Should we get Silver Skys with humbucker bridge pickups?

Be forewarned that Shawn confirmed here that the SS pickups are not standard Strat size, so measure before you buy.

Also note that the body routing doesn't seem to accommodate the "ears" on standard Strat pickups. That won't be a problem with a lil '59, etc., though.

Or, just hack up that guard and whack new holes in the body! It's a classic style bolt on anyway. They're designed to take abuse and to be workhorses.

It would make no difference to me. I don't use bridge pickups.
My guitars all know this. I've had 3 bridge pickup failures this year. I discovered one last night, though it may have failed weeks back for all I know.

Single coils are my preferred choice in the neck though.

Most folk here have several guitars. Regardless of preference, I enjoy their diversity of sound, pickups, feel and style.

I have still yet to experience a Silver Sky, but I will get around to it as soon as I find one.
I did use a 70's Strat exclusively for 23 years (they were all SSS then). In all that time I never got used to the handling. I persevered with it only because I was in love with the sound.

I have that sound again with an English custom build (Fingerbone) Strat with a HS (Bare Knuckle) config.

My vote would be for HSS with a regular PRS bridge. Could be called Crimson Sky, from the great 70s novel, Shogun.

I wonder if Mayer or the market rules this one. Since it's basically a sig guitar, I would think it hard to convince PRS to make that change.

Agree, so the questions are A) will Maher spec one, knowing it will expand the market of the signature guitar, and B) will PRS take advantage of the chance to sell more guitars by taking these specs, signature or not, and adding a bridge HB?

I’ll take one H/S/S unit in a heartbeat. I love my SS.....pickups, bridge and all but I’d really like a humbucking bridge pickup for “those” type of tones, too. JM expressed his desire to “make it (his guitar) your guitar” and while I find no fault in the OEM bridge pickup (what a superb set of single coils!) it’s still is only going to do what it can as such. I’m seriously thinking of a second SS, modded with a bridge humbucker- either a single coil sized like the OEM DiMarzio in my last ‘57 Vintage hot Rod Stratocaster (and it sounded very good), or a full sized pickup. Eithe that or have a dummy coil installed ala Thomas Blug’s Stratocaster....

For ME, and I’m a huge fan of the traditional PRS bridge, I’d retain the silver sky’s OEM bridge. The functionality is fine, and Part of the sounds of those single coils come from those stamped bridge saddles that John wisely chose to retain.

So that’s what I’d do to “make it mine”, so to speak. YMMV

77268070_189282075542213_67957752492762382_n.jpg

Ahem...

Sadly, not mine.

77268070_189282075542213_67957752492762382_n.jpg

Ahem...

Sadly, not mine.
Very nice.i can’t make out on my phone what brand of pickups those are, but I like how they didn’t bring the bridge pickup too close to the bridge, in spite of the visual offset of the bridge and neck pickups from the middle one. Nicely done!

Back