Special Semi Hollow LTD's .... MT or LT pickups?

I have the MT's in my Ltd Edition SSH...

qamGI6Z.jpg

I don't know exactly why they changed, but I have the LT's in my 594, 594 HB and HBii so I don't 'feel' like I need to buy a newer SSH with slightly different Pups.

If I had to guess why they changed, apart from the fact that it separates the 'Ltd Edition' from the regular core, is more to do with 'Advancements' within PRS, particularly with their 'understanding' of Pickups and the TCI process. I believe you get a 'proper' Single coil, a true 'split' with the 58/15 LT's as well as a bit less 'output' in HB mode than the 58/15 MT's. In my opinion, the LT's are more 'vintage' HB's (PAF) with the MT's giving a bit more of a 'classic' HB with a bit more bite than the LT's. As for the 'split/tap' tones, I do like the MT's more but still find the LT's in my 594's to be very usable too.

Since they introduced the Special to the 'Core' lineup, you have to also remember that they have 'changed' the Finish as well as TCI tuned their Pickups. The Narrowfield has also been through that - not sure if its 'changed' much from the 59/09 NF I have in my Special but my Special doesn't come with the Nitro over CAB finish that the newer Cores do.

Pups are always going to be a 'personal' preference thing. Whether I prefer the MT's or LT's doesn't mean that you will. If you are buying 'new', you may not find one with the MT's anyway and you may not find the colour/top you like in the specs you prefer - especially if those Specs are no longer being made. I don't know that I would hunt down a Ltd Edition Special just for the 58/15 MT's but I'm glad I have one because I do have 3 guitars with the LT's...

Back