Static build up

Cliff Climber

Hello all I am very new to this and not to computer savy. I have a McCarty 594 I just purchased in March. I am having an issue with static on the selector switch plate screws on the back. anytime I touch them my amp makes a crackle sound. I have a couple amps and it does it through all of them. any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a Fender delux and a gibson les paul custom and it has never been an issue with them. love the PRS but hate the static

I have this issue with my Teles. You can take a anti-static dryer sheet and rub it in the area that the static is present. This is temporary and you'll likely have to do it every now and again. Also, I have no idea what this may or may not do to the finish.

Just thinking out loud here, but you could run a ground to the screws and quiet it down. There is a ground on the back of the switch so just run a wire to one of the screws under the plastic cover and it should drive the noise to ground.

I have this issue with my Teles. You can take a anti-static dryer sheet and rub it in the area that the static is present. This is temporary and you'll likely have to do it every now and again. Also, I have no idea what this may or may not do to the finish.

I also have the same issue with some of my teles. I have noticed the static pop is dependent on the room/environment. There's a venue I play in MN and it's the worst probably because the stage seems to be isolated and carpeted and the humidity is usually pretty low.

Thank you, I did try this. I took the back plate of my selector switch off and rubbed it with dryer sheet still has static. I sent the guitar back and the actually got sent back to PRS which I thought was cool, PRS really stands behind there products.

Just thinking out loud here, but you could run a ground to the screws and quiet it down. There is a ground on the back of the switch so just run a wire to one of the screws under the plastic cover and it should drive the noise to ground.
I just sent the guitar back to whom I bought it from and PRS requested to have it sent to them. PRS is looking at it now but I will send the suggestion to them. I truly love the way the guitar plays and want it fixed. its the best sounding guitar I have ever played. very easy to play. I have high hopes they will be able to take care of this issue.

I also have the same issue with some of my teles. I have noticed the static pop is dependent on the room/environment. There's a venue I play in MN and it's the worst probably because the stage seems to be isolated and carpeted and the humidity is usually pretty low.
I live in a log home the Northeast. they think it might be due to the humidity. I have a humidifier in the room I play in. I will find out more next week. when I sent it to PRS they were able to simulate the static so I'm just waiting to find out if they have a fix.

In winter (dry air) I had that happen to me with two Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop models whenever my hand was sliding down the neck...
None of the other guitars were doing it, the difference ? These two LPs didn't have any cavity shielding whatsoever. It didn't seem that uncommon from what I saw on forums. The 594 seems to have a similar unshielded cavity (if I trust the very few pictures I found of its controls cavity).

In winter (dry air) I had that happen to me with two Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop models whenever my hand was sliding down the neck...
None of the other guitars were doing it, the difference ? These two LPs didn't have any cavity shielding whatsoever. It didn't seem that uncommon from what I saw on forums. The 594 seems to have a similar unshielded cavity (if I trust the very few pictures I found of its controls cavity).
Did you get your static fixed? I have the same problem i have the blue one also

The anti-static drier sheet method also works great for silencing a pickguard that makes stactic noises when you rub your hand on it.

Just rub it down with one of those unscented little pinkdrier sheets.

And stop shuffling around in your stocking feet on the carpet when playing your guitar. ;)

Back