Se Pauls Guitar tuners

noseedlemon

Hey, I just got a Prs SE pauls guitar and I want to change the tuners. The question is what size the bushings are? I saw some people saying the Gotoh SD90 mgt would fit perfectely, others saying that the bushing is too small.

I found some tuners I would like to buy and the bushings are 8.8mm .( Gotoh SD90 Mgt slb )

Yeah, some say the SD90s are a direct fit, but I wonder…I had an SE Zach Myers (2022) which, as far as I know, has the exact same tuners as the SE Paul’s, and they did not fit.

Hey, I just got a Prs SE pauls guitar and I want to change the tuners. The question is what size the bushings are? I saw some people saying the Gotoh SD90 mgt would fit perfectely, others saying that the bushing is too small.

I found some tuners I would like to buy and the bushings are 8.8mm .( Gotoh SD90 Mgt slb )
Yeah, to second others, no they are not a direct fit. You will need to use a step bit to drill the holes roughly a 16th of an inch wider. Its not hard, and you can buy a cheap step bit from Harbor Freight. PRS, being the idiosyncratic people they are, use a proprietary tuner shaft size for their SE "vintage style" tuners that nothing seems to fit directly.

BTW, I've done this mod several times, and trust me, it aint hard. Just be careful not to allow the drill bit to start dancing.

There are SD90 MGs with a 6mm post and post screw locker. These will drop-in with the stock bushing.

Then there are SD90 MGTs...these are 6.35mm(1/4") posts with the back thumbwheel locker. These require reaming to be able to use a 10mm OD to 1/4" ID conversion bushing.

You want SD90-SLB-MG; not SD90-SLB-MGT.

There are also 9.2mm OD to 1/4" ID conversion bushings, which is closer to the purported OD of the PRS bushing of approx. 9mm.

Last edited:
Phase 3's should drop right in without any mods but you need cover plates to hide vintage tuner impressions and make up the 1mm difference in headstock thickness..

I love these things. Installed it on numerous guitars that I upgraded to phase iii

As for the original question: kluson revolutions (non collared) are drop in. They sell locking and non locking options.

I’m a fan of saying go the phase 3 route. Direct drop in. You don’t have to change the bushing unless you absolutely feel the desire for the bigger look. And the plates listed above cover any indentations left by the previous tuners

Phase 3's should drop right in without any mods but you need cover plates to hide vintage tuner impressions and make up the 1mm difference in headstock thickness..

I love these things. Installed it on numerous guitars that I upgraded to phase iii

As for the original question: kluson revolutions (non collared) are drop in. They sell locking and non locking options.

I’m a fan of saying go the phase 3 route. Direct drop in. You don’t have to change the bushing unless you absolutely feel the desire for the bigger look. And the plates listed above cover any indentations left by the previous tuners

You guys have any pics of those plates installed?

This is the front.. I just used the SE bushings, perfect fit with no movement. Reused SE screws in factory holes with absolutely no modifications at all.. 5 minutes and I can revert it to stock like it never happened.

Would you be a sport and post one showing post hole height over the bushing?

I still don’t understand why they went the vintage route. The phase 3 are great. Should have kept the open back form. I have my doubts the back of the tuner contribute much to the sound! The light weigh form factor is nice.

One more thing...you should use a hand reamer to expand the back head stock holes a bit or the Phase III won't sit flush. Perhaps that's where the little plate suggested helps, and avoids that need.

I always left the ferrules\collars alone. The SE are a perfect fit and if I want to convert back to the stock its still possible. Widening the collar hole seemed excessive, to me.

This was the same type install of Phase III on my SE Pauls Guitar, SE SS and SE 594.

Good luck and let us know what you do! The examples shared here are fantastic.

Back