Soapbar, light weight PRS available today

RocknPop

So I really miss my Starla X with soapbars... and the only one available is ridiculously priced at 2x of what they sold for used (priced at what it was new). Yes, I know, it's worth what people are willing to pay, I'm not willing to pay $1,400 for a used Starla X.

This leads me to the question - with so few available soapbar light guitars, priced in the $500 - $1,100 range, what are options that are comparable to the Starla X?
- Are the SE models going to disappoint me regarding build quality?
- Is it worth buying a Starla with humbuckers and retrofitting soapbar pups? (does PRS use SD? which model?)
- What else would you consider?

Thanks for the link! So, fair to assume you feel the SE line is up to snuff? Comparable to Starla X quality?

I have 3 SEs with Soapbars. The 245 is heavy, so you wouldn’t be interested in that. But my Soapbar (SC) and Soapbar II (DC) are both under 7 lbs, very resonant and a joy to play.

Like any other SE, you may want to change the nut and the pots (I can live with mine as is). The only reason to avoid these guitars is if you don’t like Wide/Fat necks. They are gems and not as easy to find on the used market as they were a few years ago.

I have an SE Soap bar II and it Rocks...Got it dirt cheap, as the bridge was nudging forward, under the stress of heavier (Than .010's) strings...
and as stated above, BIG necks...which I love. Good luck.

My first PRS was an SE Singlecut Soapie. I still have it. I put a TBX tone control in it. It’s a keeper.

I don’t have a guitar suggestion for you, though I can say the Mira Soapbar was about as good as it gets for lightweight soapys I’ve personally played. What I wanted to suggest was the SD Antiquity P90, if you’re going with a swap. That’s what’s in my 594 Limited, and it’s the best P90 style pickup I’ve ever owned.

Were I ever to retrofit a P90 in any guitar, that would be the pickup I’d use.

SE are awesome, I sure like my Soapbar II Maple. It has a great sound, and the neck is excellent, wide fat with great feel and smooth fret ends.

27281267808_5e2c5a6366_o.jpg

I love my SE One, but mine weighs about 8.5 lbs. After playing the hollowbody and Mira so much, it feels closer to 12 lbs!

...I can say the Mira Soapbar was about as good as it gets for lightweight soapys I’ve personally played.

Agreed! My 25th Anniversary Mira 245 Soapbar--gone but not forgotten--was I believe the lightest electric guitar that I've ever owned, at 6 lbs, 1 oz. Stock pickups were great too; I changed them like a bonehead but I never needed to.

I found this hanging used in a local Indie store for $199. It followed me home. One light set-up and fresh 10's later it's a fun guitar to play that has a great tone inside. And somehow I had to re-join the forum so I could only include the link to my imgur page, not just the photo - starting all over after really being on here from the old Birds & Moons days. oh well.
https://imgur.com/oZIwpZT

Thanks for the link! So, fair to assume you feel the SE line is up to snuff? Comparable to Starla X quality?
Absolutely. Especially the Korean made SEs. Nothing wrong with the SEs coming out of Indonesia, but they were perfected in Korea before the manufacturing went to Indo.

I feel like a S2 standard, thin satin finish, with soapbars, would be something I’d want. Kind of like a LP or SG special but without the baseball bat neck.

I feel like a S2 standard, thin satin finish, with soapbars, would be something I’d want. Kind of like a LP or SG special but without the baseball bat neck.

Haha, I hear you... I just bought a Gibson LP Special and it has a huge neck! ... and I love it :)

Back