Should I Buy It?

( . )( . )

Hi all...I'm new to the forum.

I bought a '97 CE 24 trem (black) with HFS/VB pickups and the rotary switch a few months ago for $1000. It's my first PRS - I've played a bunch over the years, but they were all set necks (my buddy collects CUs and old standards) but I'm a bolt on guy. Anyway, love the new guitar - no complaints...

So, I can get an '01 McCarty standard hardtail (orange) in great condition for what I think is a really good deal - $925 on Craigslist.

I've been wanting a LP type guitar to replace the '74 Gibson LP (gold top) that I stupidly sold 20 years ago for way too little money. I'll just say it outright - I love LP tone but hate how most of them play.

I know their have been a lots of comparisons between McCartys and LPs and realize they are different animals. I guess my main question is, "Will the McCarty feel closer to a neck I like than a LP?" I'm mainly a strat/Ibanez guy, and had no problem adjusting to the wide/thin 25" on the CE. I don't mind a chunkier neck, but I'm worried that the combination of the chunkiness and shorter scale will be a problem, especially on the upper frets (which is always my problem area on LPs).

I know the obvious answer is to go meet the guy and play the thing, but it's about an hour and a half away, and he's insistent that someone meet him locally. Opinions appreciated...

Hi all...I'm new to the forum.

I bought a '97 CE 24 trem (black) with HFS/VB pickups and the rotary switch a few months ago for $1000. It's my first PRS - I've played a bunch over the years, but they were all set necks (my buddy collects CUs and old standards) but I'm a bolt on guy. Anyway, love the new guitar - no complaints...

So, I can get an '01 McCarty standard hardtail (orange) in great condition for what I think is a really good deal - $925 on Craigslist.

I've been wanting a LP type guitar to replace the '74 Gibson LP (gold top) that I stupidly sold 20 years ago for way too little money. I'll just say it outright - I love LP tone but hate how most of them play.

I know their have been a lots of comparisons between McCartys and LPs and realize they are different animals. I guess my main question is, "Will the McCarty feel closer to a neck I like than a LP?" I'm mainly a strat/Ibanez guy, and had no problem adjusting to the wide/thin 25" on the CE. I don't mind a chunkier neck, but I'm worried that the combination of the chunkiness and shorter scale will be a problem, especially on the upper frets (which is always my problem area on LPs).

I know the obvious answer is to go meet the guy and play the thing, but it's about an hour and a half away, and he's insistent that someone meet him locally. Opinions appreciated...

Go meet him and if it's not beat to hell I would buy it. At that price you could maybe talk him down a tiny bit, take it home and if you end up not liking it should be able to get your money back out of it.

Solid advise here.

Go meet him and if it's not beat to hell I would buy it. At that price you could maybe talk him down a tiny bit, take it home and if you end up not liking it should be able to get your money back out of it.

Solid advise here.

Yep, I'm with gush on this one. At that price, it's a win, win.

Go play it. If you like the neck, you can always change the pickups to give it more of an LP sound. Upper fret access will be phenomenal even though it`s a double cutaway. Remember, Paul designed it.

What color is the McCarty?;)

Seriously...good advice above!

No idea what the actual color is called...
It's obviously solid mahogany, and it looks orange, not red.

Thanks for the advice guys - I thought it was a no brainer for the price, but I wanted reinforcement...guess I'll make the drive.

Last edited:
If it`s all mahogany, it should have bitchin tone. Can`t wait to hear about this one.

I'm blown away by my Ted and I prefer it to my 513 although I'm a trem guy, it has a beefier neck
But it is truly magical, grab it blindly :)

I have that guitar (McCarty Standard) but sporting P90's. It ROCKS! It lacks the bottom end of a LP, but is so easy to play and the tone is very clean. It has plenty of power, but not boomy like a LP can get. If you want a Fat Bottomed Girl, you may be disappointed. If you want a balanced tone and great playability, it's a solid choice.

Have you tried a different string gauge set for more low end? I run 9-46`s on most of my PRSi. It gives me good bass response. 10-52 would be even better if my hands would stand it.

Have you tried a different string gauge set for more low end? I run 9-46`s on most of my PRSi. It gives me good bass response. 10-52 would be even better if my hands would stand it.
As BB said to the Reverend, "you're workin too hard".

Okay - I'm meeting him tomorrow night to look at the guitar. I'll post the results.

I bought it. It's basically in 8.5-9 condition...slight oxidation on the pickup covers and bridge & some super minor surface dings...virtually no fret wear.

So - the wide fat profile is much thinner than I expected - totally comfortable and easy to play...no real need for me to adjust my playing style so far. Setup is good - forgot to ask seller, but feels like 10s, which is fine by me...straight neck/good intonation throughout.

Also the guitar is much lighter weight than I expected - I'm guessing under 7.5 lbs...

Tonally, I'm digging it. Seems to be capable of more of the Gibson growl/smoothness I was hoping for...waiting until I can properly put it through its paces.

Visually - very pretty. One piece mahogany body in an orange/brown stain (same on back and back of neck). Nice abalone moons.

The case is a bit beat up, but fully functional. No candy, except the case key. He switched the knobs to gold lampshades, but included original black speed knobs.

I'd say I scored for the price - can someone help me figure out how to post pics?

Last edited:
I bought it. It's basically in 8.5-9 condition...slight oxidation on the pickup covers and bridge & some super minor surface dings...virtually no fret wear.

So - the wide fat profile is much thinner than I expected - totally comfortable and easy to play...no real need for me to adjust my playing style so far. Setup is good - forgot to ask seller, but feels like 10s, which is fine by me...straight neck/good intonation throughout.

Also the guitar is much lighter weight than I expected - I'm guessing under 7.5 lbs...

Tonally, I'm digging it. Seems to be capable of more of the Gibson growl/smoothness I was hoping for...waiting until I can properly put it through its paces.

Visually - very pretty. One piece mahogany body in an orange/brown stain (same on back and back of neck). Nice abalone moons.

The case is a bit beat up, but fully functional. No candy, except the case key. He switched the knobs to gold lampshades, but included original black speed knobs.

I'd say I scored for the price - can someone help me figure out how to post pics?

Sweet! Congrats!

As for pics, you have to host the from a photo sharing site like Flickr, or Photobucket. Once you have uploaded your pics there you can use the button in the tool bar to post them, or copy/paste the pic.

Back