Should I PLEK my 2005 PRS McCarty?

McCarty2005

I recently picked up a nice 2005 McCarty, hardly played. It really needs a first-class set up, and I am thinking about paying for the PLEK fret set up. Have any of my PRS brothers had the PLEK treatment? If so, was it noticeably superior and worth the money?

I've had it done to other guitars but not any of my PRS. Yeah, the frets seemed perfect afterwards, but both I did it for really needed it, and it wasn't cheap. If your guitar just hasn't been played much or frequently, all you probably need is a minimal set up and maybe a little fret polishing. Do that first and save some money. Doubt you'll need any more work.

I went with a Plek fret level on a Strat with a twisted neck because of the ability to remove material to "correct" the issues. Happy with how it turned out overall. Price was equivalent to what I would have paid a top luthier for the work, but with quicker turnaround. Also, robots are just cool so it had that going for it. If you think it's a step above a minor setup, I'm sure a human would do just fine.

PTC SERVICES AND PRICES

Set Up: Includes new nut, fret polish, pickup and bridge height adjustment, bridge intonation and a new set of strings$150

All the services of the above Set Up along with leveling and crowning of the frets$200

Convert 5-way switch to 3-way toggle with push/pull tone pot$125

57/08, 59/09 or Artist V pickups installed $475

Re-fret using standard PRS wire or the larger DGT-style wire$450

Install supplied pickups$100

Finish RepairsStarting at $75

I had 2 guitars pleked and I would not recommend it. Stick with PTC. Their work is perfect. Plek will leave you unhappy with amount of fret that is removed during the process.

Good luck!

Got it PLEK'd and my McCarty is flat out unbelievable. Such a perfect guitar now. Just perfect.

Got it PLEK'd and my McCarty is flat out unbelievable. Such a perfect guitar now. Just perfect.

Sweet! I had my McCarty PLEK'd with SS frets (I'd love to send my PRS back home for refrets but I've heard PTC won't do Stainless Steel refrets, unless that has changed recently?) and the guitar is amazing! It was a beast before but I bought it VERY well-loved and some of the frets were pretty much spent. :eek: Lovely PLEK'd SS refret later and she's better than ever! Brought my guitar back to life!

I've heard some great things about the PTC. I haven't had the pleasure of their services, but it sounds like you can't go wrong with them.
My "go to" guy for setups is (Orkie) John Ingram. He does a fantastic job with setups and if you need a refret, he is the man. Orkie can be reached at www.OrkieSpoil.com.
(Hopefully, I didn't break any rules by posting this.)

rws / John

I had a Heritage pleked and it was amazing, but it was Pleked in the first place. The PTC prices are very fair. I would send my PRS to the
PTC.

Back