Steinberger Gearless Tuners

robl

I’ve been wanting to try out Steinberger gearless tuners for a while and decided to add them to a PRS CE I just picked up. Very satisfied with the results:
CF465-AB3-D817-4405-8-AC6-B36-BF40-F60-C3.jpg

AC78-F897-2-B23-467-F-837-A-F91799527-AE9.jpg

FB5-DAB1-F-78-CF-46-E6-9-CD9-71-A6-D7649-FF0.jpg

That's so stealth looking, intrigued!! Could you show us the back and the mount holes?
Back is just the 6 thumbscrews you can turn to tune. They mount right through the existing PRS tuner holes without any modification; I only had to drill 1 additional 1/16” alignment hole on the headstock face per tuner (which would still be hidden if I switched back the tuners). If you check StewMac they have diagrams and clear examples. The tuners are absolutely solid and the ratio is an insane 40:1 which might be the most accurate on the market. I’d probably put them on all of my guitars but they really only look good on very specific guitars in my opinion (i.e. I think they’d look ridiculous on a Les Paul but I’ll probably throw some on a Fender when I get bored). Someone asked the materials: They’re metal just like all normal tuners; if you like the look I can’t recommend them enough.

Very interesting. Do you need to make sure you stretch out your strings before clamping them down? The video implies no, but I wonder how far down the tuners have to be turned, and if that gets you up against the limits of tuning up.

Very interesting. Do you need to make sure you stretch out your strings before clamping them down? The video implies no, but I wonder how far down the tuners have to be turned, and if that gets you up against the limits of tuning up.
I did zero stretching prior to clamping and they’re in tune with a lot of extra space to give (although high e is probably the only string at risk; at worst I’ll just reclamp it later). It’s basically a full inch of motion down once clamped which is equivalent to several full rotations on normal tuners. It’s a pretty smart design I’m kind of surprised these aren’t more prevalent.

Back