Show your SE!

WOw, that really is blue. Too blue. And you're right, you can't really see any grain in the top at all, not sure there's a point in having a maple top in this case. Honestly, it looks almost cartoonish. And somewhat cheap without any binding on it. I think having covered humbuckers would help make it look a bit better, but not much. DNW.

Not hating on blue in general, I used to have a beautiful blue Godin. I'm not a fan when the neck and headstock is also blue though.

I retract my previous statement. Here a couple pics of the one in my store.

baabc02b-1259-4bc6-ad90-309bc7005012.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

This would look great with a Chelsea FC or KC Royals sticker on the top.

I love Gibson's Pelham Blue on a LP or SG, I love Fender's Sonic Blue on a strat and maybe a tele. But This PRS blue is just too intense, for me anyway. I don't like the lack of binding either, it would help break up the bluesness of it all. And the headstock being blue isn't good either, I agree with Desperado on that as well.

Ordered my first PRS Monday from Sweetwater. Just arrived today!! This guitar is amazing! Got the SE 245 Cherry Burst. The action was literally set perfectly right out of the box (sounds a bit cliche but it's actually true lol). I compared this guitar to a Gibson Les Paul Studio at a local music store, playing through the same amp that I personally play with and the same settings and this SE blew the Gibson away in every category. The sustain was longer, the pickups were more powerful and clear, the pots and knobs were smoother and easier to roll and the pups cleaned up way better. The SE was more versatile, played better in the neck and just felt better over all. Not to mention sounded better (for the style of music I like to play anyways.) If you just want a classic rock crunch tone, then go with the Gibson Les Paul Studio. If you want more modern rock tones with the ability to still play old school stuff then get the PRS =) I did and I LOVE this guitar. Best $599 I've ever spent in my life .

imagejrnk.jpg

The only thing I plan on doing to this guitar is putting locking tuners on it and adding a split coil to the neck pickup. I think that would sound absolutely amazing. Other than that it needs no improvement.

Last edited:
Congrats mitchewr, I have a similar colour SE Singlecut, and if yours is like mine, the photos don't do justice to the actual colour.

In terms of locking tuners, I was going to put a set on mine but after replacing the nut with a Tusq nut, I haven't had any tuning issues.

That said I do like lockers for the convenience of string changes.

Thanks. And yes, photos do not do that finish any justice. Did you put a 'real' tusk nut on it? I was told that the SEs have an emulated tusk nut on them. Is this true? If it is true, does a 'real' tusk nut make that much difference?

Stunning.
I only wish I had waited and bought mine in that color.

Yea, I've wanted a cherry burst guitar for a while now. A luthier in my area was building a custom guitar for someone and had the cherry burst finish about half done and I loved it. I might not have bought an SE 245 if the cherry burst wasn't available to be honest. Never been a huge fan of a regular sun burst and my Tele is already a sun burst so.

I'm really disappointed in the color choices for the SE Custom 24. The Blue is terrible looking in my opinion and I'm not a huge fan of the sun burst or the grey. They need to re-do the blue and make it not so dark and overwhelming.

Sweet, first one I've seen. How is the 7 strings? Never played one, but it does have me curious. Looks really nice btw.
Thanks! So far, so good! The neck really shines on the guitar. It feels EXACTLY like a Wider-Wide-Thin neck (if that makes sense).
Time will tell.

Welcome to the dark side, my friend.
:biggrin: More like welcome back! This thing is sooo much better then the 7621s, 7620 and Brian Moore C-557 7s that I've had. It FITS! :rock:

I'll do a NGD thread with more pics.

Ordered my first PRS Monday from Sweetwater. Just arrived today!! This guitar is amazing! Got the SE 245 Cherry Burst. The action was literally set perfectly right out of the box (sounds a bit cliche but it's actually true lol). I compared this guitar to a Gibson Les Paul Studio at a local music store, playing through the same amp that I personally play with and the same settings and this SE blew the Gibson away in every category. The sustain was longer, the pickups were more powerful and clear, the pots and knobs were smoother and easier to roll and the pups cleaned up way better. The SE was more versatile, played better in the neck and just felt better over all. Not to mention sounded better (for the style of music I like to play anyways.) If you just want a classic rock crunch tone, then go with the Gibson Les Paul Studio. If you want more modern rock tones with the ability to still play old school stuff then get the PRS =) I did and I LOVE this guitar. Best $599 I've ever spent in my life .
Dang you got yours fast. I ordered my SE CU 24 on the 19th and I'm still waiting for it! :( Glad to hear it's rocking your world though! Gets me pumped up and excited for mine. I can't wait to hear what REAL sustain is going to sound like lol. Personally, I do LOVE the Tobacco Burst...it is a stunner in person!

My first Non-Maryland PRS.
(count the strings :biggrin: )
Congrats on the 7-String! I hope it sounds as good and plays as good as you were hoping for! I wonder what the learning curve/adjusting to the seventh string will be like.

Thanks. And yes, photos do not do that finish any justice. Did you put a 'real' tusk nut on it? I was told that the SEs have an emulated tusk nut on them. Is this true? If it is true, does a 'real' tusk nut make that much difference?

Yup real Tusq fitted. Tuning is definitely more stable than the previous which was pinging every now and then on the G string. The tuning on the G was an issue too even with upgraded tuners (came with Gotoh fitted by previous owner).

Now I have no issues with the guitar at all. My tech set it up beautifully and it plays great. Probably one of my wisest purchases ever.

Dang you got yours fast. I ordered my SE CU 24 on the 19th and I'm still waiting for it! :( Glad to hear it's rocking your world though! Gets me pumped up and excited for mine. I can't wait to hear what REAL sustain is going to sound like lol. Personally, I do LOVE the Tobacco Burst...it is a stunner in person!

Yea it did come fast. But I'm also in the southeastern portion of Michigan so it's not very far from the Sweetware warehouse. Ohh the sustain is amazing. Better than the Gibson Les Paul Studio I compared it to. And even though they average 8 lbs, they're so well balanced that it feels like a feather when you have a strap on it.

Speaking of SE C24s though, I just noticed that on musiciansfriend.com they have a black cherry version! It actually looks pretty good in the pictures. I'm surprised they have that color. PRS.com does't even list black cherry as an option.

Yup real Tusq fitted. Tuning is definitely more stable than the previous which was pinging every now and then on the G string. The tuning on the G was an issue too even with upgraded tuners (came with Gotoh fitted by previous owner).

Now I have no issues with the guitar at all. My tech set it up beautifully and it plays great. Probably one of my wisest purchases ever.

Hhhmm....the tuning has been pretty stable but not perfect. I definitely am going to get some locking tuners and then if I'm still having tuning problems then I'll have a real tusq nut installed. These really do play very well. I played for 2.5 hours last night during band practice at church and my hand never got tired or stiff from playing.

Back