New PRS cases!

Update on the D1 Molded ATA case:
I received my new ATA Molded Multi-Fit case from Sweetwater a couple days ago. My Sweetwater rep told me it wouldn’t ship out until May, but it shipped immediately.

He said he can’t get any info on why the listing isn’t live, but they got em and they’ll ship them to you if you reach out directly. Ask for Edward Vigen, he’s efficient.

I just checked and they do have listing for a D2 demo model at a 10% discount at the moment. The specs in the photo were exactly the same as the ones for the D1 though?

As for the case, it’s great. VERY light! Well made, sturdy. They didn’t skimp on quality. One thing that I noticed in the photos was the exterior strip of metal with the bird logo looked flimsy, but it is not. It’s a solid slab of metal, classy.

I wasn’t sure about the fit for my 2017 S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow at first though. The outer dimensions were perfect, the case hugs the body perfectly without squeezing it. The lining is very plush and thick. But the neck didn’t sit perfectly flush into the neck cradle and there was a slight gap below the neck block heel and the bottom of the upper bout. There was definitely a little see saw action going on.

But the lid has great cutouts to protect the top of the guitar (and a well designed pillow to put just a little pressure on the top bottom of the guitar, right in the middle of the lower bouts) so I figured it’d be safe to test my theory. Which was that if I left it in the case for a couple days, the thick padding would compress enough in the right spots for the body to lay flat.

Sure enough it did, the case molded right around the guitar. Fits perfectly now, no see-saw action. At first I figured if it didn’t work it’d still be a great case for home storage/humidity control. Maybe around town now and again. Now I’d definitely feel comfortable flying with it, or shipping.

Because of the recessed spots on the lid I still don’t see any indication that any of the hardware is being pushed upon. I can barely see where the toggle switch hits the lid and that’s probably only because I’m looking for it.

Headstock protection is great. I would post pictures, but it seems the only way to do that is through a separate app like YouTube or Facebook?

Anyway, I highly recommend grabbing this case if you’re lucky enough to have a 2017 S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow. I bet it would work great for all the others with similar dimensions as well 🤘

Welcome and nice review.

IMG-6172.jpg
IMG-6196.jpg
IMG-6198.jpg
IMG-6197.jpg
IMG-6199.jpg
IMG-6200.jpg
DISTORT6 and Shinksma- thanks for the info! Here’s a few photos showing how well the case fits the guitar, as well as some shots of the lid recesses.

Couldn’t help throwing in a shot of the Shadow pickup ring tuner I just installed. I love those things, one goes on every HB guitar I have!

Newbie question: I used Imgur, and when I went to paste the link address to this forum the Forum thumbnail (the link I assumed I’d use), the website thumbnail and “link” addresses were all turned down. The only one that would clear was the “Direct Link”. Is this in line with your experiences? Which link do you use?

I guess I won’t be sure until I post this whether you’ll be able to see the photos right in the post, like shown in the draft here, or if you’ll be given a link to click on. 🤞

IMG-6172.jpg
IMG-6196.jpg
IMG-6198.jpg
IMG-6197.jpg
IMG-6199.jpg
IMG-6200.jpg
DISTORT6 and Shinksma- thanks for the info! Here’s a few photos showing how well the case fits the guitar, as well as some shots of the lid recesses.

Couldn’t help throwing in a shot of the Shadow pickup ring tuner I just installed. I love those things, one goes on every HB guitar I have!

Newbie question: I used Imgur, and when I went to paste the link address to this forum the Forum thumbnail (the link I assumed I’d use), the website thumbnail and “link” addresses were all turned down. The only one that would clear was the “Direct Link”. Is this in line with your experiences? Which link do you use?

I guess I won’t be sure until I post this whether you’ll be able to see the photos right in the post, like shown in the draft here, or if you’ll be given a link to click on. 🤞
Wow, cool tuner! Never saw those before!! Thanks for sharing!!!

OK so the case finally arrived. The D2 model for sure fits the CU 24-08 very well. I have to kind of push the lower bout into the case because it is very snug. No perceived movement of the guitar inside the case with the lid closed.

As for it not having locks, I have a locking ATA case that my PRSi fit in. The core case also locks. I don't personally plan on flying with my core anywhere, but I do take it places and I prefer to keep the stock case is good shape and scuff up this case when I'm gigging or going to a friends house to play. And let's face it, if you lock you guitar in a case and either lose the key or someone else steals it, it is not that difficult to get the guitar out with the right tools. If I were flying, I'd want a lock for sure, but a lock isn't going to save your guitar from getting stolen at a gig if you are just gonna leave it sitting somewhere unattended.

To each their own though. I haven't had a chance to really look the case over as my wife is having a hand surgery today, but it seems like a pretty nice case for the $$$.

And I haven't had a chance to talk to my SW rep yet, but will call to confirm fit and see if they have found out any more about the differences between the D2 and D1 models.

I'm not a fan of gig bags. Do you think the D2 would work well for a SE DGT?

Back