So, Vela, Vela good...

markintime

Wood Grain Devotee
I am a weak person. Really weak....

But I think that I am gonna lay the blame for this one at Cantankerous Carl's feet! Just LOOK at what he made me do!

S2VelaBVM-large_zpsvrhq8iws.jpg

Coming in whenever Sweetwater gets it in and sends it out the door to me. The anticipation is, hell,,, , you all know what that's like.

PRS S2 Vela w/ Birds (I love Birds), Vintage Mahogany. Obviously, I had to steal one of their pictures, not having it in front of my camera.

That's pretty much going to quench my GAS for a good while, at least until the lottery comes through.

This will make 2 'hogs now. Suuuuuueeeeeey t!

Most excellent...I take full responsibility. And advise you to play the snot out of her when she arrives! Congrats!

Sexy sexy curves. How does it sit in a guitar stand?

Hey, the rest of you were thinking it.

By that time my hand should be healed to the point where I try my best. Dying to hear it through the Blackstar.

Oh, and thank you.

Heal quickly. You will definitely dig it through the Blackstar...I have an HT Club 40 and HT Studio 20 and it sounds great through both. I prefer the Club 40 with the "vintage" lead channel voicing for the Vela - I think your HT50 head has the same controls.

Sexy sexy curves. How does it sit in a guitar stand?

She doesn't sit...she leans, with poise. Maybe a little to the right, but still graceful. No issues.

F@ckin' Carl...

Seriously. Dude has issues.

Beautiful guitar - What kind of pickups are on this baby?

Starla pup in the treble position and what they're calling a Type-D single coil in the bass position. (I swear I didn't have that memorized)

(Ok, maybe I did :()

I don't even have one, and I have it memorized. Eating up every tidbit of information and impression about Type-D singlecoil.

Starla pup in the treble position and what they're calling a Type-D single coil in the bass position. (I swear I didn't have that memorized)

(Ok, maybe I did :()
Right on. I didn't either! :)

She doesn't sit...she leans, with poise. Maybe a little to the right, but still graceful. No issues.
Also, so right on, Carl. Wait, really? She leans?

Well, my therapist told me this morning that the doctor would probably release me from this splint that keeps the left thumb immobile. I will be in my happy dance then. Now, if I could only dance.

All I have to do now is sell my little 2012 SE Custom Semihollow to help pay for my Vela. Reason: I didn't quite bind with it like I had hoped. Not a single thing wrong with it. It is like new with not a scratch anywhere. II did mod it by going to a black bridge, pup rings, and switch tip because I thought it looked better that way with the McCarty Tobacco Burst finish. Plus the new strings, of course. If anybody reading this thinks they would be interested, just pm me. Otherwise, it'll show up on Ebay after I take a new set of pics of it.

Anyway, thanks for all the great comments, guys. Figured I might find a sympathetic ear or two here.

The unexpected good news from Sean, my Sweetwater rep, is that it shipped today. On their web site they said "We can get it for you!", but I sure didn't think it could happen that fast. Did I mention they are GOOD?

Now, I'm going to look at it for a couple of weeks before I can get down with it. What a tease!

Maybe "sidles"?

No sidling, or leaning for that matter...'twas in jest...

I have an el-cheapo guitar stand, what I can say us that the bottom "U" thingy the guitar body rests on is certainly at more of an angle than it is with more symmetrical designs.

Just for fun, here are some "Factory pics" until I can get a pose in my flower garden, cause there's nothing like the real thing at home.

Full Frontal
S2013551-front-large_zpschqhgl1b.jpg

Close up of back
S2013551-backbody-large_zps1b1wsjov.jpg

Close up angle of front
S2013551-angle-large_zpsratomul8.jpg

Lastly, like the backside of rugerpc's avatar
S2013551-back-large_zpsg1dxkcma.jpg

I'm just torturing myself....

The stand will be like hugging her bottom.

Last edited:
I'm just torturing myself....
be patient... i bet you'll be totally happy with it!
velas look great and are a really interesting and unique instrument...
on a side note, anyone else would be interested in seeing/hearing a maple neck and fretboard on one of these?!
aaah, if they could make it possible to expand the wood selection in the S2 line while maintaining the price point (the US one, not what we have in europe), i'd be in trouble...

It came yesterday! Oh happy, happy day!

I cheated. Only a couple of weeks 'til the splint comes off and since my therapist has me doing all these thumb exercises to strengthen it, I figured a little judicious fingerboard exercise would not be too far afield. It feels so good. Bending is no sweat with the 10's. I asked Sweetwater to go through setup and set the string height as low as possible w/o buzzing. Done. The invoice even showed my note to the techs about that because of my left hand recovery. Nailed it. It practically plays itself, the action is so smooth. I have only run it through my little Blackstar Fly after my wife went to bed so she wouldn't hear and come fussing, but it sounds great. Can't wait to run it through the big boy and give it some serious attitude.

Anyway, even if they expanded the wood selection in the S2 line, I would still have picked this one. I really like the mahogany sound. Hit it with some gain and it can growl at you and mean it.

Oh yeah, pics will come soon as I can set things up.

Hey, I'm thinking of naming her Velma, given her mahogany nature. Eh?

It came yesterday! Oh happy, happy day!

I cheated. Only a couple of weeks 'til the splint comes off and since my therapist has me doing all these thumb exercises to strengthen it, I figured a little judicious fingerboard exercise would not be too far afield. It feels so good. Bending is no sweat with the 10's. I asked Sweetwater to go through setup and set the string height as low as possible w/o buzzing. Done. The invoice even showed my note to the techs about that because of my left hand recovery. Nailed it. It practically plays itself, the action is so smooth. I have only run it through my little Blackstar Fly after my wife went to bed so she wouldn't hear and come fussing, but it sounds great. Can't wait to run it through the big boy and give it some serious attitude.

Anyway, even if they expanded the wood selection in the S2 line, I would still have picked this one. I really like the mahogany sound. Hit it with some gain and it can growl at you and mean it.

Oh yeah, pics will come soon as I can set things up.

Hey, I'm thinking of naming her Velma, given her mahogany nature. Eh?

Happy NGD and congrats, am glad you got to at least try her with the training wheels on...you'll be extremely pleased (maybe giddy even) when you open her up. Digging mine more every day.

And with those curves, I think she's more Daphne than Velma...besides its really hard to say "Velma Vela" really fast over and over. Speedy recovery and enjoy!

And with those curves, I think she's more Daphne than Velma...besides its really hard to say "Velma Vela" really fast over and over. Speedy recovery and enjoy!

Haha. You're right again, Carl, that is hard. Hmmm, "Daphne", has a nice ring to it. Going to mull over that, you've got me thinking now...

Doing a little search, according to nameberry.com, "Vela is one of those rare names that is at once simple, straightforward, exotic, and unusual, at least in the Western World. Besides being an Indian girls' name, Vela is a Southern sky constellation whose name is Latin for sail." It also means, shore or coast. Its origin is Sanskrit.

I will call it "Vela". I know, mysterious, isn't it? ;)

Back