Should we get Silver Skys with humbucker bridge pickups?

TRJC24PRS

Possibly A New Member
Im sure theres more single coil strat players out there that are transitioning into the Silver Sky but there are SSH players, like me, who want a SSH Silver Sky. (I kinda want to put an EVH franky bridge pickup in a silver sky :p)

Buy a SS and put a humbucker in there, that’s one of the most attainable guitar dreams in the world, relatively speaking.

Hell, you could probably fund half of it with the sale of the bridge pickup.

One of the guys in Iron Maiden has three of those skinny SD Hot Rails pickups in his Jackson Stratocaster style guitar. I can see someone doing the same thing with a Silver Sky, especially since it is reversible if one change their mind.

One of the guys in Iron Maiden has three of those skinny SD Hot Rails pickups in his Jackson Stratocaster style guitar. I can see someone doing the same thing with a Silver Sky, especially since it is reversible if one change their mind.

Duncan JB, Jr. is a really good HB that fits SC.

I have used a JB jr, Hot Rails, and a red Lace Sensor in strats and while they sound good they never ‘felt’ the same to me as a full size bucker. Tone was right but the chunk and feel from the speaker and under my fingers was never all the way right. I much prefer a full size humbucker when possible.

I am betting you will see a bunch of different pickup configs and options based on the SS overtime

I'd prefer an HSS with PRS Pattern Regular maple neck, just like my NF3. That would be my PERFECT HSS guitar. But, I don't think it's going to happen. PRS has tried similar things in the past without a lot of market success, so what is much more likely is a Silver Sky HSS model with all the JM specks except one humbucker. I think they almost have too try to capitalize on the crazy success of the SS. Once they can catch up some, that is. They'll probably wait until sales are no longer backordered, then come out with another slight variation.

I don't see the neck changing though, or as said, it's no longer a JM spec guitar and that is what's selling. So for now, either drop a JB or Little 59 in the bridge, or open it up for a real one... or find another NF3 and drop some great SC's and a new pick guard. THAT would be my ultimate SSS guitar.

Back