Silver Sky - First impressions, fretting out?

inthesim

Just took shipment of my SS Moc Sand Satin today..

First impression: Pretty sweet axe! I like the satin finish on the body. Neck is quite a bit beefer than I imagined - feels like a rounded C -- almost Les Paul-esque. I wish back of neck was finished in satin (like the SE) vs gloss. Plays and feels tight light a PRS ought to. Sounds great.

I was concerned about the 7.25 radius as I like my bends - but heard there wasn't a big issue with fretting out on these because they were set up so well... However, I'm fretting out pretty easily - specifically the high E , anything past a whole step is a no go and some whole step bends are even iffy..

I'm reluctantly playing around w/ the idea that I may actually like the SE better for the flatter radius, thinner neck shape, and the satin neck.. HMMMM.. I played an SE at GC through a deluxe reverb reissue tweed and it sounded like angels crying -- which inspired me to get the SS in the first place. But now i'm scratchin' the ole noggin.

Anyone else?

-ITS

EDIT: a small height increase on the high E saddle alleviated pretty much all of the fretting out issue -- sweet!

Last edited:
Yep - sounds like you just need a neck tweak, probably just a small twist of the truss rod. The thing that jumped out from your post was "took shipment" - it's quite possible the changing weather conditions it traveled through affected the neck. I've had mine for a couple years and have never had any bends fret out. And we put it through the paces when it was in the store, specifically trying to get it to fret out.

I like that you took the initiative to turn that adjustment nut. When you learn the physics and mechanics of the instrument of the instrument I love so much, it will truly make you a better player, if only from the basics of knowing what’s going on!!

Back