High E string sounds like a sitar

Hi there - I have recently gotten an SE24-08 (last week) and have been playing it a bit today. I put it down for a bit and, since I picked it up again and had another play, the high E string has developed a sitar-like sound. It is much more prevalent when playing it open (and only slightly noticeable when fretted). Is this the nut and, if so, why did this just happen?
Any help and tips greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Thanks a lot. I am taking it to a chap local to me to get a set up. Apart from the annoyance factor, I presume it is ok to play until I get it to the chap?
Thanks.

Thanks a lot. I am taking it to a chap local to me to get a set up. Apart from the annoyance factor, I presume it is ok to play until I get it to the chap?
Thanks.
Definitely ok to play, won't hurt anything.

I'd also encourage you to read up on doing set ups yourself. It's not hard, just a little know-how and a few basic tools. It'll save you a fair amount of cash over time by not having to bring it to someone, plus enables you to tweak and adjust things to best suit you at any time

Definitely ok to play, won't hurt anything.

I'd also encourage you to read up on doing set ups yourself. It's not hard, just a little know-how and a few basic tools. It'll save you a fair amount of cash over time by not having to bring it to someone, plus enables you to tweak and adjust things to best suit you at any time
Thank you and you are quite right. I suppose, being new to this, I am nervous about making irreparable errors that mean I ruin the guitar! But it is something I want to get proficient at. For Christmas, I got a string winder, a set of feelers and a guage ruler. What are the other things that would be useful to get to build a set up tool set? Thanks again

I've found 'sitar-ing' is usually a bridge saddle issue; the string is rubbing at the point where the saddle rolls away from the string. Sitar bridges are designed to do this. It's called "jawari". It can be fixed with a bit of careful and judicious filing with a needle file, but I wouldn't do this if you aren't familiar with how to do it.

Thank you and you are quite right. I suppose, being new to this, I am nervous about making irreparable errors that mean I ruin the guitar! But it is something I want to get proficient at. For Christmas, I got a string winder, a set of feelers and a guage ruler. What are the other things that would be useful to get to build a set up tool set? Thanks again
That's a good start. Your guitar should have come with a truss rod wrench, and the hex wrench for adjusting the saddle heights. A couple of smaller phillips head screwdrivers will be the other main things you'll need.

As far as "irreparable errors", you're mostly only turning screws, so you can make measurements first and return them to where they were if you don't like the results. The only real exception is the truss rod - it is possible to over-tighten it and strip the threads, but that's not easy to do, it requires a fair amount of force, and would move the neck well beyond where you'd want it for playing anyhow.

There's tons of videos on doing your own set ups, search around and see what you like.
Stew Mac is a great place to start:

I've found 'sitar-ing' is usually a bridge saddle issue; the string is rubbing at the point where the saddle rolls away from the string. Sitar bridges are designed to do this. It's called "jawari". It can be fixed with a bit of careful and judicious filing with a needle file, but I wouldn't do this if you aren't familiar with how to do it.
I was waiting for someone to say ^this^.
My SE-Custom 24 had that issue on the E and the B. The saddles are rounded, I suppose to make the trem a bit less hard on the strings. But that also gave the strings a sound that I thought was like using a slide. That’s what prompted me to take a closer look at the saddles. I carefully filed a flat spot on the inward face of the saddles to eliminate the roll off, and the sitar was gone.

That's a good start. Your guitar should have come with a truss rod wrench, and the hex wrench for adjusting the saddle heights. A couple of smaller phillips head screwdrivers will be the other main things you'll need.

As far as "irreparable errors", you're mostly only turning screws, so you can make measurements first and return them to where they were if you don't like the results. The only real exception is the truss rod - it is possible to over-tighten it and strip the threads, but that's not easy to do, it requires a fair amount of force, and would move the neck well beyond where you'd want it for playing anyhow.

There's tons of videos on doing your own set ups, search around and see what you like.
Stew Mac is a great place to start:
Thanks a lot for this link: really good and informative video.

I was waiting for someone to say ^this^.
My SE-Custom 24 had that issue on the E and the B. The saddles are rounded, I suppose to make the trem a bit less hard on the strings. But that also gave the strings a sound that I thought was like using a slide. That’s what prompted me to take a closer look at the saddles. I carefully filed a flat spot on the inward face of the saddles to eliminate the roll off, and the sitar was gone.
Useful to know; thanks a lot!

So have you found a solution, or is your next tour with John McLaughlin?
I am seeing a chap tomorrow to run through the set up and see what he thinks. I have tried playing with the saddles but no change and, so, I think it must be the nut. However, after playing with the saddles, the sitar noise is only on the downpick not the uppick...curiouser and curiouser...

I am seeing a chap tomorrow to run through the set up and see what he thinks. I have tried playing with the saddles but no change and, so, I think it must be the nut. However, after playing with the saddles, the sitar noise is only on the downpick not the uppick...curiouser and curiouser...
If it happens on a fretted note, it can not be the nut.

Back