Sound City documentry

I finally found a link that worked and watched it last night, fun movie!

As a side note, let me also recommend "Thomas Dowd and the Language of Music", it's another must see for muso's.

I completely agree, Great ,Great, Great movie! Tom was one of those guys that lived ten lifetimes in one. Amazing person.

Yes - the Dowd movie was excellent.

So is the Les Paul movie, "Catching Sound". And there's a great doc on Lemmy called...well, "Lemmy".

I'm liking some of the stuff but I think you can definately tell that Dave Grohl is involved in alot of it. Highlights for me would be trick with no Sleeve, from can to can't and time slowing down is ok.

and then with vocals

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got around to watching this, great story. I love hearing stuff like this that we would have no idea about otherwise.

Wow that guy from Slipknot has a great voice!

Just got around to watching this, great story. I love hearing stuff like this that we would have no idea about otherwise.

Wow that guy from Slipknot has a great voice!
Thanks for bumping this up, can't wait to check this out.

It's very cool, Hans. The old footage is wonderful to watch and leaves you wanting more. I'd love to know how much footage of those old sessions actually exists.

I saw it a few months back, loved it and highly recommend it.

The recording industry has changed, somethings for the better and some for worse, and most will never get to work or record in an organic, "big" studio. I teach audio engineering and have a love-hate relationship with recording to tape and the same goes for recording digitally. IMHO, a big part of capturing a great performance is the vibe at the moment and working piece meal or individually over distance seems to lack the mojo and vibe of musicians working collaboratively to create art. I'm tempted to make this movie required viewing for one of my classes.

Just bought the CD on Amazon, got it free with rewards points (an added bonus that I didn't realize I had).

I bought it a week or so ago ($25NZ because we get shafted on these things). Watched it about three nights running. DG is one talanted chap. What a perfect life he's built for himself. Anyway, loved the movie. Loved the bit where he's looking puzzled whilst the board's designer is explaining some basic electronic principles. Wonder if he'd be my friend and I could just hang out and jam.... ;-)

What a perfect life he's built for himself.
There's no question he's a talented guy, but the amount of luck he had falling into the drummer spot in some little band called Nirvana at barely 21 years old and being a multi-millionaire by 22 or 23 had a lot to do with it. It's easier to build these things when you have that kind of capital to work with.

Anyone watch his SXSW keynote this year? Pretty interesting.

There's no question he's a talented guy, but the amount of luck he had falling into the drummer spot in some little band called Nirvana at barely 21 years old and being a multi-millionaire by 22 or 23 had a lot to do with it. It's easier to build these things when you have that kind of capital to work with.

There's no doubt Dave got lucky when he became the 8th (or whatever it is) drummer for Nirvana but he worked really hard in a band called Scream, and toured with them extensively on the cheap, before joining Nirvana. He could have rested on his laurels and retired with his Nirvana nest egg but he didn't. I think it's pretty impressive that he switched instruments, wrote every song, played every instrument, and sang every song on the Foo Fighters' debut album. Some people are given their ticket, some people earn it, but most are a combination of both. Dave Grohl created his fortune, in my opinion.

There's no doubt Dave got lucky when he became the 8th (or whatever it is) drummer for Nirvana but he worked really hard in a band called Scream, and toured with them extensively on the cheap, before joining Nirvana. He could have rested on his laurels and retired with his Nirvana nest egg but he didn't. I think it's pretty impressive that he switched instruments, wrote every song, played every instrument, and sang every song on the Foo Fighters' debut album. Some people are given their ticket, some people earn it, but most are a combination of both. Dave Grohl created his fortune, in my opinion.

Totally agreed! Money can´t buy criativity to make a lot of great songs for so many years, and the love for the music that Dave shows on stage are priceless... this guy simply deserves all he achieved.

Just watched it. Credits are rolling as I type this on my iPhone.

Three things come to mind:
1) I feel like I missed out on something I was supposed to be a part of - and I traded it all for money.
2) I want to sell all of my guitars - except one - and take it seriously.
3) The last tune with McCartney was raw, powerful, and my favorite.

Money can´t buy criativity to make a lot of great songs for so many years...

True. I played in bands and thought I was taking it seriously for years but, reflecting now (as I'm apt to do in my late 40s) I realise all the guitar tricks and licks in the world are no substitute for the ability to write a good song and perform it well. Foo Fighters have no end of melodic but powerfull songs and they're so tight! Just a great band. I'd give my left arm to jam with them (but then I wouldn't be able to). Also, the inverted snob in me likes that he didn't come from money.

As a companion piece, if you're feeling the Grohl love, check out the Foo Fighters doc "Back And Forth". It covers the recording of the album they did after this board was installed at Grohl's home studio (I believe it was after this board). It's really awesome, not only watching all the stuff that went into the album, but watching them interact with their families as it happened. There's a scene where Grohl is recording a guitar part and his daughter comes in, pokes him in the back and says (in that way only little girls can), "Daddy, you said we'd GO SWIMMING!" He says something like, "We will, but I have to finish recording this guitar part." And as I recall, never stopped playing. Just a sweet moment.

Here 'tis...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back