Silver Sky NGD(!), question about finish

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Ironically, a gold Silver Sky. I ran the racks at my local shop (bigtime F dealer) and couldn't find a Strat that held a candle to the SS. From build quality to tones, it was an easy choice.

The odd thing is, I tried a few Silver Sky models when they came out, and didn't click with them, which is how I ended up with my S2 Studio. The neck finish on this one is more consistent, if memory serves, the other ones had thicker finish on the neck and some uneveness, and for some reason they just weren't ringing out the way I wanted, plugged in or not. But this one is everything that kind of guitar should be!

Things I like: Neck shape, rounder on the back and a little more substantial. No cheesy tint lacquer (poorly) applied to the maple neck, no fret sprout (looking at the big F on those items). And, maybe most of all, that sound!!! All the Strats I tried lacked authority in their tone, because they had no midrange. Bright, glassy tone, but nothing to back it up. The Silver Sky speaks with so much more mid authority, which makes all the pickup positions infinitely more useable. I can't get over playing it into my Sweet 16!

51315996790_fcc983d667_c.jpg

So, a question for someone who might know - this is a late 2019 model (November), what kind of finish is on the neck and body? Memory tells me they were a poly finish on the body, and nitro on the neck. I know they changed to the new finish spec at some point, which I would think is the CAB/nitro over poly on the body, and maybe still just nitro on the neck.

And, has anyone with the same finish as this guitar, if it's nitro on the neck, had any problems with the Hercules wall hangers?

You are correct that 2019 would be a poly body and nitro neck, however it’s unclear when they made the switch to nitro bodies for 2020 builds so a November build could go either way. Mine is the same color, but a September 2019 build, it’s definitely poly.

I also use Hercules hangers, but I wrap the rubber bits in cotton (actually fingers from a glove) just to be safe. No problems after a year and a half.

819181-E4-2-BA7-47-F1-9513-545-A32-ADE301.jpg

I did see a post on social media from John Mann that Golden Mesa is being discontinued which is a shame, it’s my favorite color.

Enjoy your new Silver Sky!

That gold’s a classic color, and always looks great on stage. I’m glad you found one that plays and sounds like you want!

Edit: Mine has been on a String Swing hanger for nearly a year, with no reaction at all at the contact points. I’m not sure if they use the same material as Hercules.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Even with finishes that I don’t think will be affected by a hanger, I use the ankle part of an old (clean) black sock on my Hercules hangers, similar to the glove idea.

I have a 2019 Golden Mesa as well. Poly body, nitro neck. 99% yours is as well. I’ve had mine on the wall or in a hanging stand since I got it and no issues with foam covered bits doing anything to the finish. Not Hercules though. Are they covered with foam or rubber?
Q5rh03n.jpg

Ironically, a gold Silver Sky. I ran the racks at my local shop (bigtime F dealer) and couldn't find a Strat that held a candle to the SS. From build quality to tones, it was an easy choice.

The odd thing is, I tried a few Silver Sky models when they came out, and didn't click with them, which is how I ended up with my S2 Studio. The neck finish on this one is more consistent, if memory serves, the other ones had thicker finish on the neck and some uneveness, and for some reason they just weren't ringing out the way I wanted, plugged in or not. But this one is everything that kind of guitar should be!

Things I like: Neck shape, rounder on the back and a little more substantial. No cheesy tint lacquer (poorly) applied to the maple neck, no fret sprout (looking at the big F on those items). And, maybe most of all, that sound!!! All the Strats I tried lacked authority in their tone, because they had no midrange. Bright, glassy tone, but nothing to back it up. The Silver Sky speaks with so much more mid authority, which makes all the pickup positions infinitely more useable. I can't get over playing it into my Sweet 16!

51315996790_fcc983d667_c.jpg

So, a question for someone who might know - this is a late 2019 model (November), what kind of finish is on the neck and body? Memory tells me they were a poly finish on the body, and nitro on the neck. I know they changed to the new finish spec at some point, which I would think is the CAB/nitro over poly on the body, and maybe still just nitro on the neck.

And, has anyone with the same finish as this guitar, if it's nitro on the neck, had any problems with the Hercules wall hangers?

How did the dealer display it (if it was in fact displayed)?

Regardless, they do make guitar cases you can keep them in.... ;)

How did the dealer display it (if it was in fact displayed)?

Regardless, they do make guitar cases you can keep them in.... ;)

Oh no... now I have to be that guy!!!

The Silver Sky comes with a gig bag, so given my choices of gig bag or just put it on a hanger, I'm partial to the hanger. Gig bags are kinda a PITA to use at home, the tuning keys always get jostled, and I just don't like dragging guitars in and out of them.

Just to clarify, I'm definitely not whining about it not coming with a hard case. Going out of the house, 100% prefer a gig bag for this kind of guitar. They're a utilitarian tool, I'm not as concerned as I would be with my 594, which lives in the hard case.

Maybe I should dig around to see if either of my older generic hard cases will fit.

My search for the right s-type took me away from the Big F as well, but I landed in G&L land for my singlecoil needs.

It's my boyhood dream of what the perfect LP Special/SG should be that has me now into PRS offerings as well.

I didn't end up with the brands I coveted but I got the guitars I wanted in the end.

Maybe I should dig around to see if either of my older generic hard cases will fit.

Nah, I was just kidding around.

I'd probably get the hard case if I got a Silver Sky because I like hard cases, and use those humidipaks to prevent fret sprout and other setup problems. But the gig bags SS' come in are quite nice. If you don't use humidity stuff, it's plenty of protection for the instrument.

I've been using hercules stands and hangers exclusively for the past 10/15 years without an issue. I hear positive about string swing as well, but I'm a hercules guy.

Guitars stay in cases/bags unless being played...and Older Hercules Single stands all day...Only issues I've experienced are the really older spring-loaded handles to adjust height tend to rot and fall off. (Mine are VERY old)
I've removed those handles altogether and put a screw through the 2 tubes/pieces, keeping them at one height...permanently. But they are rock solid.

Cases are a cool reveal when opening and seeing the guitar.

Bags are great for travel and carrying. I use both, and Wall hangers. My S2 nitro has no used on the wall hangers for the last 6 months.

I don't have a Silver Sky.

Back