So I bought a McCarty...

starscream67

9JPxEbO.jpg

Hi All,

I wrote a post fairly recently about wanting a modern McCarty. Then I saw a 2nd hand 2019 McCarty (picture above) pop up for sale here in the UK and thought why not since private stock funds were still a ways off.

This is my 3rd core guitar (For context I have a CU22 stoptail and SC245 plus a CE24) and I had some thoughts and genuinely wanted to hear about your own.

Before I start, obviously PRSh is a genius, and that goes without saying.

But for me, I think the 25” scale length and 22 frets is the sweet spot for the neck pickup position as the 58/15 TM of the McCarty and the Vintage Bass of the CU22 sound way better to me than the 57/08 in the SC245 and 85/15 of the CE24. And I wonder if this is why the Paul's Guitar has the 25" scale length with 22 frets?

So, do you think it's the scale length/position of the neck pickup or the pickups themselves that I'm drawn to?

I know there is a ton of love here for the McCarty 594 and that it has the LT pickups, but I'm hoping someone can articulate their take on the spec aspects of different models so I can contrast it with my own thoughts.

Disclaimer: I fully appreciate that I'm asking a subjective question but I'm a gearhead who could debate specs all day as it's a genuine fascination. Thanks.

Beautiful McCarty.
Simple tone machine.
Is that bridge original? I don’t remember adjustable bridges on them. <edit> PRS website shows them with non-adjustable bridges.
There’s a video from PRS where they say the McCarty was updated with adjustable stoptail and locking tuners a few years back. They felt this took away from the vintage roots of the guitar so they moved back to non-adjustable bridge, bone nut and vintage non-locking tuners. I think that guitar could be stock for a 2019

There’s a video from PRS where they say the McCarty was updated with adjustable stoptail and locking tuners a few years back. They felt this took away from the vintage roots of the guitar so they moved back to non-adjustable bridge, bone nut and vintage non-locking tuners. I think that guitar could be stock for a 2019
Yes, the guitar is indeed stock. The regular McCarty changed in 2020 to the more vintage spec. I prefer the older spec for the locking tuners (which was circa 2015 to 2019 - PRS have 2 YouTube videos for the McCarty that shows the differences), so it was a no-brainer considering its excellent condition.

For anyone wondering, I thought the McCarty would have the same body thickness as the SC245 just with a double cut, which is why I initially wasn’t interested (as I prefer the CU22 slimness), but in reality, the McCarty body thickness is between the CU22 and SC245 which was a total bonus for me as heavy guitars are not really for me.

Non-scientific and very rough measure at the horn strap button area while still in gig bag:
CU22 - 1.25"
McCarty - 1.5" or just under
SC245 - 1.75"

For anyone wondering, I thought the McCarty would have the same body thickness as the SC245 just with a double cut, which is why I initially wasn’t interested (as I prefer the CU22 slimness), but in reality, the McCarty body thickness is between the CU22 and SC245 which was a total bonus for me as heavy guitars are not really for me.

Non-scientific and very rough measure at the horn strap button area while still in gig bag:
CU22 - 1.25"
McCarty - 1.5" or just under
SC245 - 1.75"
Seriously, thank you for this super nerdy info! For anyone really looking at different guitars or building a private stock these nuggets of information that don’t really exist on the internet outside of forums are so worthwhile.

Great choice. I liked the 58/15 LT better in the McCarty than the 594. I agrees it’s in the perfect sweet spot and PRS went the wrong way to remove the phase 3 tuners.

Back