love, and 4 of these are hollowbodies.
While the guitars are excellent, these cases have a habit of becoming quite stinky after a few years (I have had these guitars for between 5-10 years). There is a horrible, musty smell coming from the cases, and unfortunately it doesn't take long for the smell to marinate into the guitars themselves. One of the guitars (from the stinkiest of the cases) still retains a slightly musty smell coming from the F holes, after being out of its case and sitting on a stand for over a year.

I have attempted to remove the smell with sprays and lots of direct sunlight, but no luck. Still super stinky.

Has anyone else experienced this with the PRS hollowbody cases? I have a bunch of standard PRS cases for solid body guitars, and cases of other brands, and these haven't had this issue at all.

If anybody knows how to remove the stink from hollowbody cases, please let me know. I don't want my favourite guitars all becoming (?)permanently stinky :(

Alternatively, does anybody know of any third party cases that fit a PRS Hollowbody? I'm considering replacing all of them because the smell is becoming so bad.

Thanks!
Possibility???

25Pmamb.jpg

I seem to remember reading that some people have had success with sprinkinling baking soda into cases, letting it sit for a bit, and then vacumming out the soda. Also, if you can find Ozium that works for when my stuff smells like stale, nasty, dive bar.

+1 on the Ozium. The Ozone would work too. Damp Rid makes pouches that you can toss in there to help with moisture. You can also try the silica form of cat litter, unscented, in some aquarium filter bags. No lie, that stuff works. Got turned onto it in a Cigar Forum. I was on the fence, but tried it. I've been using it in my humidor for a decade, at least. This wouldn't be so much to get rid of the smell, but to keep in the case all the time to help keep the humidity levels down.

As for a case, someone bought a HB with a gig bag, and was looking for a case. He found a cheap alternative. Check out posts 15 and 18 for pics

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/se-hollowbody-2-which-hard-case.42308/

Haha I don't have any pets so its not a dog sleeping in there!
Thanks for the ideas - I'd never head of Ozium, or Ozone machines. I'll try some Ozium first.
Good to know that there is a 3rd party case that exists. Although because of shipping to Australia, it would actually be cheaper for me to buy one of these, locally: https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=654&offset=&c=82&s=75
It wouldn't be a perfect fit, but *should* at least fit inside. I'd have to put something underneath to support the upper half of the body, though.
I will start with the de-stinking solutions first :)

hi antcarrier - I am very interested in this matter.
- Is the smell possibly a preliminary stage of mold formation?
- From which year are the cases that stinks?
- Is it a particular case type, like e.g. Black Paisley Cases, which stinks?
- Do you have any other guitar cases, prs cases or other cases, which do not smell?

Thank you for the answers, which I am very curious to hear!

There are a few reasons why guitar cases smell bad...smoke, pet odors, sweat, strong fragrances, grease or dirt, mold, among them.

It simply means the case isn't clean and could use some airing in sunlight and fresh air. When I used to live in a garaged house, if my case smelled bad, I'd place the case, opened, in the garage with open door in sunlight for the better part of a morning. Sometimes it helps to place an oscillating fan in front of the case to speed "dry cleaning."

Our neighborhood back then was safe enough that no one would venture towards the garage. If perhaps you don't own a garage, a deck or breezeway porch will work. Just be sure to make sure you don't leave the case out if afternoon showers might be forecast...

Last edited:
There are a few reasons why harasses smell bad...smoke, sweat, strong fragrances, grease or dirt, mold, among them.

It simply means the case isn't clean and could use some airing in sunlight and fresh air. When I used to live in a garaged house, if my case smelled bad, I'd place the case, opened, in the garage with open door in sunlight for the better part of a morning. Sometimes it helps to place an oscillating fan in front of the case to speed "dry cleaning."

Our neighborhood back then was safe enough that no one would venture towards the garage. If perhaps you don't own a garage, a deck or breezeway porch will work. Just be sure to make sure you don't leave the case out if afternoon showers might be forecast...
Afternoon showers bring case sours!

I'm not sure when it started, a couple of years ago. I don't have a humidifier in the cases. I live in a pretty humid climate, if anything that might be part of the problem. I actually didn't encounter this problem until I moved to Queensland, Australia, which is quite humid for about half the year.
They get played regularly, lack of use certainly isn't the problem.

I've tried leaving one out in the sun all afternoon multiple times, but it didn't help a bit. So, I tried some sprays - no luck there either.

Woah those Calton cases are expensive! I'm sure they are great, but that's another level!
Does anyone know of any others?
I have the Gator Titan cases for a few of my git fiddles (not my PRS's though)! They are great and seem to be nearly bullet proof. I also keep Boveda 49% humidity packs in them to keep humidity levels in check. I would get Calton cases if I was traveling with my guitars, but I am not, so do not feel the need for a 4 figure case at this point.

Good luck with your smelly boxes!

MW

I second ozium. It'll knock out the smell from the worst of the worst of motorcycle helmets. I use it after a long ride everytime. I'm sure it's up to the task of a guitar case.

Back