I'm So Confused!

Daryl Jones

non-practicing pacifist
I have the bug for another guitar...duh! But I'm sort of funds constrained so I'm torn. I like the idea of a 24-08, could trade my SE Custom 24 but don't really want to. And the new DGT SE has me drooling. And I sort of have a yearn for a SS. But now a good friend just picked up a pre-owned S2 594 that is simply outstanding, I played it last week and it really blew me away. So I think maybe that's the next acquisition to my family. Given my druthers I want to keep the Custom, it was my 1st PRS so it has some sentiment to it; and it plays great, so I don't need another axe. (Shut up conscience!)
I know it's a highly personal decision and totally subjective. And I do have the GAS for a new amp, like a 5150 or still Jonesing (pun intended) for an Archon. If I won a lottery it would be no decision at all. But I gotta keep peace in the house too.
I should maybe stick to the extra large pizza, that at least does feed the household and another guitar sure don't...:rolleyes:

I don't need another axe.

Yes, you do.

That little voice you hear? That's pride, f*%#ing with your a$$. You need another guitar. Say it.

marsellus-wallace-pulp-fiction-1603269318.png

To be contrarian, I don't think it's a good idea to sell/trade a guitar you feel plays great and are emotionally attached to for something unknown.

With guitar and other instruments I've found it better to keep what I have, if possible, when getting something new. If some time passes and I haven't missed playing the old instrument, and the new one has worked out, then I'll go ahead and sell.

But I've pared down recently and think it's the best thing I've done for my playing in a while. I'm better at focusing on playing instead of switching guitars, and I no longer have the one I felt kind of guilty about owning. (But this morning I saw it listed at the place I sold it to for an eye-watering price). I also parted with the fancier guitars and kept the more workhorse like. Although the extra space in my guitar rack has me perusing listings a bit, and there are so many temptations, but I keep asking myself if that will give me something I can't already get.

But sometimes there is the feeling that it's time to inject something new into your sound and life.

I have the bug for another guitar...duh! But I'm sort of funds constrained so I'm torn. I like the idea of a 24-08, could trade my SE Custom 24 but don't really want to. And the new DGT SE has me drooling. And I sort of have a yearn for a SS. But now a good friend just picked up a pre-owned S2 594 that is simply outstanding, I played it last week and it really blew me away. So I think maybe that's the next acquisition to my family. Given my druthers I want to keep the Custom, it was my 1st PRS so it has some sentiment to it; and it plays great, so I don't need another axe. (Shut up conscience!)
I know it's a highly personal decision and totally subjective. And I do have the GAS for a new amp, like a 5150 or still Jonesing (pun intended) for an Archon. If I won a lottery it would be no decision at all. But I gotta keep peace in the house too.
I should maybe stick to the extra large pizza, that at least does feed the household and another guitar sure don't...:rolleyes:
I have these same type of conversations in my head.
I just don’t post them.:p:D:p:D

My apologies. I thought you were saying something else.

Also…I didn’t realize I was sounding like such a duck.

Cheers

Last edited:
I usually try not to get rid of something to buy something else. I have just accepted the fact that I collect guitars. I'll even keep guitars that I rarely play. I never know, may want it more later on and I'll have it.

Some folks say it's wrong for a guitar not to be played. I don't see it that way. I see it like this, I played them alot when I got them and even if they are currently out of the "rotation" they'll probably eventually get "rotated" back in.

I wanted all of them at one point enough to buy them. I don't own any that are so unique that I'm preventing someone else from enjoying them so I try to keep them.

Many folks collect stranger and/or more expensive things than guitars. Once I decided to think like that I have an easier time making purchases of guitars.

And I do like buying guitars lol.

No decision made on just what I'll get but it will certainly be a tad different/more from what I have now to stay away from the temptation of selling or trading one off. I've set up a fund account to build the cash up. Will take some time so I can shop and test drive at my convenience. I have a good rapport with my dealer so I can hold something for a while there and pick up when I'm ready. Plus I can always access funds in short order if the one should come available.

You really won't get a ton of cash for a SE and if you like it keep it.
for a sub 2K budget I would get SE Silver Sky and a HDRX 20 , the Gold SE DGT is also tempting
If you can break 2K a bit a US Silver Sky ( Used ) and an HDRX 20

No decision made on just what I'll get but it will certainly be a tad different/more from what I have now to stay away from the temptation of selling or trading one off. I've set up a fund account to build the cash up. Will take some time so I can shop and test drive at my convenience. I have a good rapport with my dealer so I can hold something for a while there and pick up when I'm ready. Plus I can always access funds in short order if the one should come available.
Very wise!

I knew I was opening a Pandora's Box with this, and I appreciate the input all of you give me.
What I love most about the guitars I have now is the variety and individual usage I get from them. That is my desire in acquiring another. I reckon I will know when I have the chance to play several more before buying. I've been very fortunate in my special orders and have yet to make a mistake on them. But I knew when I ordered the others exactly what I wanted.
This time I have to feel it in my hands and hear what I can wring out of it. I'll know it when I hear it sing I guess.

Back